I'M LOOKING TO BECOME A MIDDLE SCHOOL MATH TEACHER...

jt air jt

Banned
My major is currently Business Administration with a focus on Finance, but I'm going to switch to Civil Engineering this semester and change my minor from Marketing to Education. Are there any teachers here on NT? Please give me advice, I don't know what I'm getting myself into other than inadequate research on Google.
Thanks in advance.

pimp.gif

Don't do it... Reconsider

LOL in all seriousness, I'm studying to be a teacher because I want to make a difference in people's lives and actually making learning fun for students. I hated school growing up.

I wouldn't consider teaching if you're actually doing this as your primary means of income. You will be frustrated by the lack of pay and hard work.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Isn't it hard to get a teaching job in Cali right now?

Not if you're a male, specifically a minority male...

California is in need of male teachers who are black, hispanic, and other ethnic backgrounds.

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

California is in need of male teachers who are black, hispanic, and other ethnic backgrounds.

im curious to why is this?^

i been looking to make a thread about teachers too but never got around too it. any advice for a future english teacher?

Originally Posted by imthekang

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

im curious to why is this?^
It's all about demographics.

In a place like Los Angeles, where the public schools are mainly dominated by African-American and Hispanic children, teachers with similar backgrounds to the students would be much more helpful to their development.

A young black male teacher could relate to his students better than a 67 year old white woman who is only teaching still because of her tenure.

sister teaches at a all girls private school. pay is decent compared to public school. at least ya get the summers off.

I'm currently in my first year as a middle school Special Education/ELA teacher in NYC.
All states have different certifications, if you were in NY I would be able to send you some links to set you in the right direction. 

As far as NY goes, you can be fully certified to teach if you have your bachelors degree in Education, as long as you complete your Masters within 5 years.

I was not an undergrad Education major, so what I had to do was start a Masters program (September 2010) that was 42 credits that would certify me in the area of Special Education (no specific content area). This summer, I completed my third semester, accumulated 24 credits towards my Masters and was certified through my "Internship Certification", and interviewed and got a job teaching Special Ed. ELA. The internship cert. is the first certification you receive in which you can teach, after I receive my Masters, I get a "Professional" cert., then 3 years after that I receive a "Permanent" cert.

I also had to pass 4 certification exams, one general knowledge test, one classroom situations test, one multi-subject, and one Special Ed. test since that was deemed my subject area. 

Again, this is for NY and things probably vary in your state, but this is what you can expect. 

All i will say about teaching is this: after only 6 months of doing this, I love my job, the classroom atmosphere and the kids; however parents, paperwork, and administration having it out for you can make this job real unpleasant real quick.

Good luck, Broseppe.

i was a education major but im indecisive now.

All i can tell you is that i give you props for choosing middle school. Very tough dealing with students at that age group, if you come at them the right way then youll have good relationships with every single one of them. For teaching, its alot of preparation, patience and organization. Also having to deal with parents can be a pain in the %+* sometimes. Even though its a 8-4 job, youd probably have to stay in late till like 6 or 7 to finish up your work.

Thats all i can think of at the moment. Make sure you get alot of "in the field" experience in a classroom and learn from the other teachers with how they do things. I wish you luck my friend.

I'm pursuing my Master's to become a High School Social Studies Teacher... There are so many hoops to jump through, there shouldn't be any reason to wonder why there is a shortage of qualified people who are willing to become teachers...

Originally Posted by GUTTA BOB

might as well work at mcdonalds since you're going to be making the same amount of $$$

not true actually...  teachers who are officially tenured (depending on the state. I live in NY so they get paid more than most other states) are making $50-60K.

Just remember that you can't save everybody. Just remember that. We all go into it believing we will save the world. Just know some of those kids have parents that are so messed up that your 7 hours with them for 9 months won't change that.

You can't save everyone.
You can't save everyone.
You can't save everyone.
You can't save everyone.
You can't save everyone.
You can't save everyone.
You can't save everyone.
You can't save everyone.
You can't save everyone.
You can't save everyone.

Originally Posted by FullMetal

I thought it was really hard to get a job as a teacher?

Yes. Especially in a time of a bad economy which means that states do a lot of budget cutback, and education is always one of the first things to see massive decreases in budget.

From your major choices it sounds like you could get a really good job that expands your skillset

Originally Posted by Essential1

Originally Posted by GUTTA BOB

might as well work at mcdonalds since you're going to be making the same amount of $$$

not true actually...  teachers who are officially tenured (depending on the state. I live in NY so they get paid more than most other states) are making $50-60K.

tenure = 10 years.  research teachers that are on welfare.. gluck with your foodstamp goals in 2012.

Back
Top Bottom