I need help from experienced apartment renters...1st time renter, need to know stuff...

Gill Baka Esq. LLC.

formerly grimlock
Brah's....I'm about to start grad school soon and I gotta get myself an apartment.

I know jack - @%@! about renting besides you give money to a landlord/slumlord

Since i'm moving away for grad school I'm just looking for knowledge that 1st time renters might not know and for helpful sites and tips to get me through this crap.

My knowledge on how to get an apartment is basically confined to craigslist and rent.com

Let the knowledge dropping commence.

Thanks.

Spoiler [+]
pimp.gif

do a walk through before signing, note any preexisting damages
see if you can sub-let

- pick a good location, preferably where you can park your car close to the apartment.  i had little things like an antenna stolen off my ride, alarm went off, etc...also bringing up groceries are a biatch if you park far from your apartment
- unless you have great credit, you'll need to pay 1st month and last month rent $$$ up front

- make sure you have options for cable/tv/internet (can u install a directv dish?)

- try to get an apartment w/built in washer/dryer

- you'll have to pay for gas/water/waste/electricity - so plan on saving $$$ on top of your total monthly rent

- try to get a room where you can view the pool (voyeur status)

post more later 

Originally Posted by NattyBro

do a walk through before signing, note any preexisting damages
see if you can sub-let
Take pictures of literally everything, and keep them in a safe place.
When you leave, no matter how nice your landlord seemed while you were living there, they will most likely try to get you to pay for some %*+%%@** you didn't cause.

Most importantly though once you move in, the minute you find a leak or any kind of damage tell them immediately.

find out if they are units converted into apartments...

we went into a place that were townhomes converted into apartments which we didnt know at first.... when we walked in, you could literally hear every step the people above you are making. After asking questions about being able to hear the folks upstairs they mentioned it was townhomes converted..
sick.gif

Note preexisting damages like NattyBro said... that's crucial.

Also, you should take the location itself into consideration. How far is the nearest convenience store? Gas station? Take a trip to the neighborhood at night if you can to see what kinda vibe you get from it.

Are the streets dirty? Do you see window glass on the streets? Is it a younger crowd or older? Are there any parks near?

I mean, you probably won't find a lease any shorter than 1 year so you'll have to be there for at least that time. I would take 30 minutes or so and list off some important factors that you want out of your place of residence before looking into getting one so you can more easily decide on what's even worth your time to check out.

I've had a problem with parking in the past.. make sure you know where parking is/how far from your apartment it is. I rented in a gated community and had to park my car outside of the gated community after I got towed ($380) after parking in the visitors area. If you will have roommates this may be a problem.

Go through the contract line by line, nothing like rules to make you feel restricted.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Get renters insurance. Seriously.

DO IT!! Can't stress this enough.

Keep everything of value cataloged and accounted for.

my guess is you'll be leasing for a certain time period? 1 year? Find out what happens after the lease end date, will you have to re-sign a 1 year term or can you convert to month to month without rent going up? This will ensure you know what to do after the year is up.. if you want to look for a new place or stay since you'll be on month to month..

I read somewhere that you should pass by the place your thinking about renting at night to see if theres a noisy neighbor that throw parties all night or sketchy people that hang out in front of your building or on the block

I'm in the same boat as OP, so I'll be picking up a few pointers from here...

But if I can provide any info: Try and look for any reviews online for the place you're goina move in...

They normally provide first-hand experience of those who've lived there, also an insight on management, neighbors, maintenance, etc.

I find these reviews to be extremely helpful...

Also, if you have the time ,try and drive around the complex or the immediate area that you'll be staying in. Get a feel of the environment...

I'll be back for more info...

pimp.gif

My first apartment was next to a train track. The landlord told me it only passed by like two times a day.
30t6p3b.gif
Dude was straight lying, that train passed by like 7-8 times a day. Had guests at the house thinking it was a earthquake every time. My advice, go to the place at various times to see how the environment is. Some places are drastically different at night then during the day.

Some more tips already listed.

Get renters insurance
Try to get a place with a washer dryer in it. If not in the unit it should at least have onsite. If onsite, check out the room. Are the machines working or out of order?
Take pictures of the place. If there is something wrong make sure they fix or note it before you sign the lease.
If you have allergies, avoid a place that allows pets.
Does the apartment hold packages? may not seem important now, but you never know.
Ask for specials. As you're a student they may have specials.
also noted earlier, check the lease terms. i.e how long is the lease? what happens after the lease is over? Can you go month to month at the same rate? When is rent due? How can you pay the rent? Can you pay online or is it check only? What happens if the rent is late? etc.
Last thing. Check Internet providers. Like cable, but they only have dish? Want dsl, but they're miles away from the CO? No sense in living in a place where your only internet options is slower than your phone or dial up.

Good luck

No joke check out your neighbours; to be honest if you're young and the party life is your thing, you'll want to be making sure you have like minded people living above/below/around you...

How is your washer/dryer setup? Let it be known that it is a secret money grab, as is working out a parking arrangment with your landlord/superintendent... try to get a garage or a spot close to your door to make life easy

Check the neighbourhood at various times of the day; is it shady? Ask random people in the area if they live at your location, etc. get a feel for it. Is it a high-crime area? Low rent is usually low for a reason; apartment turnover is high, from what I've seen in my area.

Transportation: do you have your own ride/arrangements or are you going to be walking/have to take public transit to get groceries/food, laundromat, etc.

Heating/water bills/cable/internet: Can you get a package/discount deal on any of these? Ask your neighbours what their bills are like; the biggest deception my family got stung with is the heating is crazy expensive in the winter

These are real considerations to take into account since if you don't factor it in the costs will add up AND your experience will suffer.  

1. Put any requests in writing, and ask for any responses to those requests to be put in writing.

2. See if your state has a landlord/tenancy handbook available for download - it's always best to know what your legal rights are as a tenant.

Read the lease carefully especially the part that may address how to break the lease.

Parking. Do you need a parking pass and do spots fill up quick?

Renters Insurance if you have expensive items and want to be insured.

Washer/Dryer. Included or not?

Utilities/Cable: Included or not. If included, are there overages?

Take note of the cars parked in the parking lot. You can sometimes tell what kind of people live in the complex. Also, ask what the qualifications are to rent there, at my place you had to prove that your rent was a certain percentage of your income which made me feel better about the people that lived in the complex.

Originally Posted by PTone

How affordable is renters insurance?  My complex is in the hood and I like toys aka I live a little beyond my means. 

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by PTone

How affordable is renters insurance?  My complex is in the hood and I like toys aka I live a little beyond my means. 

I hear renters insurance for 50k is about 17 a month. I also heard to look at the cars in your area. That makes a difference.

anyone know any good websites for apartments or anything having to do with apartments besides rent.com and craigslist?

Or are those the only 2 that I need to know.

Knowledge is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom