I.T purchased a 90% stake in A Bathing Ape for $2.8 Million

Originally Posted by 430AM

Is the Bape store in LA on Melrose still open?

That whole Melrose strip is garbage now. I was there in October of 2010 and all I seen was closed down store-fronts. When I was there in '06 though, that strip was live. Crazy how much 4 years can do..

No, we aren't that big... Also to answer your other questions, we don't have investors, Ben and I started this with our own money. A few hundred bucks each. Still 100% owned and operated by us.  As to who our customers are? That one's not so easily answerable, we're all over the boards.  White, Black, Asian, Latino, skater, sneakerhead, punk, fashion, streetwear, it depends on which city, it can depend on which school in that city, and so on. I really don't know who our specific customer is, but then again, we never aimed for a particular kid. 

No, we aren't that big... Also to answer your other questions, we don't have investors, Ben and I started this with our own money. A few hundred bucks each. Still 100% owned and operated by us.  As to who our customers are? That one's not so easily answerable, we're all over the boards.  White, Black, Asian, Latino, skater, sneakerhead, punk, fashion, streetwear, it depends on which city, it can depend on which school in that city, and so on. I really don't know who our specific customer is, but then again, we never aimed for a particular kid. 

Originally Posted by bobbytripledigits

Did you ok the clearance for your shirt being used in that episode of Entourage? Like who contacted who the show or you guys? I though that was cool to see the company making moves like that.

Did you ok the clearance for your shirt being used in that episode of Entourage? Like who contacted who the show or you guys? I though that was cool to see the company making moves like that.

Nope, no one contacted us about that. That same weekend, the brand was on one of those 16 & Pregnant shows and also an episode of Hard Knocks. Again, no one asked us.  It happens, oh well.

Nope, no one contacted us about that. That same weekend, the brand was on one of those 16 & Pregnant shows and also an episode of Hard Knocks. Again, no one asked us.  It happens, oh well.

I mean I know it's costing you guys paying Disney and Universal Press

I mean I know it's costing you guys paying Disney and Universal Press

What do you mean? You basically just take it as free publicity? Normally, arent they supposed to pay you to do that?

What do you mean? You basically just take it as free publicity? Normally, arent they supposed to pay you to do that?

Sorry, I didn't mean to jack this thread, so I won't answer anymore TH-related questions here. But the standard is they reach out and ask to be signed off on (for example, a waiver). Most of the time, I turn it down, because I don't really like our brand associated with most entertainment (especially some entertainers) out there. But for the most part, it just pops up without our permission and we can't do much about it. Not worth the legalities or the time dedicated to a paperchase. OH. WELL. 
happy.gif

Sorry, I didn't mean to jack this thread, so I won't answer anymore TH-related questions here. But the standard is they reach out and ask to be signed off on (for example, a waiver). Most of the time, I turn it down, because I don't really like our brand associated with most entertainment (especially some entertainers) out there. But for the most part, it just pops up without our permission and we can't do much about it. Not worth the legalities or the time dedicated to a paperchase. OH. WELL. 
happy.gif

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

That's what I mean, I know there's guerrilla marketing with HBO and Showtime (Weeds), but they didn't even contact you dude at all?
I thought HBO doesn't play with stuff like that.

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

That's what I mean, I know there's guerrilla marketing with HBO and Showtime (Weeds), but they didn't even contact you dude at all?
I thought HBO doesn't play with stuff like that.

happy.gif

Start a new thread then I mean there's a hundred dudes on here selling t shirts, I'm sure they're interest too....more than BAPE news
laugh.gif

happy.gif

Start a new thread then I mean there's a hundred dudes on here selling t shirts, I'm sure they're interest too....more than BAPE news
laugh.gif

Good idea, about to head out for the night, but will think about doing it tomorrow if I have time.  You raised some good points though, thanks for the chance to discuss.

Good idea, about to head out for the night, but will think about doing it tomorrow if I have time.  You raised some good points though, thanks for the chance to discuss.

That was a great article by Marx on Neojapanisme. I've had a similar experience with Bape, first learning about it in the late '90s and traveling to Japan to research the brand and write magazine stories about it for both U.S. and Japanese print magazines in 2001.  However, I have to disagree with Marx's commentary on Bape's alleged failures and mistakes. For one, just because Nigo seemingly undersold doesn't mean he didn't accomplish something monumental. This brand changed the landscape of global streetwear to an extent only rivaled by Supreme and Stussy.  Not to mention that - I don't care what anyone says - this brand is worth far more than 2.8 Million USD.  Smalltime garage graphic t-shirt brands are valued at such.  Even with all reported debts considered, the value tallys up to around $50 Million. Nope, there's still something missing here. You also have to remember that it's practically policy that every Bape store has a minimum of a million-dollar buildout.  Clearly, the math doesn't add up, here but that's nobody's business really. (Also consider the relationship between the Harajuku streetwear family and bigger money coming from undisclosed organizations.. you guys really didn't think these mega brands operated off t-shirts alone, did you?  That's all I'll say.)
Point being that although sold, A Bathing Ape is a remarkably successful brand and concept. I think how this underground entity wrangled in the mainstream was beyond genius. That goes for the repeated success in America through popular rap, and China through the Chinese idolizing Japanese culture.  Very smart, very calculated, and very very inspiring.

Great insight here...really necessary to understand there's more to these things than just taking them at face value.

Hong Kong, and China overall are booming, and I.T. seems to have things on lock. Bobby, you had great foresight linking up with them a few years ago, and I really see your future moves with them paying off big time.

It's probably time that most of us stop ignoring the trends going on in China, instead of writing them off as a country of bootlegging sweatshops. While they still have their issues, who doesn't?

The end of an era? Sure. But I'm not willing to write off A Bathing Ape as a brand.

wwd-nigo-opens-up-about-bape-0.jpg

In an article from WWD, NOWHERE CO., LTD. and A Bathing Ape founder NIGO goes under the microscope for the first time since the sale of his company to Hong Kong’s I.T. Some of the topics include NIGO’s self admission regarding his inability to manage the business side of NOWHERE CO., LTD. as well as where he sees the future of A Bathing Ape and its associated parties.

Photography: Hypebeast
TOKYO — Nigo, the fashion and music impresario who founded Japanese street label A Bathing Ape, openly admits he’s never really had a head for business. That partially explains why Hong Kong-based retailer I.T Ltd. managed to snap up 90 percent of his company Nowhere Co. for just 230 million Japanese yen, or $2.8 million at average exchange rates. The company, which owns the brand known as Bape, has posted losses for the past two fiscal years and has racked up its share of debt.

Although Nigo downplayed the severity of Nowhere’s financial situation — even to the extent that he denied the company is actually losing money — he acknowledged that dealing with the administrative side of running a business has never been his strong suit.

“The company itself wasn’t in a very dire situation, but in the end I spent so much time looking after the management side that I wasn’t really able to do design,

wwd-nigo-opens-up-about-bape-0.jpg

In an article from WWD, NOWHERE CO., LTD. and A Bathing Ape founder NIGO goes under the microscope for the first time since the sale of his company to Hong Kong’s I.T. Some of the topics include NIGO’s self admission regarding his inability to manage the business side of NOWHERE CO., LTD. as well as where he sees the future of A Bathing Ape and its associated parties.

Photography: Hypebeast
TOKYO — Nigo, the fashion and music impresario who founded Japanese street label A Bathing Ape, openly admits he’s never really had a head for business. That partially explains why Hong Kong-based retailer I.T Ltd. managed to snap up 90 percent of his company Nowhere Co. for just 230 million Japanese yen, or $2.8 million at average exchange rates. The company, which owns the brand known as Bape, has posted losses for the past two fiscal years and has racked up its share of debt.

Although Nigo downplayed the severity of Nowhere’s financial situation — even to the extent that he denied the company is actually losing money — he acknowledged that dealing with the administrative side of running a business has never been his strong suit.

“The company itself wasn’t in a very dire situation, but in the end I spent so much time looking after the management side that I wasn’t really able to do design,

should've sold out when he had the chance... p.s. lrg is worth a ton more than this -- for now

should've sold out when he had the chance... p.s. lrg is worth a ton more than this -- for now

Back
Top Bottom