I see firsthand what you guys say about quality...

I'm bulking around on-campus and hoping for the Kobe sighting (he's in-town), and needed to replace my badge. I go into the MJ Building to look at the stuff on-display. Sorry about the iPhone pix, but looking at these OG's you can tell the superior materials that were used. The tumbled leather on those X's look bulletproof and the leather on those I's looks really thick and durable. Comparing it today's retro's, you can see where quality has gone down. I'm never one to complain but all of my OG's are long gone and haven't had any recent purchases to compare w/ an OG. But just visually, the materials used in the past kills what we have now.

That is too much heat
eek.gif

pimp.gif

I never understood why the toe box on retro X's is so much different than the OG's, anyone have any idea?

although I think the Retro toe box is better.
ohwell.gif

whats up with those 7's? Hare sample or something? the tongues are blank.

The toebox on the original 10 came in 2 versions. the early one that tinker designed had the cap that you see pictured. MJ didnt approve it, and the shoe got manufactured and sent to retail. MJ sees the shoes and goes ballistic. the shoe is taken off the shelves, tweaked and re-released.

Thats crazy how icey and unyellowed they are. Just amazing they are still in that condition.

Yeah those are the original toebox of the X's, and then Nike had to change it to a clean toebox!
smile.gif

I wondered too if those are some sample VII's??? With the all red tongue...
I think these are not original, but some new ones, just they made them in high quality... I don't know, I just think this way...

that's some good info to know. i didn't know that about the X's either. i'll upload some pix of the rest of the exhibit as well. those were nothing special. those VII's did look a little too clean for them to be OG, but the I's that are there are immaculate, too. i wish i had that 4S camera on here because you should see how thick the suede is on those VII's. i'm back home until tuesday and seeing if i can be granted an access pass for campus, so i'll go back and take another picture.

but these quality issues, i wish we could get on the new stuff. even the leather on the XII's was insanely durable (visually). i think the campus employees were looking at me funny when i was inspecting them in the case. i was just amazed since the last OG i had of any relevance (and sold) was back in 2002 when i got rid of my collection OG XII and on (the XI retro's as well). i'm new to this OG game per-se.

ha ha BSD, the thought crossed my mind in regards to all of them...

man though - the original molded high-quality AJ2...something I've never enjoyed on foot
i imagine they are like moon-boot pillows on your feet

Excellent pictures and I share the same sentiments as you.

What's really bothersome is that $150 JB retros feature the same materials as some $80 entry level Nikes. There's no justification for paying $70 for the nostalgia factor alone. And JB cannot be considered a marquee brand as long as they keep over-saturating the market with mediocre Team/Jumpman product.

Back
Top Bottom