I NEED SOME HELP (Regarding contact lenses)

Merry Christmas NT,

I got some contacts about a week ago, were fine for the first few days, recently when I tried to take em off, the contacts feel like they're suctioned ontomy eye.
It hurts like hell to take em off, and last night I even saw a bit of blood on my lense after I took it off.

Mind you, I was on the computer a few hours before taking them off (they said I wasn't supposed to be) and that may have dried them out? I'm not sure.

What can I do to prevent this from happening in the future, guys?

wash your hands and thats probably a good indication that your eyes are getting infected and not taking in the type of contact you have

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

Merry Christmas NT,

I got some contacts about a week ago, were fine for the first few days, recently when I tried to take em off, the contacts feel like they're suctioned onto my eye.
It hurts like hell to take em off, and last night I even saw a bit of blood on my lense after I took it off.

Mind you, I was on the computer a few hours before taking them off (they said I wasn't supposed to be) and that may have dried them out? I'm not sure.

What can I do to prevent this from happening in the future, guys?
Ok., first of all blood isnt a good thing. So if u see blood AT ALL on your lenses, take out your contacts and go back to the optometrist. Also idont know what kind of contacts your wearing( all day and night, daily, etc.) but it looks like your eye was just dry. Go buy some eye lubricating drops andput them in your eyes when your wearing your contacts and feel them getting dry. Sitting on the computer for a few hours will definitely dry out your eyes.

EDIT: And out of experience, you should invest in some glasses and wear your glasses anytime u really dont need your contacts( like around the house and stuff)

I'm wearing contacts that need to be taken off when sleeping, switched out every month. I'm going to see the optometrist next week.

Edit: By the way, does anyone know if rite aid or walgreens is open right now? I might head out to go buy some eyedrops. (should've done that in the firstplace).

Also, this is only my left eye. If my hands were dirty, then my right eye would also be feeling like this.

It sounds like you either dried out the lenses - which is a factor of the lens type, your eyes and what you were doing. That shouldn't happen even with apretty cheap lens.

Sounds like they don't fit - they should move easily on your eye when you try and move them with your finger - if they don't use an eyedrop or somesolution and then wait a few minutes and try again. If you are having the peel them off your eyes then you will do considerable damage to the cornealepithelium - painful but will resolve in the next 48 hours or so with no ill-effects. If the size is a little small it just makes it much more likely thatlenses stick to your eye.

You need to go back to your optometrist - or a better one - and get a suitable lens. That just shouldn't happen.

It's a funny thing - the US is excellent in many areas of healthcare (except for universal coverage - but that's a political rather than clinicalissue) and in optometry too - but for a country where people are so litigious and malpractice suits common I find it really odd that contact lens prescriptionsare dispensed with not much care - no-one would get a supply of lenses from me without a few weeks trial and then me having a good look at their eyes before Ilet them go with a 6 month supply of lenses.

^Thanks for the help, everyone.

And Kdawg, you're an optometrists over in Europe or something right Kdawg?

I got one last question regarding the fitment. If something like this happens, do you think they're too big or too small or the concavity is off...?

I've had contacts for years. The only time it ever bothers me like that is if I sleep in em all night. In morning it feels like there like glued in and sohard to take out lol. I'm suppose to change em every 2 weeks but usually use em for like a month or more and have never had an infection of any kind butthe blood thing yea never heard of that but I would imagine thats really bad

listen to every advice in here.
first, get some glasses to wear around the house, to go outside for a quick few, like grocery shopping, throwing out the garbage. its not good to wearcontracts 24/7.
wash your hands before you touch your contacts.
buy some eyedrops, your contacts are way tooooooo dry. that only happens to me when i accidently sleep in class, or just wore them too long.
hope that helps.

ive had a few issues for years with my lenses. blood was never one of them.

question for you kdawg if you dont mind answering. ive had a few issues with extended use contacts. I started off with dailies 6-7 years ago, and within 3months, I thought I was ready for weeklys or monthlys. namely those you could sleep 3-4 days in or even just a weekend. So I get those and they just werentworking for me. My eyelids were getting really red and basically, I had an allergy to the type of material the lenses are made with, supposedly. thats what thedoctor eventually told me almost a year later after going through 6-7 brands and just struggling with life in general. I even went a few months taking out themonthlys every night and taking every good care of them. sometimes only using the lenses for half the time they say they are for. but they just werent working.

I got a great explanation from my doctor but never asked him how common that is. Can people be allergic to the extended use contact lense material?

So I go with dailies for about a year with great success and soon want to jump back into weeklys or monthlys as I think technology may have improved since lasttrying. But it happens again, the lenses don't stay where they should and my eyelids are the main reason for that as they are just very very red and"rough". So im back to wearing dailies with great success.

now given, i dont have mouth allergies or anything from springtime flowers and polline.

Ive had these 1 day acuvue moist for about a year now and had good success. expense is whats killing me right now. some other questions. Can I wear these for 3hours one evening, take them out, and get another full day out of them if I leave them in sollution? How bad is it to reuse dailies like that?
Are there any better extended use lenses out there now that may help? Its been a year since my last visit. Of course these questions I could try to contact mydoctor about, but thought I'd ask now. My lenses dont run out for another 4 months so I wont be visiting for awhile

^I think the blood was just me forcing them out, when I shouldn't have. I just really wanted them out and I paid for it....I'll keep everything youguys said in mind.

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

I got a great explanation from my doctor but never asked him how common that is. Can people be allergic to the extended use contact lense material?

So I go with dailies for about a year with great success and soon want to jump back into weeklys or monthlys as I think technology may have improved since last trying. But it happens again, the lenses don't stay where they should and my eyelids are the main reason for that as they are just very very red and "rough". So im back to wearing dailies with great success.

now given, i dont have mouth allergies or anything from springtime flowers and polline.

Ive had these 1 day acuvue moist for about a year now and had good success. expense is whats killing me right now. some other questions. Can I wear these for 3 hours one evening, take them out, and get another full day out of them if I leave them in sollution? How bad is it to reuse dailies like that?
Are there any better extended use lenses out there now that may help? Its been a year since my last visit. Of course these questions I could try to contact my doctor about, but thought I'd ask now. My lenses dont run out for another 4 months so I wont be visiting for awhile

That's not especially unusual - but it's not the lens you are allergic to - it's you - it's an autoimmune thing. You get deposits on the lensand then that inflames your eyelids. You could try a different brand of extended wear lens (they are all similar but slightly different) which may help - but Idon't think it would make much difference - they are all similar enough that you will probably have the same problem.

The best cure is the daily disposable lenses - the only downside is the cost as you have realized. You can't really reuse them - there have been a coupleof good studies done on that and the infection rates go up considerably - as well as the comfort going down.

It's also not really worth it financially - you'd have to do that a couple of times a week to make it worthwhile - so could save yourself 2 boxes foreach eye - so about $100? over the course of a year it's not really a significant saving.

The Acuvue Moist is quite expensive - second only to the Acuvue Tru-Eye. I do a couple of cheaper alternatives - the Coopervision Proclear 1-day and the Bauschand Lomb dailies are pretty good and about 2/3 the price. Worth trying those if you want to save some money.

Serious question: Do any of you contact wearers smoke (MJ) with your contacts on or do you make it a point to only do it while wearing glasses?

Back
Top Bottom