In Job Hunt, College Degree Can’t Close Racial Gap (Link/Story)

Any good jobs at banks are almost exclusively for Jews. That may sound wrong but just look at who the higher ups at these banks are and look into whether theyare Jewish or not. I'm not saying they don't hire non-Jews every now and then but you better have some Jew friends that already work there to vouch foryou to increase your odds especially if your black.

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

you want me to go on a whiney rant about how im white and cant get the ideal job i want with my degree? ... pull your skirt down, some people just cant interview and arent worth the hastle ...

I'm white and honestly have no idea about racism, go out into the world some day.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Moreover, this generation is being elbowed out of entry-level positions by older, more experienced job seekers on the unemployment rolls who willingly trade down just to put food on the table.

Oh word? I thought it was the exact the opposite as the employer figures that person will be ghost as soon as they find a job in their respective field. As time goes on though I suppose there are more and more people becoming unemployed and unable to find work so it probably doesn't even matter anymore.

No it's exactly that

This is why IT is such a bad field to get into right now

Got senior dudes taking 13 dollar an hr tech support jobs and leaving us entry level dudes out to dry
mad.gif

I hate to say it, but sometimes as someone of Asian descent I even refuse to acknowledge my "Ethnicity" when it comes to signing to a lot of thosejob applications.

Talking about insuring "diversity" for the workforce...
smh.gif
. As for the interview comment, I actually do quite well and I'm sure others on here areon the same boat. It's definitely the racial and social (who you know) divide that makes this one of the most scarce and highly competitive time to evenenter the job market as a post graduate.

Originally Posted by JFDOOM

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Moreover, this generation is being elbowed out of entry-level positions by older, more experienced job seekers on the unemployment rolls who willingly trade down just to put food on the table.

Oh word? I thought it was the exact the opposite as the employer figures that person will be ghost as soon as they find a job in their respective field. As time goes on though I suppose there are more and more people becoming unemployed and unable to find work so it probably doesn't even matter anymore.
No it's exactly that

This is why IT is such a bad field to get into right now

Got senior dudes taking 13 dollar an hr tech support jobs and leaving us entry level dudes out to dry
mad.gif

Yeah the IT industry is garbage right now. Seriously... If companies aren't hiring older workers, they're outsourcing to places likeIndia.

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

"Black men with a clean record fare no better than white men just released from prison."

absolutely ridiculous...
and all of these white people want to say that racism is dead just cuz obama got elected

"In fact, whether Mr. Obama's election has been good or bad for their job prospects is hotly debated. Severalinterviewed went so far as to say that they believed there was only so much progress that many in the country couldtake, and that there was now a backlash against blacks."

It's crazy that there's even a limit. It's as if there's a maximum that society has allowed certain ethnic groups to achieve.

It's a damn travesty that there are people out there who, in spite of how much YOUachieve, will always stereotype you with the failings of someone of your ethnic background.

I'm Asian and I try hard not to use my race as a benefit nor disadvantage as to why I canor cannot achieve certain things in life.

It's just another reason to work harder than everybody else regardless of ethnicity,sexual orientation, or religion.

Originally Posted by certified hustler11

"In fact, whether Mr. Obama's election has been good or bad for their job prospects is hotly debated. Several interviewed went so far as to say that they believed there was only so much progress that many in the country could take, and that there was now a backlash against blacks."

It's crazy that there's even a limit. It's as if there's a maximum that society has allowed certain ethnic groups to achieve.

It's a damn travesty that there are people out there who, in spite of how much YOU achieve, will always stereotype you with the failings of someone of your ethnic background.

87286100273610L.gif

Good book about this.

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

you want me to go on a whiney rant about how im white and cant get the ideal job i want with my degree? ... pull your skirt down, some people just cant interview and arent worth the hastle ...
He worked for JP Morgan...
eyes.gif

No, that the branch bank you deposit your money in......
The corporate/investment bank JP Morgan.

I'm pretty sure he can interview.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Regent Park

I always wonder if articles like this make the situation worse (if it can get any worse). Makes me think that if white managment were to read this
it would piss them off and take it personaly.

I believe it may have been Samuel L Jackson who was asked in an interview years ago , "how do you stop racism??" and his reply was
"Stop talking about it" ........................ Might be a step backwords but the more you remind people of it , the more they think about it.

Nah. Media attention to the problem helps. The media was one of the reasons the civil rights movement got so much traction and was successful in the 60s.

I am in no way denying the statistics of the article but I would have liked to hear more of the Booth grad's story. Finance in NYC/NJ/CT is extremelymeritocratic. If you can trade and be profitable they will hire any race/gender/sex etc.

Since it is in the South and there aren't many firms there it may be different.

Back
Top Bottom