Information Technology (IT)

Anyone in here ever or currently work for T. Rowe price in the within IT field? If so please PM me I have a question

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/certifications-in-the-tech-industry-2071456

is this legit?

What certs can I get, with no degree, that'll get me a good job? Im getting help financially to take the courses and exams. Just want to know which ones. Also for example, the CCDA has a pre-req of CCNA, but after doing the pre reqs (CCNA in this case) and getting what certification thats listed on that website, are you good in the marketplace to actually make around 100k?
Look, it doesnt matter if u dont have a degree...the most important thing is how well do u understand stuff....u have to understand in work situations emergencies happen so u have to prepped for that..otherwise yeah, but for me (as someone who was a comp sci granted also)....I went A+, Net+, Linux+, CCNA....u need a strong base whatever u consider that to be...from there skys the limit..just study and never ever stop...working on ccna security right now, need to renew my ccna

Ok cool thanks. Another question:

Say I work as a Business Analyst or as a QA Tester for 3-5 years. If I get one of those certs ( say the CCDA) or something technical like that and wanted to switch job titles, would I start out at 50-60k even though I have IT experience and understand the SDLC? Or because It's a completely different job would I start out at entry level regardless of my BA or QA experience?

I know someone who took some 6 month course in Cyber Security and got a decent job straight out. Its a friend of a friends neighbor so they dont know what certification exactly but making the right moves in IT is definitely important

Just so many options in IT lol it gets confusing and kind of overwhelming when trying to figure out the right path
its about how u negotiate and if u have other skills that relate...ive seen crazy jumps

DOD private sector the big companies like: General Atomics, Northop, Lockheed, and HP usually have DOD contract jonbs. NMCI which is now called NGEN has been divided up but HP still has a lot of the jobs and trust me HP is a terrible company to work for.

Other big private companies out here: Solar Turbines: oil industry, a ton of Biomed companies out here, LPL Financial, Intuit is out here. Medical industry: Kaiser, Scripps health, and Sharp.

Thanks for the info.

Is the Navy portion of NMCI called NGEN too? I talked to a sailor and he’s still calling it NMCI. Marines changed the name of the network but it is under the NGEN contract.
FYI, the new Navy contract with Perspecta (HP) just got signed this afternoon. :lol:

I just got a bump in pay as a ACTR, as I'm about to hit my fifth year in IT. I also got a call from a former co-worker that may parlay into a cloud position at $90k a year.

It's about who you know as much as what you know.

FYI, the new Navy contract with Perspecta (HP) just got signed this afternoon. :lol:

I just got a bump in pay as a ACTR, as I'm about to hit my fifth year in IT. I also got a call from a former co-worker that may parlay into a cloud position at $90k a year.

It's about who you know as much as what you know.

tenor.gif

I know Desktop Senior techs at Kaiser that are making $40 to $45 per hour. The leads make 6 figures. My team alone there are dudes that have been on desktop support for at least 10 or 15 years.

We also are on a union to protect our jobs and our medical and dental is dirty cheap on co-pays.

man, its just so frustrating without a degree. Im gonna officially start in QA and then transition over to cloud computing by finishing up aws certs while working. thats the plan so far!

Left my company a month ago and been doing contract work.

Crazy how much more I can demand as a contractor compared to what my last employer was paying me.

But now I have some other gigs that might be coming through the pipeline and I don’t know what to do. I like the security of a steady gig to fall back on, but I’m literally charging 3x as much per hour than what my last job was paying if you break my salary ther down per hour.

Might go full time and contractor if I can find something remote and allows me to work night hours

Hey guys I graduate this December. I major in Information Systems with a concentration in Data Analytics. I been debating entering the masters program here at the University of Arkansas. I just wanted to ask you guys if there is any real benefit to getting a masters degree in this field or should I just enter the job market as soon as possible.

Get that money...unless you're trying to be a manager.

Experience, e.g. body of work carries more weight in IT versus qualifications like certs and degrees (unless it's for a high level management position or Tier 3 technician).

Hey guys I graduate this December. I major in Information Systems with a concentration in Data Analytics. I been debating entering the masters program here at the University of Arkansas. I just wanted to ask you guys if there is any real benefit to getting a masters degree in this field or should I just enter the job market as soon as possible.
Like spiderjericho spiderjericho said "get that money". The company I work at now will actually pay a portion of your tuition if you decide to get your masters while you work. You have to be working full time of course which means your schooling would be part time, so it would take a big longer(unless you're crazy and try to do FT school). That being said if you really want a masters, might as well get the bag and go to school at the same time.
If I'm being really real..... I don't know how beneficial a masters is going to be. It might get you a pay increase but as far as getting hired initially, I think experience > education.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I’ll hold off on getting my masters. I’ve been wanting to more into application development and database. What resources have you guys used to learn coding?

Anyone interested in job opportunities if I posted them? Tried to start a separate thread for it but it'd make the most sense here since all the ones I get are going to be IT. They're not just all local either, once I got my resume on ClearanceJobs, Indeed, and maybe Careerbuilder, I get hit up from all over the world. I now need to go log into all these damn sites and deactivate my profile because I get too many calls and emails, I probably get 6-8 a day by phone and even more by email.

I want someone to relocate here though, I'll help you with the adjustment. Get on this migration contract with the Chickasha for 97k after per diem (it's a lot everywhere but 97k in Oklahoma is a stupid lot)

Anyone interested in job opportunities if I posted them? Tried to start a separate thread for it but it'd make the most sense here since all the ones I get are going to be IT. They're not just all local either, once I got my resume on ClearanceJobs, Indeed, and maybe Careerbuilder, I get hit up from all over the world. I now need to go log into all these damn sites and deactivate my profile because I get too many calls and emails, I probably get 6-8 a day by phone and even more by email.
I'm in the DMV area, anything posted for those areas would be appreciated

I want someone to relocate here though, I'll help you with the adjustment. Get on this migration contract with the Chickasha for 97k after per diem (it's a lot everywhere but 97k in Oklahoma is a stupid lot)

I would definitely be interested. I have been recently looking for jobs

My homeboy from Arkansas did his undergrad and Masters at the University of Arkansas. He's pretty successful here in DC.

Back
Top Bottom