I don't buy the jobs report (200k jobs added) vol. You LIE

Originally Posted by LosPollosHermanos

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

I don't buy it either, nowadays I don't know if a Salary job exists for undergrads with a B.A. It seems like either I have to bury myself in more student loan debt for pursuing an MBA to be considered or work my tail off for another 20 years until I get senior management status and finally get a salary. Ridiculous smh.

I disagree... I got a jobs out of college 50k, and now I found a better job, that I'll be starting in June for 85k. I don't really think it's that hard...
That's GREAT for you (no sarcasm at all.. seriously) but its not that easy for everyone.
It really depends on what your degree is in and where you live. I mean my degree is in

English Writing for %#$&s sake. 
laugh.gif

Not to mention all the work that's being created to fix the roads and bridges across the country.

People need to not be afraid of doing blue collar work. These days people are labeled a failure and looked down upon if you don't have a degree.
As someone said above, our nations infrastructure is in need of some serious work time for people to put down the books and pickup a trade. Ironworkers, pile drivers, welders, cement masons are all gonna be eating pretty well in the coming years. Don't let your pride stop you from getting that money.

I was on unemployment from feb2011 until this past Monday when I started my job. A full year. Within that year I went to the local welding school and got certified, learned the basics, invested some money into some tools and it's paid off. Now I'm working my first job that my welding skills got me starting at 17.00hr. It's a nationally recognized company so I'm sitting pretty as of right now. After I get some experience here I'll head down to work the docks with my dad where ill hopefully join the union and start out making 43.50hr. Where he has comfortably brought in 120k+ for as long as he's been down there working a "blue collared" job.

Get those hands dirty people, it WILL pay off!

Originally Posted by DoubleD Productions

I don't buy it either, nowadays I don't know if a Salary job exists for undergrads with a B.A. It seems like either I have to bury myself in more student loan debt for pursuing an MBA to be considered or work my tail off for another 20 years until I get senior management status and finally get a salary. Ridiculous smh.

I disagree... I got a jobs out of college 50k, and now I found a better job, that I'll be starting in June for 85k. I don't really think it's that hard...
That's GREAT for you (no sarcasm at all.. seriously) but its not that easy for everyone.
It really depends on what your degree is in and where you live. I mean my degree is in

laugh.gif

Copywriter! When I worked for Microsoft, as a PM (internship), our copywriters got paid 50k+, just sayin' it's there!

Originally Posted by 51and3rd

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

Best thing for high schoolers to do is go into a trade. Be a electrician or work on cars. Good pay and you don't come out 100,000 in debt.

BAM, I try to tell my boys this all the time. It starts from the ground up. There are blue color jobs popping up all over the place. These are good times for small business owners and blue collar industry. We are moving tones of raw materials across the railroad. Way more then we where a few years ago. Its gonna take a while but its defiantly on the up.

Not be rude, but so you know, it's blue collared.

Guess that's why I'm blue COLLARD lol always thought it was plain blue collar.

laugh.gif

Copywriter! When I worked for Microsoft, as a PM (internship), our copywriters got paid 50k+, just sayin' it's there!
I'm working entry level at a publishing company right now.. so by all means shoot me some leads! PLEASE!

laugh.gif

I'm working entry level at a publishing company right now.. so by all means shoot me some leads! PLEASE!
You should definitely check out craigslist.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Does the world revolve around you?

I have a good job too, means nothing. I know plenty who are struggling, unemployed, looking for work. Don't be so ignorant and insensitive.

Originally Posted by finnns2003

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Does the world revolve around you?

I have a good job too, means nothing. I know plenty who are struggling, unemployed, looking for work. Don't be so ignorant and insensitive.

You're right, my apologies, I'm not trying to help people out or anything, by shedding light, and having them take action, then to just complain and feel as though everything sucks right now.

Seriously? There are a lot of jobs available....

Let me know your skills, I'll find you career sites with 1000 jobs listed. It's not that hard. As an operations graduate, I had trouble applying to all the jobs available.

If you're interested PM me, or just post on here. Seriously, be positive, and things aren't that hard.....
I totally agree. I appreciate the fact that you're willing to help others out because I think alot of times
people are just overwhelmed with the whole job process, which causes them to drag their feet on 

applying for decent jobs. 
Are you guys serious? Maybe it's because I live in CA, but there are no jobs out here. I was looking for a job for over 6 months and found nothing before I finally got an offer. Thankfully I make a decent living now, but it was ridiculously hard to get a job.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

DoubleD Productions wrote:
LosPollosHermanos wrote:
Seriously? There are a lot of jobs available....

Let me know your skills, I'll find you career sites with 1000 jobs listed. It's not that hard. As an operations graduate, I had trouble applying to all the jobs available.

If you're interested PM me, or just post on here. Seriously, be positive, and things aren't that hard.....
I totally agree. I appreciate the fact that you're willing to help others out because I think alot of times
people are just overwhelmed with the whole job process, which causes them to drag their feet on 

Are you guys serious? Maybe it's because I live in CA, but there are no jobs out here. I was looking for a job for over 6 months and found nothing before I finally got an offer. Thankfully I make a decent living now, but it was ridiculously hard to get a job.

I guess it depends where you live and what field you are. I know right now Engineering is in high demand. I am Mechanical Engineer and I get calls all the time for job opportunities. So I dont think its a lie that they have created a ton of jobs I just think they are specified fields. I know my current company is taking anyone they can get for position.

Originally Posted by jhobson5

DoubleD Productions wrote:

I guess it depends where you live and what field you are. I know right now Engineering is in high demand. I am Mechanical Engineer and I get calls all the time for job opportunities. So I dont think its a lie that they have created a ton of jobs I just think they are specified fields. I know my current company is taking anyone they can get for position.
^ Exactly! It's not even engineering jobs either... For consulting, we literally just hired someone who's an Anthropology Major. We have a history, education and marketing majors on our team. I'm Business and Engineering. You just have to be willing to learn and willing to fight for these jobs, you can't sit around and hope these jobs will walk up to you....

Originally Posted by jhobson5

^ Exactly! It's not even engineering jobs either... For consulting, we literally just hired someone who's an Anthropology Major. We have a history, education and marketing majors on our team. I'm Business and Engineering. You just have to be willing to learn and willing to fight for these jobs, you can't sit around and hope these jobs will walk up to you....

QFT. Thats exactly it. People complain about no jobs but arent willing to change career paths or possibly relocate. There are jobs to be had trust me, you just have to step out your comfort zone and do them. Yes some of them arent your typical 9 to 5s, but a job is a job.

It does depend on where you live. Some cities/states have the jobs. Some don't. What people need to stop doing is thinking that a job by itself is going to get them where they want to be at financially. Its time develop some kind of side hustle or business .

You're right, my apologies, I'm not trying to help people out or anything, by shedding light, and having them take action, then to just complain and feel as though everything sucks right now.
laugh.gif
Right, because these people out here are just complaining and feeling pity.

No, they're applying and applying and not getting it. I know folks who put in hundreds of resumes, apps, etc. and get no callbacks. Loaded resumes too. This may apply for a portion of the unemployed, but many are in situations where they get canned for cutting costs and have it tough finding somewhere else. The silly assumptions are just that, silly.

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

I swear I think they're using the job market to force more ppl into college. Monopoly the college system is.
Ironic since more and more college grads are having a hard time finding work or end up working at Lowe's.

Sad cause I just finished in December and I am running track professionally and that isn't cutting it and I am trying to find a job and I would have never thought that having a degree and tryna find a job would be so hard smh makes me feel like going to college was a definite waste of time good thing I was on full scholarship.

laugh.gif
Right, because these people out here are just complaining and feeling pity.

No, they're applying and applying and not getting it. I know folks who put in hundreds of resumes, apps, etc. and get no callbacks. Loaded resumes too. This may apply for a portion of the unemployed, but many are in situations where they get canned for cutting costs and have it tough finding somewhere else. The silly assumptions are just that, silly.
Yeah, this is getting weird. I'm not insensitive or being rude, I'm trying to get people motivated and help them realize that they can do it!

Other than that, sorry for derailing this thread, continue....

Everyone is "now hiring" but once you apply they give you the stale face and change it up to "yeah we are just accepting applications". I strongly believe in the whole it's not what you know but who you know cause now a days everybody is getting their friends/relatives/fraternity/sorority brothers and sisters those jobs that someone else is highly qualified for. So here is a question for some of you with the so called economy being as bad as it is those of you with degrees what is the lowest amount of money are you willing to accept for a particular job?

So here is a question for some of you with the so called economy being as bad as it is those of you with degrees what is the lowest amount of money are you willing to accept for a particular job?

An  issue here is "overqualified" applicants.  People with years and years of professional experience but are being frozen out even though they are willing to accept less pay.

I will tell you from my experience in hiring people, most applicants SUCK at the interview. From the attire they wear to their inability to listen and answer questions. It's kind of sad.

What you see and hear is the U-3 unemployment rate. What you're referring to is the U-6, which are people who have p/t jobs but seek f/t jobs. That rate is somewhere around 15%, which is a better indicator of real unemployment in this country.

Originally Posted by 3onPar5

I will tell you from my experience in hiring people, most applicants SUCK at the interview. From the attire they wear to their inability to listen and answer questions. It's kind of sad.
the career advisers at my university tell us to focus on preparing for the interview.  The number one complaint against students is that they don't prepare/research the company. 

The jobs market has gaining steam for some months now. This is a good sign of things picking up. How you gonna be mad at that?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by E3LAL

More concerning is underemployment.  Ya you have a job, but that is barely cutting it.
This is part of the problem. I have peers in the IT field making $12-14/hr. That barely covers gas and food, let alone paying for a mortgage or rent. The robbery that companies are pulling on the American people is disgusting. I had a friend send me a job offer he got for a desktop support job for $10.50/hr with no benefits. What kind of #$!! storm is that?

alien.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Someone will take it too out of desperation. These companies wonder why their employee's quality of work isn't where it should be. Well yea look at how much you're offering. Lot of these people getting these jobs too went through some accelerated program, have no experience and often have no idea what the hell their doing **$*@%* the game up. This is the case in various fields.

^People no longer looking for jobs.

Yea, filling out hundreds upon hundreds of applications and still not finding anything can start to put a drain on you. I haven't been unemployed for two years so im not sure if things are the same, better, or worse.

Originally Posted by E3LAL

More concerning is underemployment.  Ya you have a job, but that is barely cutting it.
This is part of the problem. I have peers in the IT field making $12-14/hr. That barely covers gas and food, let alone paying for a mortgage or rent. The robbery that companies are pulling on the American people is disgusting. I had a friend send me a job offer he got for a desktop support job for $10.50/hr with no benefits. What kind of #$!! storm is that?
your peers are obviously not skilled. What skilled IT employee is looking at desktop support jobs? thats an entry level job and even at that thats 10.50 an hour FOR ENTRY-LEVEL thats a job a college kid should have.

Back
Top Bottom