If You Are Looking for/Interested In Working With The Federal Government...Come In. Positions Availa

The pay is not what it should be IMO (on this particular contract), which is why i recommend for people starting out that don't have a clearance. I've seen The "entry" level field services position pay anywhere from 42k to 52k, although on the flip side there are positions in certain locations that require top secret with poly / sci that pay 85k+

While other sites just require certs with secret clearance and some experience to back it up and pay 70k+ out the gate.

@xcellz hope it works out for you bro, its just a waiting game at this point. It's crazy how some people have these long interviews, but other people can get a secret clearance without any subject interview at all.

had an interview for my secret clearance last week

lady arrived at 1400 didnt leave till like 1800 pretty in depth interview

Damn that's a long interview. I met with my investigator/interviewer and it was maybe 45 minutes, and even with that she was perplexed that because the only thing that the DoN had questions about were outside the scope of periodicity. She was pretty cool about everything and was like if you discussed all of this gen years ago and they gave you a secret clearance then it it's really not an issue now ten years later", now I just have to wait for the adjudication which has me on edge

Booz Allen. Good looks, I'll check it out. Yea 70k and move to DC wont work for me, I make that now. Granite Oklahoma but with our C.O.L that probably translates to close to 6 figures up north for comparable lifestyle. Yea I have a secret. There was talk about getting us all top secrets since we work on some SIPR but that all just disipated

Isn't your title sys admin and you already have a clearance? you are def in 6 figure territory, any normal job search of the area would pull up those results.

Exactly. I got a few sniffs from indeed or whatever but nothing came of it. One was a company out in Chantily, another was in Vienna, I forget the other cities but there's so much Gov contracting companies out there. Oddly enough Huntsville, AL is another hub, but I did some glassdoor research and yea I replied back I wanted 105 and never heard back from them.

This clearance backlog is ridiculous. I have people I work with who have been waiting close to 2 yrs. Our local NEC wont give IT personel admin rights without it, they can get regular computer access with just the NACL or whatever the simple initial investigation is called but even that is backed up.

dontpass if you're serious hit me up. Even the lowest paying it contracts/jobs, the one I was on that snap came and raped us on is starting around 45. You can get a 3bed 2bath house with 2 car garage in a safe neighborhood here for $900 so thats the c.o.l difference. Buying you can get new construction and have your mortgage come out around that. It's not as bad as you'd imagine lol. Military bases and their cities are like their own little entities separate from the state they inhabit anyways. And if you need somthing bigger like you need to catch 4:44 Tour, Dallas is an easy ~3hr drive so do that on the weekend plus OKC is about an hour 15.

Just got passed over for some announcements on USAJOBS including the exact job I already hold, just the GS12 2210 or whatever equivalent instead of ctr. They need to do something different than that you were very well qualified but not among the most highly qualified candidates for this position and as such will not be reffered or considered for this position. kill yourself letter. I know veteran preference points did me in

Last edited:
DC is wild. I wonder how people with lower paying jobs like social work or customer service survive. I think I may actually build up my resume and move back down to Hampton Roads in the future. Same company doing the $900k townhomes are doing them down there for $200K

Folks interested in IT in the DMV that are looking to break into fed contracting should look into NMCI | NGEN | COSC or whatever the hell its called now for the NAVY. Its not glamorous but its a great stepping stone and can get you a clearance and a foot in the door to other contracting opportunities. You just need to look attractive to the recruiters.

The requirements are not that bad and they are in need of bodies as the region is understaffed at many sites such as Navy Yard. They are mainly looking for people with the following:

- at least high school education (2 years or more of college preferred)
- a bit of an IT background
- comptia a+ (security+ is preferred) (i believe windows 10 training / cert from Microsoft is a new requirement that will soon be needed as well)
- and eligible for secret clearance

companies on this contract include:

SOC LLC (Dayzim/YOH)
McKean Defense
Strategic Data Systems
Apex
Insight Global
You sure man? I get calls all day from the pentagon/Mark center/Andrews/ Belvoir and they all want you to already have a secret. I have my net+ and sec+ and don't really care about what they're paying as long as I can get a secret. Cause it'll be easy to maneuver with that.

Thinking about taking this DHA gig since they're will to get you a Public Trust. If you can get me more info on the navy thing I'd appreciate it.

703 hwy 703 hwy Yes, if you meet the criteria they are willing to start clearance process. The main problem I am seeing though is that It's a crap shoot as to finding any listings for these gigs, but believe me they need people and these companies are reaching out to people on job boards such as dice. I was out of school for a year when I got a call from one of these companies out of the blue after creating a profile on a job board, before I knew it I was starting the clearance process (fingerprints, drug test, equip, etc...etc..) and started working with interim status secret.

I know for a fact sites such as navy yard & pax river are crazy understaffed and need people. Norfolk was looking for people in early may, not sure how far that is from you.

Last edited:
703 hwy 703 hwy Yes, if you meet the criteria they are willing to start clearance process. The main problem I am seeing though is that It's a crap shoot as to finding any listings for these gigs, but believe me they need people and these companies are reaching out to people on job boards such as dice. I was out of school for a year when I got a call from one of these companies out of the blue after creating a profile on a job board, before I knew it I was starting the clearance process (fingerprints, drug test, equip, etc...etc..) and started working with interim status secret.

I know for a fact sites such as navy yard & pax river are crazy understaffed and need people. Norfolk was looking for people in early may, not sure how far that is from you.

What job boards can I look for these positions on?

larryeastwood larryeastwood your best bet is to find the page to submit your resume for the companies i listed earlier. As I stated before, it seems to be hard to come across the actual job listings for these jobs.

But just as an example:

http://itcareers.apexsystems.com/search?keywords=ngen&facetcountry=US&location=

One thing I learned is don't be put off by the years of experience that they list on for the positions as a lot of times they are flexible on that.

main thing to note is the bottom of the listings usually state

"Candidates must be eligible to obtain and maintain a security clearance to work for the DoD."

meaning they are willing to start clearance process for applicants that are a good fit.

Also look on Linkedin at the company sites for example SOC LLC lists a position for Norfolk on their linked in page and while it says that applicants must have 4-9 years of experience + secret clearance already I am pretty sure they will over look that if you have a little bit of IT background along with the certs that they are asking for in the listing.

Last edited:

A lot of people have a hard time passing federal drug tests. Just look at this article that will be on the front page of the NYT tomorrow.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/24/...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Then there's the OPM backlog. Not difficult to see why there are so many openings. People either don't qualify or they don't want to wait a year for their clearance to adjudicate.

Took 2 years for my TS to adjucate it was ridiculous . Now I'm overseas on a contract that only requires a secret and my coworkers are telling me to let the TS expire I be laughing these cats out. I'll be back before my 5 years are up.

The pay is not what it should be IMO (on this particular contract), which is why i recommend for people starting out that don't have a clearance. I've seen The "entry" level field services position pay anywhere from 42k to 52k, although on the flip side there are positions in certain locations that require top secret with poly / sci that pay 85k+

While other sites just require certs with secret clearance and some experience to back it up and pay 70k+ out the gate.

If you taking under 6 figures in the DMV with a TS/SCI w/ poly for a non entry level position your doing it wrong.

DC is wild. I wonder how people with lower paying jobs like social work or customer service survive. I think I may actually build up my resume and move back down to Hampton Roads in the future. Same company doing the $900k townhomes are doing them down there for $200K

I love the 75 but it's economy is terrible where do you plan on working? I'm only aware of Northrop Grumman in Newport News,the shipyard, and langley . They have no locality pay for DoD positions too, so keep that in mind they don't fall under the DMV locality.

Last edited:
Yeah the economy sucks, but they have big companies like adp now, plus schools and other low key mid level companies. I just feel more relaxed when I'm there. It's all for naught though as I'm likely staying in dmv or another tech heavy area unless I have a remote position or my own business. Just when I dipped dipped, dealing with that constant slog for success in this area isn't making me as Happy as I thought it would. Starting on my Amazon fba so hopefully that mixes things up.

I'm interested in government contracting. I have a B.A. In Political Science and an A+ certs. I'm Located in Atlanta GA. I've mostly worked in the public sector since graduating.

Yeah the economy sucks, but they have big companies like adp now, plus schools and other low key mid level companies. I just feel more relaxed when I'm there. It's all for naught though as I'm likely staying in dmv or another tech heavy area unless I have a remote position or my own business. Just when I dipped dipped, dealing with that constant slog for success in this area isn't making me as Happy as I thought it would. Starting on my Amazon fba so hopefully that mixes things up.

Yeah I understand there more laid back low CoL . Hopefully FBA works out good for you goodluck man.

Back
Top Bottom