In the past 30 years in the NBA, who are the "once-in-a-generation" talents?

Originally Posted by swyftdahoe

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

Originally Posted by DublBagn

take iverson off the list please, dude is a once a generation team wrecker.....if ruining things is a consideration than he should definitely be on the list....

_ please.
No kidding eh. Remember the good times! AI is a bonafide once-in-a-lifetime talent off the mere fact that he started 2 NBA trends (cornrows and arm sleeves). You're the man when your peers wanna be like you!

eyes.gif

Ok thug love
laugh.gif

Magic Johnson
Larry Legend
Air Jordan
Hakeem the Dream
Shaq Diesel
Dennis Rodman
John Stockton
Karl Malone
Penny Hardaway
Jason Kidd
Tim Duncan
Dirk
Steve Nash
Kobe Bean Bryant
King James

I'm sure to be missing a couple more, thats just off the top of my head. 
I don't think we will see players of like those up there again. The things they have done will be hard to beat.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

/\ Duncan is not a once in a generation player. He was a classic 7 foot big man who did everything the right way. It's not a stretch to say we'll see probably see that again one day.

Okay, if you're gonna be so rigid in your damn definition of talent, then might I point out that a generation usually implies something like 30 years (as per dictionary.com; see below). With that said, it might be another damn generation before we see another 7 foot big man as fundamentally sound (offensively + defensively) as Duncan.

[h2]gen·er·a·tion[/h2]

theterm of years, roughly 30 among human beings, accepted as the averageperiod between the birth of parents and the birth of their offspring.

Originally Posted by bigtimejerky

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

Ok Lets look all the big guys I listed
who are the guys he was in the league with
KG
Dirk
Malone
Hakeem
Shaq

What does Tim do that is unique?
He isnt a great shooter like Dirk, isnt the physical specimen that Malone was, isnt the giant , or athlete that Shaq was, and doesnt have the footwork, or athletic ability that Hakeem had. KG has been discussed

Win... has more titles than the whole list combined minus Shaq.

4 Championships (1999,2003,2005,2007)
4 NBA Finals (1999,2003,2005,2007) (undefeated)
3 Finals MVP (1999,2003, 2005)

He was a little bit of everything... most complete big this whole decade. Why he was called the big fundamental. I think people tend to take him for granted because he was such a boring player cause i know i did. But now that i look back, he was consistently the most dominant PF from his rookie year on out.
Jesus Christ. What is it that you don't understand here? For THIS specific discussion...his accomplishments have NOTHING to do with anything. We're speaking SPECIFICALLY on player makeup. How many titles he won does NOT factor into a discussion about once in a generation TALENTS. If Lebron played 35 games and his career came to an end...he would still be a once in a generation talent...because his player makeup is NOT common. When you break down player makeups and skill sets...a 7'0 PF/C with TD's skillset is FAR more common than somebody like Allen Iverson or Lebron. 
Now before you reply and say some @+@$ like "what big man is better than Tim Duncan" because I know you will....again...I'm not saying anyone is. I'm just saying the player makeup and skill set is NOT rare. You can point to someone like Brook Lopez and say he has every single ability that Tim Duncan has. Does that mean he's better than Duncan? Of course not...but that goes to say that the "type" of player he is will come around more often than someone like KG. 
Now point me out another player in the NBA who you can say..."he's a 7'0 big man that is capable of doing everything KG does".

Point me out a 5'11 prospect on any level and say "he can EVERYTHING Allen Iverson could". 

Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Hakeem Olajuwon, Shaquille O' Neal, Michael Jordan, Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin Durant, and Lebron James are all once in a generation talents because they brought something to the game that no other players have. Magic and Lebron are 6'9 and 6'8 players with the court vision of a point guard, a talent that few, if any others, have. Jordan and Kareem were dominant scorers that could not be stopped and also had all around games that no other players can rival. Shaq was the most physically dominating center to play the game, and had not only the physical skills but also the fundamental skills to average 25+ points a game for a long stretch of his career. Larry Bird was similar to Lebron and Magic in that he could do it all and he also had the uncanny ability to come up big in important games. Hakeem was arguably the most versatile center and could do everything on both offense and defense. Dirk Nowitzki is the best shooting 7 footer and there have been very few players with his skillset at that size. Kevin Durant is similar to Dirk with his size and ability to shoot, but what separates him from Dirk is that he can actually play as a 6'10 guard, something that we have never seen in the NBA. Tracy Mcgrady could be considered a once in a generation talent because of his scoring ability at his size, but he wasn't much more than a scorer, similar to Kobe. How can he be a once in a generation talent when Iverson, Kobe, and Carmelo were capable of scoring just as much points as he was, and Lebron is much more skilled in other aspects of the game than Mcgrady. I would not consider a guy like Allen Iverson a once in a generation talent because there have been many little guards that have excelled and there have been many prolific scorers, such as Isiah Thomas.

Why are people getting so defensive over Kobe? Dude's game is a complete replica of MJ
laugh.gif

Exactly.  You can tell who the newbies to basketball are.  The ones that know basketball know that Kobe is nothing more than a cheap imitation of Jordan.  A very good imitation but a cheap imitation nonetheless.

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

Originally Posted by Im Not You

/\ Duncan is not a once in a generation player. He was a classic 7 foot big man who did everything the right way. It's not a stretch to say we'll see probably see that again one day.

It would be a stretch to say we'll ever see another 6 foot shooting guard score at will or another 6'8 freak of nature who does things athletically that are matched by few in the sport.
Thats exactly why Duncan aint on the list and KG is word to Allen. 

Iverson is the one who I dont really want to say belong's on my list.
Cause on one hand I dont think we will see a guy 6ft, with a 40 inch vert 6'5 wingspan and tough as nails.
But on the other hand being 6ft 165 and being 6'2 185 aint that much different imo, and there are guys like that without the role Iverson had rotting on benches. Do I think a guy who resembles Iverson exist's and was there in the 90's yea in certain ways. Will that guy get a role like Iverson on a modern team? No and thats cause you have to have a "PG" that can defend 2's on a consistant basis and have an elite shotblocker to protect that little 6'ft guard.  

That's a HUGE difference IMO.  Tell me how many guys that are in that 5'11" - 6'2" range that are dominant scorers?  This is what makes Iverson so remarkable.  He did things (in being so small) that people didn't think were possible.  If he retired today, he's leaving the NBA with a scoring average around 27ppg.  Yeah, there are guys like Willie Green, Eddie House, etc who can chuck the ball at a high volume, but they do not...and will never, ever duplicate the impact Iverson had when he was in his prime. 

Just think about all the AI clones over the years in the college game.  You had Keydren Clark, Marcus Hatten, Luis Flores, SirValiant Brown, etc...all of these guys tried their darndest to emulate Iverson, but ultimately came up short (no pun).  Most of not all of the guys I mentioned never even sniffed playing a game on a NBA hardwood.  I highly doubt we'll see another 6'0" (on a good day) scoring guard taken #1 overall and have the impact he did on the NBA game.  He's one-of-a-kind in every sense of the definition. 

For those of you who think Kobe is a once-in-a-generation type of player, why? What exactly separates him from Jordan? It's no disrespect to Kobe or anyone else's opinion....but like I said before...everything I've seen w. Kobe, I feel as though Jordan has done in years past.  FWIW, I DO think that Kobe is one of the greatest players in NBA history, but you can be one of the greats WITHOUT being a once-in-a-generation talent. 

Besides LeBron, honestly everyone had someone come before them. Even Durant = George Gervin. I mean it's almost impossible to find someone without ANYONE who came before them who had a similar game. 
I could see someone arguing Kevin Garnett and maybe Hakeem. It's all subjective on how deep you want to go with the comparison. 

Cheap imitation of Jordan? That's nonsense. " you can tell. Who the newbies of basketball are" Kobe is a beast. 81 don't come to often or his scoring streaks.

Tim duncan is talented. You have to have talent to win.

Originally Posted by BeallsFinest

Besides LeBron, honestly everyone had someone come before them. Even Durant = George Gervin. I mean it's almost impossible to find someone without ANYONE who came before them who had a similar game. 
I could see someone arguing Kevin Garnett and maybe Hakeem. It's all subjective on how deep you want to go with the comparison. 
Gervin wasn't 6'10" though....

Cheap imitation of Jordan? That's nonsense. " you can tell. Who the newbies of basketball are" Kobe is a beast. 81 don't come to often or his scoring streaks.

Yes a chep imitation.  Kobe fans always make me laugh, the first thing they always say in an argument trying to defend their boy is how he scored 81 points in a game or how he has 4 championships.  With that in mind let's examine both of those points a little further.  First off, scoring 81 points in a game is very impressive to say the least.  We might not ever see that type of offensive performance in our generation, however we will see that same effort of lackluster defense that the Toronto Raptors displayed that night against Kobe, matter of fact we say that same lack of emphasis on defense just about every night in the NBA these days.  Also, in regards to the 4 rings he has, let's not forget that he Kobe played the role of Robin for 3 of them, only for 1 of them was he Batman.  

For those of you who think Kobe is a once-in-a-generation type of player, why? What exactly separates him from Jordan? It's no disrespect to Kobe or anyone else's opinion....but like I said before...everything I've seen w. Kobe, I feel as though Jordan has done in years past.  FWIW, I DO think that Kobe is one of the greatest players in NBA history, but you can be one of the greats WITHOUT being a once-in-a-generation talent. 
  Still looking for someone to answer this question, any takers.......
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

That's a HUGE difference IMO.  Tell me how many guys that are in that 5'11" - 6'2" range that are dominant scorers?  This is what makes Iverson so remarkable.  He did things (in being so small) that people didn't think were possible.  If he retired today, he's leaving the NBA with a scoring average around 27ppg.  Yeah, there are guys like Willie Green, Eddie House, etc who can chuck the ball at a high volume, but they do not...and will never, ever duplicate the impact Iverson had when he was in his prime. 
100% Truth.

I'm following this post, and it seems a lot of you all are giving Jordan a pass just because he's Jordan. Him and Duncan can be in the same category as far as I'm concerned. Both extremely talented, but not "once in a generation" players.

You all say that Jordan came before Kobe, and Kobe is just an imitation. However, can once-in-a-generation players truly be replicated?

Show me a knock off version of Lebron James talent. I don't really see it happening.

Before Jordan was even out of the league we had a rising player with a similar skill-set and talent.

I highly doubt we'll see a Lebron replica before he retires. And that is a testament to his "once-in-a-generation" talent.

MJ, like Duncan, mastered their skill-sets and were able to win, but we'll see the story again.

There's a difference between having a unique talent and a unique LEVEL of talent.

MJ, Duncan, Kobe have spectacular LEVEL of talents, but it doesn't mean that their talents in themselves are remarkably unique. They are just the pinnacle of what they're supposed to be. But it is absolutely not unimaginable that someone could also come out with a pretty similar skillset or playstyle and refine it far enough enough to be one of the all-time greats. This is what MJ, Duncan, and Kobe did and they should absolutely be respected for being reaching the pinnacle of their position. However, that does NOT mean they have unique, once-in-a-generation talents. It's really not the same thing.

Someone like Lebron has a skillset and playstyle that I just have a very hard time seeing anyone else replicating. Magic had a combination of talents and physical characteristics that is absolutely and completely unique (and will be so for at least another generation, if ever).

Again, it is NO slight to MJ, Duncan, or Kobe to say they aren't "unique" or "once-in-a-generation". Being unique is not necessarily the same as being good. Conversely, just because you're good (or really, really good) doesn't mean your talents are unique.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by BeallsFinest

Gervin wasn't 6'10" though....

Yeah, he was about 2 inches shorter. But, all I was saying is that it's hard to really put into context. Durant plays so much like him, but because he is a couple inches taller, does that make him a "once-in-a-gen." player?

With your criteria, I guesss I would probably agree wit you. 
laugh.gif

I agree, Kobe doesn't belong because we saw Jordan, but then Dirk also doesn't belong because there was Bird.  Dirk doesn't do anything that Larry didn't do and Larry did it better. 

Nash and TMac made me laugh out loud, thanks, I needed that. 

Anyone know if Dr J could really shoot it?  I'm guessing not so much cuz if he did, then Mike wouldn't be on this list either. 

Shaq
Barkley
Mike
Allen
Magic
Larry
Lebron

Were brand new molds.  I could see KG getting thrown in there.  And Durant certainly wants to be put in the discussion. 

One last name I "thought" had a shot but just hasn't quite lived up to yet, is Stat.  I thought he was going to shatter KG's mold and go even beyond, but injuries sort of derailed him.  Shooting 18 footers but also damn near able to dunk from the free throw line, he had a chance.  To me, he should dominate even more then what D12 does now, Stat had that kinda talent.  His knees just took some of it away is all. 

Jordan was a revolutionary. I can not see how he wasn't a once in a generation type player.

I understood what he meant by the MJ comment. Gotta understand the primary basis for this argument is just talent and skillset...not necessarily how they put it all together and what they accomplished.

When MJ come along...I don't think anyone went "this type of player doesn't come around often". 

People are arguing two different things now. 

Once-in-a-generation talent...

Once-in-a-generation player...

They are indeed different things.

He's not because there is/was someone who played AT THE SAME TIME as him with the same talent. Durant, Shaq, Magic, Bron, A.I. and Dirk should be on every single persons list. They are the definition of once in a generation TALENT. You have a 6'10" guard, the most dominating physical speciman to touch a court, a 6'8" point, the most physically/athletically gifted player to touch a court, the best little scorer ever and. 7 footer with one of the best jumpshots in history. Those are unique and ONCE in a generation type talents. Listing MJ who's been replicated by Kobe is not once in a generation talent. Oh I almost forgot Hakeem he definitely deserves to be on the list. I think a lot of you are clouding production with talent.

Appreciate those who understand the basis of the argument.

Mike is my GOAT, but once in a generation talent will usually get picked up #1 in the draft.

Back
Top Bottom