Information Technology (IT)

Active Directory :x

Make sure to activate Advanced Features and get practice manipulating User, computer, AND group settings.

AD is a beautiful dame, but an unforgiving one.

Yea, I need to get some more practice with AD. I got to take home a few older PC's and a laptop from work that they were throwing out. I'm going to set up a little home network one of these days soon.

I want to set up on our company to a real domain so I can have real control of the computers but I need to really understand my full advantages of it. I have taken a systems admin course that went under a quick overview of AD and how to use Server 2008/2012 but in a business setting there are more things to take into account than handling a virtual machine.

Questions I have:

Can I schedule tasks from domain controller to group pcs?
what can be saved on user accounts in regards to being able to switch from pc to pc? can i lets say store an outlook file (.pst file) on the server and have the users setting set to only read that .pst file when that user is in the domain?
Does having the computers on a domain help with license management? Will i be able to have full access to a computer that is on the domain in regards to access HDD files?

Last edited:
1. Can I schedule tasks from domain controller to group pcs?

2. what can be saved on user accounts in regards to being able to switch from pc to pc? can i lets say store an outlook file (.pst file) on the server and have the users setting set to only read that .pst file when that user is in the domain?

3. Does having the computers on a domain help with license management? Will i be able to have full access to a computer that is on the domain in regards to access HDD files?

1. Yes. DC + NiNite will change your life.

2. Yes. In my environment, regardless of which machine a user signs in to, their .PST will be read and they'll have access to all of their emails. Things like folders within outlook won't follow, but their emails will. Same with Lync. That's pretty much all that we have configured. Their firewall settings follow them as well.

3. Yes. Yes yes yes. Look into Dell's KACE system. At a glance I can enter an asset tag and see who's logged in, the last time the computer was online, the last inventory, all software/hardware installed (assuming its been defined) and it will even update licensure status in real time. Data visualization and all of that.

Comp Sci major 
glasses.gif
 ..almost done with undergrad at Towson University

Currently a junior web developer at a small business. Considering  a transition to networking, is the market better in the the networking industry?

I'm currently in undergrad. I just landed an internship that turns into a long term position. So far its been good. I'm able to dabble in various areas of IT.

I'm currently in undergrad. I just landed an internship that turns into a long term position. So far its been good. I'm able to dabble in various areas of IT.

LEARN LEARN LEARN as much as u can. Whatever that u can learn to enhance your current skills, learn new skills, and enhance your resume.

LEARN LEARN LEARN as much as u can. Whatever that u can learn to enhance your current skills, learn new skills, and enhance your resume.
Thats what Im doing man. I realize that this is a great opportunity so I'm taking it all in.

This, and don't get complacent. Just because it turns into a full time job doesn't mean you cant look for or take other opportunities. Try to get in as many good internships as you can in undergrad. Try to get better positions and bigger names on your resume with every move.

Maybe one of you guys can point me in the right direction, I'm trying to study to take windows 8 desktop certification. They have a class but it's 3G, is there any websites that offer study guides and tips for exam prep?

Signed up for the Cisco NETACAD at my local CC

I feel i'm better suited for the classroom setting as opposed to self-study, especially in this field

Last edited:
My supervisor.....her daughters bf...just got a job in IT 1500 a week for the new haven school system fresh out CC. Dunno.if he took a special course or program though. Here's the kicker though....his mom works for the school system. Who you know....
.kid stupid young.

^congrats and good luck...

i gotta register for my local CC next week. hopefully i can be in a entry level job by this time next year...

My supervisor.....her daughters bf...just got a job in IT 1500 a week for the new haven school system fresh out CC. Dunno.if he took a special course or program though. Here's the kicker though....his mom works for the school system. Who you know....
.kid stupid young.
That is a nice salary. I remember when me and my friends from school got our offers and started doing IT and talked about the old heads and how they fussed about how long it took them to make what we were at 
laugh.gif
. The kicker is, they were there before the bubble popped and were able to get the stupid salaries from those small start up companies. With a little experience and degree/certifications on hand, you should be able to start off with a decent salary as well. 

To the guy wanting to mess with AD...make sure to tinker with OUs & GPOs as well. Having all systems on the same domain makes managing and pushing out settings/policies/programs that much easier. If you want to get into scripting to automate or make mass changes to help you out as well, look into Windows Powershell commands/scripts too.

.kid stupid young.

Smh, makes me wish I had my head on right when I was younger.

Dam.. 1500 a week is kinda wild, fresh out. II'mat 775 aa week and not even in IT field yet. Every body seems to be crapping on A+ and N+ but I think im going to cop the book and plow through just to have the certification. I'm really tech savy so it should n't be a problem. I need this change, I've always loved IT and computers.

.kid stupid young.
Yup its all about who you know, thats a sweet plug. Thats why I'm all about networking.

I have a meeting with the Vice President and General Manager of the Cyber Division for my company is a few weeks I'm pretty hype. Hoping to learn alot from her and talk about prospective positions after graduation.

That is a nice salary. I remember when me and my friends from school got our offers and started doing IT and talked about the old heads and how they fussed about how long it took them to make what we were at 
laugh.gif
. The kicker is, they were there before the bubble popped and were able to get the stupid salaries from those small start up companies. With a little experience and degree/certifications on hand, you should be able to start off with a decent salary as well. 
Man those guys had it good. Didn't even have to get a degree and they were making bank. Lady I work with now has been in the field for 30+ years, and she is going back to school(online) to finish her BS. Seems like even with a bunch of experience now a days a degree will give you a pay raise, or a better position.

Last edited:
Yea man. These guys doing basic engineer work pulling 175k+ easy. Turning down 135-150k gigs and stuff :x

Those older people going back to school most of the time are almost forced to or they will be stuck. Want a manager position, senior level, or team lead type spot, they want you to have that piece of paper now.

Yea man. These guys doing basic engineer work pulling 175k+ easy. Turning down 135-150k gigs and stuff
sick.gif

Those older people going back to school most of the time are almost forced to or they will be stuck. Want a manager position, senior level, or team lead type spot, they want you to have that piece of paper now.
You already know these DMV IT dudes out here flourishing smh if only it were that easy now. I'm still gonna grind for it though.

My company lost the contract I was on, so i'm gonna make the jump to IT. I'm in Virginia and i'm looking for a cheap place to take the A+ certification test. Paying $188 is ridiculous. Anyone know any places to get a voucher for under $100?

Back
Top Bottom