Information Systems?

anyone majoring in this on NT that can give me any sort of info on it, and if you're a graduate what do you do now?
seems like it's kind of a hybrid between business and engineering. I'm an EE major but I have more interest in business than what I'm doing now.
Think I might set up an appointment to talk with an advisor in a couple weeks whenever I read more into it
Also I'm pretty hesitant about switching beecause I know I wont have a problem getting a job if I stick with this engineering major, but if I switch I'm going to have to start the whole networking process over again

I'm actually about to switch to an IT major. I'm currently enrolled in a business program for Finance. So IS isn't too much different you take similar courses I think.

Originally Posted by Jerome in the House

I'm actually about to switch to an IT major. I'm currently enrolled in a business program for Finance. So IS isn't too much different you take similar courses I think.

really? what made you switch from Finance because I was looking at that too, investment banking is really what I've been wanting to do since high school, but over the years I've become a computer nerd and I saw that Information Systems involves hardware and software and also deals with business so it seems perfect

Im majoring in business administration (finance) at san diego state and im taking Info Systems. Right now it is a lot of excel work, and access. excel is alright, i can use it on my mac, but you gonna need a windows computer for microsoft access. its not that bad, just cant lose focus and you gotta know your computer, especially those two computer programs that i had no knowledge of walking into that class
smh.gif

one of the main things I am wondering about are the types of jobs out there with that type of major.
Is it something that requires living in a big city and are there any gov jobs

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Originally Posted by Jerome in the House

really? what made you switch from Finance because I was looking at that too, investment banking is really what I've been wanting to do since high school, but over the years I've become a computer nerd and I saw that Information Systems involves hardware and software and also deals with business so it seems perfect

I just want to go into something I enjoy doing. My current goal is to get an internship at IBM atm

I graduated with a Management Information Systems degree. There really are many paths you can choose after school. I'm more into the networking/hardware side and currently have a job as a help desk in the network operations department (sub dept of IT at the company I'm with). Have had this job a little more than a year, currently working on some certifications (A+ now and N+ soon after) since that is a great way to improve skills and move up in my area. I also though about being a database admin or web developer and still may look into databasing as the job seems good and so is the pay in some companies.

i was a former business admin student, but i ended up switching and getting my degree in computer science (since IS was not offered at my school). if you think you want a career as a programmer i highly suggest CS as it gives you the theoretical knowledge behind computers. i was more hands on and enjoyed my database mgmt class, networking class, and my professor suggested to get a masters in information systems.

this fall i'll start getting my masters in IS, hoping to one day get a job working as a network engineer or database admin like jayt206.

as far as jobs, it helps to live near a big city, as major companies need people to maintain their systems, networks, etc.... I live near NYC so possibilities are pretty much endless. However, don't expect to be hired right away as competition is a lot fiercer there. most entry level jobs (with BS in IS) will require at least 2-3 years experience. get basic certifications as it will help. I have my Comptia A+ which was VERY easy to get if you know your way around computers, and I'll be getting my Network+ this June.

I have an internship lined up this summer as a technology intern, so I'm hoping they put my skills to the test

Originally Posted by stylez23

i was a former business admin student, but i ended up switching and getting my degree in computer science (since IS was not offered at my school). if you think you want a career as a programmer i highly suggest CS as it gives you the theoretical knowledge behind computers. i was more hands on and enjoyed my database mgmt class, networking class, and my professor suggested to get a masters in information systems.

this fall i'll start getting my masters in IS, hoping to one day get a job working as a network engineer or database admin like jayt206.

as far as jobs, it helps to live near a big city, as major companies need people to maintain their systems, networks, etc.... I live near NYC so possibilities are pretty much endless. However, don't expect to be hired right away as competition is a lot fiercer there. most entry level jobs (with BS in IS) will require at least 2-3 years experience. get basic certifications as it will help. I have my Comptia A+ which was VERY easy to get if you know your way around computers, and I'll be getting my Network+ this June.

I have an internship lined up this summer as a technology intern, so I'm hoping they put my skills to the test
if it's an entry level job how do they expect you to have 2-3 years of experience?

Back
Top Bottom