I may be an alcoholic

im in the exact sam eplace as you are... i had to stop due to kidney pain, throwing up and messing my stomach up. $100 plus a night on alcohol for not only me but girls too.

im in the exact sam eplace as you are... i had to stop due to kidney pain, throwing up and messing my stomach up. $100 plus a night on alcohol for not only me but girls too.

laugh.gif
 @ thinking thats being an alcoholic. Not even close, son. Keep drinking.

Originally Posted by blondsoccerplyr

If you just drink once or twice a week, and those two times you do drink you drink heavily, then it's not alcoholism.
people don't know how to read. IT DOESN'T MATTER ON THE FREQUENCY OR AMOUNT. it matters if you continue to do it, knowing that it was adversely impact your ability to perform your responsibilities or maintain certain levels of functioning. it matters if you try and quit but can't do it.

dsm iv criteria for Alcohol Dependence 303.90

A maladaptive pattern of alcohol use, leading to clinically significant impairment or distress, as manifested by three (or more) of the following, occurring at any time in the same 12-month period:

(1) tolerance, as defined by either of the following:

(a) a need for markedly increased amounts of alcohol to achieve Intoxication or desired effect

(b) markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of alcohol

(2) Withdrawal, as manifested by either of the following:

(a) the characteristic withdrawal syndrome for alcohol (refer to Criteria A and B of the criteria sets for Withdrawal from alcohol)

(b) alcohol (or a closely related drug such as valium) is used to relieve or avoid withdrawal symptoms

(3) alcohol is often used in larger amounts or over a longer period than was intended

(4) there is a persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control alcohol use

(5) a great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain alcohol, use alcohol, or recover from its effects

(6) important social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of alcohol use

(7) alcohol use is continued despite knowledge of having a persistent or recurrent physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by alcohol (e.g. continued drinking despite recognition that an ulcer was made worse by alcohol consumption)

Specifiers:
  • With Physiological Dependence: evidence of tolerance or withdrawal (i.e., either Item 1 or 2 is present)
  • Without Physiological Dependence: no evidence of tolerance or withdrawal (i.e., neither Item 1 nor 2 is present)

•   

Originally Posted by blondsoccerplyr

If you just drink once or twice a week, and those two times you do drink you drink heavily, then it's not alcoholism.
people don't know how to read. IT DOESN'T MATTER ON THE FREQUENCY OR AMOUNT. it matters if you continue to do it, knowing that it was adversely impact your ability to perform your responsibilities or maintain certain levels of functioning. it matters if you try and quit but can't do it.

dsm iv criteria for Alcohol Dependence 303.90

A maladaptive pattern of alcohol use, leading to clinically significant impairment or distress, as manifested by three (or more) of the following, occurring at any time in the same 12-month period:

(1) tolerance, as defined by either of the following:

(a) a need for markedly increased amounts of alcohol to achieve Intoxication or desired effect

(b) markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of alcohol

(2) Withdrawal, as manifested by either of the following:

(a) the characteristic withdrawal syndrome for alcohol (refer to Criteria A and B of the criteria sets for Withdrawal from alcohol)

(b) alcohol (or a closely related drug such as valium) is used to relieve or avoid withdrawal symptoms

(3) alcohol is often used in larger amounts or over a longer period than was intended

(4) there is a persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control alcohol use

(5) a great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain alcohol, use alcohol, or recover from its effects

(6) important social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of alcohol use

(7) alcohol use is continued despite knowledge of having a persistent or recurrent physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by alcohol (e.g. continued drinking despite recognition that an ulcer was made worse by alcohol consumption)

Specifiers:
  • With Physiological Dependence: evidence of tolerance or withdrawal (i.e., either Item 1 or 2 is present)
  • Without Physiological Dependence: no evidence of tolerance or withdrawal (i.e., neither Item 1 nor 2 is present)

•   

sounds like you have the self control and resources...so just practice and make it your priority to slow down or stop the drinking/partying....make yourself goals on a calender or something and check them off when you accomplish them...always helps me with stuff as i can visualy see my progress everyday when i look at it.. good luck man

sounds like you have the self control and resources...so just practice and make it your priority to slow down or stop the drinking/partying....make yourself goals on a calender or something and check them off when you accomplish them...always helps me with stuff as i can visualy see my progress everyday when i look at it.. good luck man

Originally Posted by RAWse

that's what I am sayin'

You ain't no damn alcoholic. You said you stopped drinking for 6 months, which means u can control your alcohol.. which means you're not an alcoholic. Just put down the drinks and light up some trees if you're that worried bro

I would be uncomfortable with saying you don't have a problem because you stopped for a while - you hear many people say that they are alcoholics and they haven't had a drink in 20 years - but it's still a problem for them.

I would agree with many of the comments saying that if you think you have a problem then you should seek professional help - they may just say that you're fine and you can fix it yourself but it would be better to be sorted sooner rather than later.

Originally Posted by RAWse

that's what I am sayin'

You ain't no damn alcoholic. You said you stopped drinking for 6 months, which means u can control your alcohol.. which means you're not an alcoholic. Just put down the drinks and light up some trees if you're that worried bro

I would be uncomfortable with saying you don't have a problem because you stopped for a while - you hear many people say that they are alcoholics and they haven't had a drink in 20 years - but it's still a problem for them.

I would agree with many of the comments saying that if you think you have a problem then you should seek professional help - they may just say that you're fine and you can fix it yourself but it would be better to be sorted sooner rather than later.

Originally Posted by WE GET MONEY

Originally Posted by Theta

Originally Posted by YouMadYouBad

Dude your not an alcoholic. Read up on an alcoholic, I think you're more in a stage of getting drunk so you can do reckless things that you would not normally do. If anything you should be more aware of your limits and try not to exceed them. This is coming from a recent graduate who drank daily and partied 5 days out of the week for 3+ years, at one point i considered myself a possible alcoholic but realized I was only enjoying my college experience. Since Ive graduated I'm lucky to have a drink once a week let alone even feel like drinking. If you do indeed feel your situation needs help then go to AA and seek help. Dont ask NT about this issue because this could be more serious then how to pick up a girl at a club or how to get an Asian girl, or relationship advice. Seek professional help or ask your friends how they feel about your behavior.

i came here to say the same thing. youre not even close to alcoholism. ive had friends that have had it really bad (still do). they drink throughout the day, drink as soon as they wake up in the morning, drank liquor through a waterbottle during classes. drinking alone. drink just so they wont have to be sober, not even to feel a buzz. those are the symptoms of alcoholism. not taking a shot too much and boning some chick raw. alcoholism is much, much worse than that. once you have tremors because its been 12 hours since your last drink, then go get professional help.
I couldn't disagree more.  There's no one defining point where one is/isn't an alcoholic. 

OP if you think you drink too much, yet you can't control yourself - that's alcoholism.  Go get some real help.
Unfortunately, it doesnt matter what you (or I) agree or disagree on, because there is a definition of alcoholic. its been outlined in the DSM IV mental health manual - if you want, you can look it up under the dependency section. this dude isnt even close to an alcoholic. hes just kind of dumb and doesnt know when to stop. alcoholism is a heavy, heavy term meaning something different than what has been described.

Originally Posted by WE GET MONEY

Originally Posted by Theta

Originally Posted by YouMadYouBad

Dude your not an alcoholic. Read up on an alcoholic, I think you're more in a stage of getting drunk so you can do reckless things that you would not normally do. If anything you should be more aware of your limits and try not to exceed them. This is coming from a recent graduate who drank daily and partied 5 days out of the week for 3+ years, at one point i considered myself a possible alcoholic but realized I was only enjoying my college experience. Since Ive graduated I'm lucky to have a drink once a week let alone even feel like drinking. If you do indeed feel your situation needs help then go to AA and seek help. Dont ask NT about this issue because this could be more serious then how to pick up a girl at a club or how to get an Asian girl, or relationship advice. Seek professional help or ask your friends how they feel about your behavior.

i came here to say the same thing. youre not even close to alcoholism. ive had friends that have had it really bad (still do). they drink throughout the day, drink as soon as they wake up in the morning, drank liquor through a waterbottle during classes. drinking alone. drink just so they wont have to be sober, not even to feel a buzz. those are the symptoms of alcoholism. not taking a shot too much and boning some chick raw. alcoholism is much, much worse than that. once you have tremors because its been 12 hours since your last drink, then go get professional help.
I couldn't disagree more.  There's no one defining point where one is/isn't an alcoholic. 

OP if you think you drink too much, yet you can't control yourself - that's alcoholism.  Go get some real help.
Unfortunately, it doesnt matter what you (or I) agree or disagree on, because there is a definition of alcoholic. its been outlined in the DSM IV mental health manual - if you want, you can look it up under the dependency section. this dude isnt even close to an alcoholic. hes just kind of dumb and doesnt know when to stop. alcoholism is a heavy, heavy term meaning something different than what has been described.

I just finished my risk reduction class.

It's honestly about thinking.

With anything you do, you make choices and you need make low-risk choices instead of high-risk choices.

And you also need to think about what you are risking when you make these high-risk choices.

It'll probably take something to happen (i.e. a DUI, unwanted pregnancy or something drastic) until you learn. Don't let it get there though.

It's honestly about thinking.

With anything you do, you make choices and you need make low-risk choices instead of high-risk choices.

And you also need to think about what you are risking when you make these high-risk choices.

It'll probably take something to happen (i.e. a DUI, unwanted pregnancy or something drastic) until you learn. Don't let it get there though.

Today was a real hard day for me as it was the first time I really
had to confront my best friend about his drinking. Son really has
a serious problem and I wanna help him before it gets worse.

How does one go about convincing a loved one to get some help?
Originally Posted by young dr0

smh.gif
longest unnecessary 17 weeks of my life.

Today was a real hard day for me as it was the first time I really
had to confront my best friend about his drinking. Son really has
a serious problem and I wanna help him before it gets worse.

How does one go about convincing a loved one to get some help?
Originally Posted by young dr0

smh.gif
longest unnecessary 17 weeks of my life.

Back
Top Bottom