"I'm Qutting Rap" - Indie Artists/Producers, What Are Your Thoughts On This?

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2014...to-quit-rap-due-to-limited-blog-coverage.html

Kadeem Spencer, aka Corduroy The Fox, says he's been doing everything he can to succeed in rap but bloggers won't support him with enough coverage for him to break through and make a name for himself. So he's quitting. Except that if he does get enough blog coverage out of this maneuver he's continuing.

The back story posts:

http://pigeonsandplanes.com/2013/10/1000-words-rapper-named-corduroy/

http://pigeonsandplanes.com/2014/06/im-quitting-rap/

For anyone who is fighting the same fight as an indie/unsigned artist, how do you feel about this? I read it this morning and was interested to hear your feedback.

Last edited:
on one hand, someone can say he just doesnt want it bad enough.

on the other, one must realize that the game is moreso about politics and connections. if your not workin those 2 angles to the fullest you just arent gonna get far.

talent ALONE doesnt mean much in this current climate.

on one hand, someone can say he just doesnt want it bad enough.

on the other, one must realize that the game is moreso about politics and connections. if your not workin those 2 angles to the fullest you just arent gonna get far.

talent ALONE doesnt mean much in this current climate.

Truth.

Still, connections x politics mean less than they used to - I think for me, it's just a question of attitude. How can you expect to be successful at anything if this is how you're feeling?

See: The quote in my sig.

Also, how are we feeling about the actual "talent" of the artist?

He's not even really good. But yeah we all feel that way but to quit means you fully believe it will never happen for you. Plus from reading the article it's clear he's not willing to give it his ALL. I spent RACKS on my music video I'm putting out and for Christmas last year I asked my dad to just get me a bunch of studio time to record my EP. I rode to Brooklyn on a bus a missed a day of classes to do a show. This takes dedication and I still might not even make it. So he just doesn't have that level of passion imo.

roll.gif

publicity attempt is obvious

The sense of entitlement is too high for someone who's music is trash

I'm a firm believer in mastering your craft. In my eyes, if you are genuinely talented and eat, breathe, and sleep your craft while making smart moves you are bound to make it. And that's not exclusive to musicians, that goes for everyone no matter your craft. As far as music, there's way too many avenues for individuals to access music nowadays for an artist to be blaming press politics for their failure. It may not happen a month, a year, or even 5 years from when you wanted it to happen. But if you put your ALL into it and take some legit steps to make it happen, something is bound to pop.

^ Agreed.

And sense of entitlement? Yah, hits the nail right on the head. That's this generation though. See:

“You don't realize, I am so frustrated. I am so frustrated. I've got so much I want to give. I've got ideas on colour palettes. I've got ideas on silhouettes. And I've got a million people telling me why I can't do it. You know, that I'm not a real designer, that I'm not this. I'm not a real rapper, either! I'm not a real musician, either! Like, I don't know how to play the piano. I'm an artist. I went to art college and was looked at like I'm soft because I wore like Italian clothes, you know what I'm saying, when I'm rapping in front of Cam'ron. And my pants is tight.”

No 'Ye hate at all, but when this is what you've been raised on and think is right, it dilutes your sense of reality in this game.

If he's going to stop creating just because he isn't getting attention, then he wasn't a genuine artist in the first place.

I'll be glad to know that he's done.

I don't care. Just another loser trying to get attention to get bug but instead of working hard or selling out he's blaming bloggers :lol:

Srs. I'm quitting rap too. I'm a writer and I began rapping and won some contests in NYC. Rap wise it is totally different. Makes you think that it's not about the music it's truly about being black.

I write raps every now and then but I'm not expecting too much. It's not fair.

Who cares.

Unsigned Artist that don't have a grip on life care. That don't have connections. That had a hard life. That were really raised in the hood and etc... weren't born rich and used God as propaganda. We Care.

I can't respect any "artist" who uses the prospect of fame as their sole motivator.

Last edited:
Unsigned Artist that don't have a grip on life care. That don't have connections. That had a hard life. That were really raised in the hood and etc... weren't born rich and used God as propaganda. We Care.
Blame your mom for having you when she could not properly financially support you.

How do you know I'm not poor like you and had a hard life and grew up in da hood. you don''t know me.

Sell you butt or sell your soul (rapping about sex/destructive content).. Those are your only two options mr kadeem

Blame your mom for having you when she could not properly financially support you.

How do you know I'm not poor like you and had a hard life and grew up in da hood. you don''t know me.

Now wanting to be a rapper is all financial

Now wanting to be a rapper is all financial
That's life, not just rap. It's all about the money.

Money can shield you from most of the nonsense (people/things)

Thank God I wasn't born to some hood rat. Thank God I don't HAVE TO do anything I don't want to.

Thank God I wasn't born to some hood rat. Thank God I don't HAVE TO do anything I don't want to.
that's not really with everything. if you're a good engineer you're gonna get a good engineering job
it doesn't cost money to get discovered as an athlete
even other genres of music. rap the only **** thats pay to play

Yeah man. Lol as you thank god you weren't birthed by some hood rat. I know my situation. I don't believe I was that lucky.

Back
Top Bottom