If you could alter one sports moment vol. if only..

If you could alter one sports moment to go the other way, what would it be, AND what would be the consequences?

Mine would be Zidane's header in the WC2006 final match. This happened will into extra time in a 1-1 game that went into penalties. Zidane absolutelycrushed the ball from close range, only to see it saved by a truly astounding effort from Buffon. If he scored here, which he should have, France win the cuplegitimately, and we don't see another trophy decided over spot kicks.

Perhaps more importantly, Zidane never headbutts Materazzi, perhaps tarnishing the legacy of arguably the greatest soccer player ever (don't argue with meon this, we can do it elsewhere). This save happened minutes before the headbutt, and in the video you can see how frustrated Zidane was when Buffon saved his"certain-goal" header. Had he scored, no way in heck he lets Materazzi get to him like that. Most important of all, had he scored the WC winning goalinstead of the headbutt, his legacy as one of the 1 or 2 best soccer players of all time would have absolutely been cemented. FOUR goals in WC Final matches,two WC trophies when he absolutely carried his team. Can't argue with that.

Cliffs:

-Buffon makes a miraculous save on a header that Zidane absolutely smashed from close range.
-Instead of winning in extra time, France goes on to lose in spot-kicks, the worst way to lose in sports.
-Save happens minutes before the famous Materazzi headbutt, which would have never happened had Zidane scored.
-With the goal, Zidane would have absolutely claimed his place as one of, if not THE, greatest soccer player of all time.

angers me every time i think about this

2003 nba all star game

i wish JO was never in the building, complete idiot.

.. if that shot over marion was the last shot of the game..
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by GregOdensBedpan

angers me every time i think about this

2003 nba all star game

i wish JO was never in the building, complete idiot.

.. if that shot over marion was the last shot of the game..
pimp.gif

You really call yourself a sports fan? One sports moment and its at an all ASG? get outta here with that.

Mine would have to be, as a Cubs fan, the eighth inning of Game 6 of 2003 NLCS.

We would have reached the WS for the first time since 1945.
A Cubs v. Yanks series would have been beyond epic.
Cubs team might have taken a different direction in terms of player signings.
Team has never been the same since then. Optimism was in the air like I've never felt.
Again, first WS since 1945. UGHHH

We dominated that game.
I just wanted the ref to make the damn call.
We would of more than likely played brazil in the finals.

We dominated that game.

Sorry, but gonna have to disagree here, for a few reasons. That goal would have TIED the game, not won it. Even had they tied it up, their finishing that gamewas so ATROCIOUS that it's unlikely they would have beaten a team of Germany's caliber. IMO there is no reason to think they would have won that gameeven if they tied it up. Germany is legendary in PKs, and they had the best goalie in the world at that time.

Also, even if they had won, what makes you think they would have beat a SK team that had just beat ITALY AND SPAIN thanks to the referees fixing the matches?Again, no reason to believe US would have won that game. Germany only beat them cuz Ballack was clearly the best player on that field and made the differenceand scored the goal. The US had no one like that to rise above the competition.

Gilbert sinks those freethrows and blogs about LeBron's attempt to throw him off his game.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

We dominated that game.

Sorry, but gonna have to disagree here, for a few reasons. That goal would have TIED the game, not won it. Even had they tied it up, their finishing that game was so ATROCIOUS that it's unlikely they would have beaten a team of Germany's caliber. IMO there is no reason to think they would have won that game even if they tied it up. Germany is legendary in PKs, and they had the best goalie in the world at that time.

Also, even if they had won, what makes you think they would have beat a SK team that had just beat ITALY AND SPAIN thanks to the referees fixing the matches? Again, no reason to believe US would have won that game. Germany only beat them cuz Ballack was clearly the best player on that field and made the difference and scored the goal. The US had no one like that to rise above the competition.

the US was dominating and almost all the shots the US were taking at the end were barely missing.
the way fridel was playing that tournament we would have won.

Chris Webber's knee injury. Seeing what he could do with a semi-healthy knee makes me think that he would have aged well as basketball players had thatknee not given out. I think it would have made the Kings contender for at least another 3 years, and maybe we'd be able to pick up a few nice pieces toreplace our then-aging roster........

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Gary Anderson makes that damn field goal.
smh.gif
We murder the Broncos.

frown.gif
i wanted the vikings to win so bad. they were the best football teamthat year and should have won the SB

-The Broncos Drive on the Browns in the AFC Championship
-The Ernest Biner fumble at the 1 against the Broncos AFC Championship
-MJ's Shot over Ehlo
-Jose Mesa giving up the game tie hit in bot of 9th with 2 outs left in game 7 of the World Series, which lead to the Marlins beating the Indians in extrainnings.

-Results=City of Cleveland would of had least 1 championship

2005 Season - 2006 Rose Bowl: 4th & 2

SC converts and they're are Back 2 Back BCS Champions, 3 time National Champions
smh.gif

Mariano throwing the ball into CF during game 7 versus the diamondbacks
frown.gif

Tuck Rule

Nick Anderson missing FTs versus the rockets

The USC 4 & 2 still makes me
mad.gif

denkinger-300x276.jpg
1985 World Series, the Title was stolen and was handed to the Royals. If the call at 1st was correct, the Cardinals are celebrating a World Seriesvictory.

Back
Top Bottom