In their prime: Gary Payton or Steve Nash?

We all know Nash has the two MVP's (questionable) but who would you rather have IN THEIR PRIME leading your team? Nash is a great distributer and can scorewhen his team needs him too, but GP averaged about 25 and 8 (correct me if im wrong) in his prime and was also probably the best defender in the league for 4-5years. NT, what do you think? I'm going with The Glove.

For me it would Payton, no questions asked.

6a22565414a2748763958c3709287f6ada813c3.pjpg

Payton in his prime with his team playing his type of game > Nash in his prime with his team playing his type of game.

Payton was damn near a 5-tool PG......fastbreak, halfcourt, lowblock, defense, scoring.

This could be an ugly A vs. B thread though LOL

Gary Payton went to the Finals.

Nash? Not so much.

And suffice it to say that Nash's PHX teams have been better than the team Gary took to the Finals.

I don't know... maybe not.

GP had Kemp, Perkins, Hawkins, Shrempf... on the Suns, Nash has had Amare, Bell, Marion, Barbosa, Q-Rich, Joe Johnson...

Tough call.

But still, Finals > MVP

GP and Kemp were very fun to watch at their prime. I don't think people realize how good GP really was in his younger days. The guy was doing what JasonKidd is doing now but much better. GP and Stockton were locks in the All-Star every year like Kobe and McGrady is now.

GP easy. dude didn't put up as many assists, but he could put up more points, steals, and rebounds while averaging less turnovers. he played D unlike nash,and his swagger is much better than nash.

Ide take GP in his prime than most of the PG's playing now. "The Glove"
pimp.gif

And by the way.....

gp3_blk_wht_4.jpg

pimp.gif

But still, Finals > MVP
You serious? There have been many more players who have co-led their team to the finals than MVP winners. Would you take whoever the leader was ofthe 99 Knicks over Steve Nash? Or better yet another non-NBA finals making regular season MVP, Kevin Garnett?

Oh, well since we're posting kicks:

zoom_gp_wht_blk.jpg

pimp.gif

But still, Finals > MVP
Xtapolapacetl wrote:
You serious? There have been many more players who have co-led their team to the finals than MVP winners. Would you take whoever the leader was of the 99 Knicks over Steve Nash? Or better yet another non-NBA finals making regular season MVP, Kevin Garnett?

I hate when people try to do this. Someone makes a statement in one context, and they try to make it as if the statement that person made issupposed to be (or was intended to be) a universal statement for all parallel situations.

I wasn't talking about the '99 Knicks, or Kevin Garnett.

I was saying 'Finals > MVP' in discussing the careers of Gary Payton and Steve Nash.

That's it.

I'm not sure how this even a debate. GP is one of the best defenders of all time, along with putting up very good scoring and respectable assist numbers.

I would say its a debate because Steve Nash won CONSECUTIVE MVP'S!!! I think a lot of you are undervaluing this acheivement. The only players to everacheive this feat in NBA history are Wilt, Russel, Kareem, Bird, Magic, MJ, Duncan, and NASH!

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

I'm not sure how this even a debate. GP is one of the best defenders of all time, along with putting up very good scoring and respectable assist numbers.

It's not a debate, it's a cheap way for Nash haters to have a good time. Hence you see my name in the first five posting.

Next we'll be having a Wilt vs Nash in their primes thread. See ya there.
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom