I Applaud This Woman For Having The Courage To Say And Do This On Live Tv

"WKBT anchor Jennifer Livingston took a moment during Tuesday's morning newscast (Oct. 2, 2012) to directly address a recent email she received from a viewer about her weight

Good for her. It's nice to see someone who's viewed as a voicebox to relay words from a teleprompter use their platform not politically but as a human.

While I agree that obesity is a huge issue in this country, it's disgusting that people can discredit someone's ability to be a role model or positive figure simply due to their appearance while knowing nothing about their character...whether that has to do with weight, skin color, attractiveness (for lack of a better term), etc.

But being obese unhealthy. I don't understand why fat people get a pass.

I see what your saying and your right..but in retrospect the fact she went on live Tv and confronted this issue and basically told the world yes im fat, married with 3 kids takes a lot of courage and guts.

Good for her. It's nice to see someone who's viewed as a voicebox to relay words from a teleprompter use their platform not politically but as a human.

While I agree that obesity is a huge issue in this country, it's disgusting that people can discredit someone's ability to be a role model or positive figure simply due to their appearance while knowing nothing about their character...whether that has to do with weight, skin color, attractiveness (for lack of a better term), etc.

Rep :smokin

no,

just no.
and I sympathize with mothers the most, because they can have hormonal issues after childbirth.

but it's just 1 person's opinion, she could have left it alone. Instead, she made into some kind of campaign for herself, eff outta here.
1 person says you're fat and unhealthy... so? you're not a hero because you say they're wrong.

what the man said was not bullying in any sense of the word.
repped

Last edited:
what the man said was not bullying in any sense of the word. Her attempt to group being overweight with being black is both laughable and insulting. notice how she made the issue not about her, but rather the "children". She admittedly said herself that she is obese, yet, did not indicate that she was working to change. If the guy had said anything positive about her looks, she wouldn't be making a fuss about it, but instead, because the comment was negative, she is outraged. Grow Up. Continuing to be overweight is conscious decision, not an uncontrollable affliction. 

All that being said, I have no issue with her being on TV nor do I agree with what the "bully" said, but making this incident bigger than it is, is ridiculous. 

Last edited:
I recently read an article that stated being fat in and of itself isn't really unhealthy. It's the sedentary lifestyle that leads to being fat that's unhealthy. For example, a fat person who exercises (doesn't have to be strenuous) regulary will more than likely be more healthy than a "skinny" person who does little to no exercise. Sounds crazy, but the article cited various studies which showed this point. I wish I remember what the article was called :\.

:stoneface:

People saying she's a 'role model' and ****? How is a clinically obese person a role model for young girls?

This whole story just annoys me.

The most annoying thing about her diatribe is that she some how lumps her plight with those who are bullied by racists or homophobes.

But being obese unhealthy. I don't understand why fat people get a pass.
This is true but if a person wants to be obese, it's there prerogative. Same for being anorexic.

Childish ppl constantly referencing it as if was some unknown never heard before insult is lame. To be clear though the choice to be that is not some cross to bear.

Last edited:
I recently read an article that stated being fat in and of itself isn't really unhealthy. It's the sedentary lifestyle that leads to being fat that's unhealthy. For example, a fat person who exercises (doesn't have to be strenuous) regulary will more than likely be more healthy than a "skinny" person who does little to no exercise. Sounds crazy, but the article cited various studies which showed this point. I wish I remember what the article was called
ohwell.gif
makes sense. just being skinny doesn't mean you're actually working your body and putting it through its paces to stay active. 

Oh, and this woman was unnecessarily grand-standing. 

Id be in her like swimwear, no doubt 
pimp.gif

The only part I liked was talking about how on the internet people can say whatever they want in todays society, without any repercussions but if they are face to face with someone they sing a whole different tune...

shes fat, he pointed it out, she got mad and tried to act like it didnt effect her then used it as a speech abt how bullying is bad

hes nt calling her fat, hes just stating the obvious

what the man said was not bullying in any sense of the word. Her attempt to group being overweight with being black is both laughable and insulting. notice how she made the issue not about her, but rather the "children". She admittedly said herself that she is obese, yet, did not indicate that she was working to change. If the guy had said anything positive about her looks, she wouldn't be making a fuss about it, but instead, because the comment was negative, she is outraged. Grow Up. Continuing to be overweight is conscious decision, not an uncontrollable affliction. 

All that being said, I have no issue with her being on TV nor do I agree with what the "bully" said, but making this incident bigger than it is, is ridiculous. 

The most annoying thing about her diatribe is that she some how lumps her plight with those who are bullied by racists or homophobes.

these.
did she describe that email as an attack....srsly?

Last edited:
I recently read an article that stated being fat in and of itself isn't really unhealthy. It's the sedentary lifestyle that leads to being fat that's unhealthy. For example, a fat person who exercises (doesn't have to be strenuous) regulary will more than likely be more healthy than a "skinny" person who does little to no exercise. Sounds crazy, but the article cited various studies which showed this point. I wish I remember what the article was called
ohwell.gif
Being a chubster doesn't add undue stress or increase the workload for the major organs? I don't believe you.

I peeped her response earlier this morning in the breakroom at work and I didn't really have a problem with what I heard,however her response was truncated so I had no idea she took it THERE.

I can't co-sign that foolishness.

the courage to make a speech on a TV show... but not the resolve to hit the gym regularly..

During her speech I was waiting for her to assert that she excersizes and eats healthy..... but she completely ignored the whole point of the email and instead took it as an "attack".

Same email could be sent to a TV personality who smokes...and be about how smoking is unhealthy and isn't a proper habit of a role model....then the smoker could go on a rant about how smokers are being bullied and its just an attack on who they are.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with the overall message of the video (be kind, don't bully), but this was easily one of the stupidest videos I've seen all week. So many stupid things were said:

1) The email commented only on the weight/appearance of the woman and how that might contribute to being a poor role model (that's VERY debatable, but that's besides the point, especially considering she never even addressed the issue in the video). The email didn't comment on the woman's personality, life, or anything other than her weight. So what does it matter if the guy "knows her" or not? The "you don't know me, you can't judge me" logic is overused and stupid. I don't need to know your life story to see that you're fat. I don't need to be your friend either. I don't need to watch your show everyday. I don't need to be a family member.
"I am much more than a number on a scale". When did the email ever say otherwise? All the email said is "on a scale, you're a pretty large number", and then made a pretty stupid conclusion which the woman failed to address.

2) "That man's words mean nothing to me".Then why did she just call the comments "hurtful" and say that people "lifted her spirits" and "supported" her? If she wasn't affected by the letter, her spirits wouldn't have needed any lifting. Plus, why make it personal if it didn't mean anything, considering the message supposedly is a much more general one about bullying?

3) "Don't let your self-worth be defined by bullies". Well, you can't really determine self-worth in isolation, can you?

The email was stupid, and the response was even stupider. If you're going to respond to the email, at least address the main point of it, which would have been easy to do since it's such a stupid claim (fat news anchors negatively influence children).

If this woman was a smoker, and the email said the same thing but substituted being fat for smoking, I'm sure the public's response would have been very different. If you're fat, you'll get judged. Deal with it.

And like someone said, how are you going to state you're fat and then not even mention that you're working on changing that? I'm not saying it's necessarily true, but that makes it sound like this woman's proud to be fat or something.

Last edited:
She's just trying to get famous, get her own reality show.

She really compared this to homophobia and racism? Get her outta here :lol:

Back
Top Bottom