If Ben Roethlisberger wins his 3rd SB, where's his place amongst the all-time greats?

Originally Posted by dmxfury

Fun to have this debate while Pitt fans watch from the sidelines
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

If he does win, that's 3 rings at 28 years old, that's remarkable.

Although he is a very good QB, he still isn't top 5 in the NFL IMO, but he is a winner, it's that simple.

With the 3rd ring he solidifies Canton I think that's for sure, but I still put him behind Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers and probably Vick (Strictly based off last season)

But he is a flat out winner, especially of big games

If he does win, that's 3 rings at 28 years old, that's remarkable.

Although he is a very good QB, he still isn't top 5 in the NFL IMO, but he is a winner, it's that simple.

With the 3rd ring he solidifies Canton I think that's for sure, but I still put him behind Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers and probably Vick (Strictly based off last season)

But he is a flat out winner, especially of big games

Originally Posted by CP1708

I'm wondering, why do people think of Joe Montana as one of the greats of all time?  He didn't do major work in the terms of passing stats........

nerd.gif

Cant believe I missed this......you arent serious right CP?  Please tell me you arent serious.

I'm wondering, why do people think of Joe Montana as one of the greats of all time?  He didn't do major work in the terms of passing stats........

nerd.gif

Cant believe I missed this......you arent serious right CP?  Please tell me you arent serious.

Originally Posted by dland24

nerd.gif

No I was dead serious.  Joe's regular season numbers are nothing special, so why is he considered a top tier QB?  Could it be, maybe, possibly, I dunno, his postseason success that people factor into his ranking?  I'm betting it is.  So why discredit Ben and his postseason success? 
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by dland24

nerd.gif

No I was dead serious.  Joe's regular season numbers are nothing special, so why is he considered a top tier QB?  Could it be, maybe, possibly, I dunno, his postseason success that people factor into his ranking?  I'm betting it is.  So why discredit Ben and his postseason success? 
nerd.gif

I'm not sure if it has been said already, but I think it has everything to do with the fact that the Steelers D is just as responsible for his success as he is. With Brady and Manning they are the primary reason for their teams success. But with Ben the defense plays a large role in the teams success, because without it I'm not sure he would beat teams like the Ravens as much as he has.

I'm not sure if it has been said already, but I think it has everything to do with the fact that the Steelers D is just as responsible for his success as he is. With Brady and Manning they are the primary reason for their teams success. But with Ben the defense plays a large role in the teams success, because without it I'm not sure he would beat teams like the Ravens as much as he has.

Wow so many different opinions in here, Ill take a stab at it...First off, There is no set number as to how many QB's can be on an "all time greats" list. Did someone say umm okaay the all time lists is the best 10 at a position, best 20 etc. NO. So while Ben may not be very high yet, which is fine, there is no reason to think he can't move up. Has anyone in here went back and looked up Joe Montana or John Elways stats. Elways career high in passing yards is 4,030 and Montana's is 3,944. Montana only had ONE season over 30 TD's. Yet why are the remembered as two of the top QB's ever...the rings. point blank. Before Elway won his rings we all know what people were saying about him. And it's not neither of these guys didn't have help either. Terrell Davis, Shannon Sharpe, Ronnie Lott, JERRY RICE, just to name some guys that these guys played with. Come on, people honestly just knock Ben cause of his off the field issues, and sometimes they over look the on field productivity. It's been Proven he can put up numbers, he has a 4000 yard season under his belt, he has a 30+ TD season, he has the high completetion percentage. So the eff if he plays with a good Defense, what's he gonna do, be upset. The Defense did not drive down the field and score that TD pass to Tone against arizona. That D didnt drive down the field and hit wallace for a game winner against GB last season. As was said before, football is the ultimate team championship sport so everyone needs to do there part. Youre going to knock Big Ben for doing his??? Eff outta here. Is it his fault the steelers like to run the ball??? eff outta here. The guy makes plays...He plays his part, which is what every QB in the league does or is supposed to do. He leads them when they need to be lead, he makes plays when they need to be made, point blank. Listen here's my lists for now and as far as the whole all time thing goes, like it or not but this thing is about the jewelry and consistency. So if Big Ben continues his consistency of 4th quarter comebacks, 3000+ yard seasons, 20+ Tds, PLAYOFF WINS, Division titles, 60%+ completetion %, 90+ QB rating, and oh yeaa umm, super bowl trips and wins....then unfortunately for everyone that likes to deny the obvious, Ben will go down as one of the best to have ever played. Notice I didnt say better than X or Y, I said ONE OF THE BEST TO HAVE EVER PLAYED.. thank you for your time

TOP QB's TODAY

1A Manning
1B Brady

3 Brees

4A Rodgers
4B Roethlisberger

Rivers
Manning
Ryan
Flacco
eh cant think of any other names, gotta bounce lol

Wow so many different opinions in here, Ill take a stab at it...First off, There is no set number as to how many QB's can be on an "all time greats" list. Did someone say umm okaay the all time lists is the best 10 at a position, best 20 etc. NO. So while Ben may not be very high yet, which is fine, there is no reason to think he can't move up. Has anyone in here went back and looked up Joe Montana or John Elways stats. Elways career high in passing yards is 4,030 and Montana's is 3,944. Montana only had ONE season over 30 TD's. Yet why are the remembered as two of the top QB's ever...the rings. point blank. Before Elway won his rings we all know what people were saying about him. And it's not neither of these guys didn't have help either. Terrell Davis, Shannon Sharpe, Ronnie Lott, JERRY RICE, just to name some guys that these guys played with. Come on, people honestly just knock Ben cause of his off the field issues, and sometimes they over look the on field productivity. It's been Proven he can put up numbers, he has a 4000 yard season under his belt, he has a 30+ TD season, he has the high completetion percentage. So the eff if he plays with a good Defense, what's he gonna do, be upset. The Defense did not drive down the field and score that TD pass to Tone against arizona. That D didnt drive down the field and hit wallace for a game winner against GB last season. As was said before, football is the ultimate team championship sport so everyone needs to do there part. Youre going to knock Big Ben for doing his??? Eff outta here. Is it his fault the steelers like to run the ball??? eff outta here. The guy makes plays...He plays his part, which is what every QB in the league does or is supposed to do. He leads them when they need to be lead, he makes plays when they need to be made, point blank. Listen here's my lists for now and as far as the whole all time thing goes, like it or not but this thing is about the jewelry and consistency. So if Big Ben continues his consistency of 4th quarter comebacks, 3000+ yard seasons, 20+ Tds, PLAYOFF WINS, Division titles, 60%+ completetion %, 90+ QB rating, and oh yeaa umm, super bowl trips and wins....then unfortunately for everyone that likes to deny the obvious, Ben will go down as one of the best to have ever played. Notice I didnt say better than X or Y, I said ONE OF THE BEST TO HAVE EVER PLAYED.. thank you for your time

TOP QB's TODAY

1A Manning
1B Brady

3 Brees

4A Rodgers
4B Roethlisberger

Rivers
Manning
Ryan
Flacco
eh cant think of any other names, gotta bounce lol

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

^ I think Rodgers could be the best passer in the NFL. But hes not (yet) a better QB than Ben IMO.

Na trust me Im the biggest Ben supporter (peep the avy lol) but that's why I put 4a and 4b...Ben Does have an advantage more experience, the rings, etc...

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

^ I think Rodgers could be the best passer in the NFL. But hes not (yet) a better QB than Ben IMO.

Na trust me Im the biggest Ben supporter (peep the avy lol) but that's why I put 4a and 4b...Ben Does have an advantage more experience, the rings, etc...

dland24 wrote:

CP1708 wrote:

nerd.gif

nerd.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Dland, you set yourself up perfectly for that. I agree with CP, postseason is where you define your legacy. Ben has gotten it done AND he has time to keep doing it.

Not to mention the clutch come back from behind drive in his last Superbowl win. A 3rd SB definitely puts him in the Top 20, if not 15.

Didn't see this:
probably Vick (Strictly based off last season)

No! And I like Vick 100x more than Roethlisberger. You said it yourself, he is a winner.

Marino was a better QB than Big Ben, but he's the only QB without a SB win I could put ahead of Ben. Vick's not on Marino's level.

dland24 wrote:

CP1708 wrote:

nerd.gif

nerd.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Dland, you set yourself up perfectly for that. I agree with CP, postseason is where you define your legacy. Ben has gotten it done AND he has time to keep doing it.

Not to mention the clutch come back from behind drive in his last Superbowl win. A 3rd SB definitely puts him in the Top 20, if not 15.

Didn't see this:
probably Vick (Strictly based off last season)

No! And I like Vick 100x more than Roethlisberger. You said it yourself, he is a winner.

Marino was a better QB than Big Ben, but he's the only QB without a SB win I could put ahead of Ben. Vick's not on Marino's level.

Originally Posted by AG 47

dland24 wrote:

CP1708 wrote:

nerd.gif

nerd.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Dland, you set yourself up perfectly for that.
wink.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

dland24 wrote:

CP1708 wrote:

nerd.gif

nerd.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
wink.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

He definitely goes under the radar in top QB discussions, when it comes to the ability to win big games, he is one of the best in the league, however his stats aren't all that flashy.

He definitely goes under the radar in top QB discussions, when it comes to the ability to win big games, he is one of the best in the league, however his stats aren't all that flashy.

dland24 wrote:

CP1708 wrote:

nerd.gif

nerd.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
wink.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I didnt set myself up for anything.  Ben winning and Joe winning are so completely different, its absurd that you are comparing the two.  Joe Montana has THREE Superbowl MVPs.  He has been named to EIGHT Pro Bowls.  He was named an NFL All Pro SIX times.  He was the MVP of the entire league TWICE.

Now lets compare that to Ben.  Joe won four rings, and was the Superbowl MVP in three of those games.  That means he was the reason they won.  Ben has won two rings and was the MVP of none of those games.  That means he wasnt the reason they won.  Then theres 2 MVPS to zero, theres 8 Probowls to one, six all pros teams to zero....I really dont understand why this conversation is being had. 

You can say that Joe's legacy was built on the playoffs, but the fact of the matter is, he still has a individual resume that DWARFS Bens resume.  You can take one season of Joe's individual achievements and compare that to Bens entire career, and Joe still wins.

dland24 wrote:

CP1708 wrote:

nerd.gif

nerd.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
wink.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I didnt set myself up for anything.  Ben winning and Joe winning are so completely different, its absurd that you are comparing the two.  Joe Montana has THREE Superbowl MVPs.  He has been named to EIGHT Pro Bowls.  He was named an NFL All Pro SIX times.  He was the MVP of the entire league TWICE.

Now lets compare that to Ben.  Joe won four rings, and was the Superbowl MVP in three of those games.  That means he was the reason they won.  Ben has won two rings and was the MVP of none of those games.  That means he wasnt the reason they won.  Then theres 2 MVPS to zero, theres 8 Probowls to one, six all pros teams to zero....I really dont understand why this conversation is being had. 

You can say that Joe's legacy was built on the playoffs, but the fact of the matter is, he still has a individual resume that DWARFS Bens resume.  You can take one season of Joe's individual achievements and compare that to Bens entire career, and Joe still wins.

Back
Top Bottom