Information Technology (IT)

I recently updated my indeed profile to list hade a TS/SCI (don’t know why I waited 2 years to do it), recruiters have been coming out left and right. I’m not prepared for them to blow my phone up once I get my sec +
Any concerns about putting your clearance level out in the “open”?

just got off the phone with the recruiter they didn't like ya boy and i was not surprised cuz i didn't gel with them either

she asked me for feedback and I old em they need to revamp their whole interview process and i won’t be interested in another position until they do so lol. she was very acceptive of the feedback and was taking notes and i told her as a security professional i don’t wanna program i wanna focus on security so if u ask me to code during an interview im not finna and yeah i don’t think anything will change but did my due diligence
Let them know that the interview structure is very weird and how do they expect to ask me a general question then keep poking for me to go in deeper on the respons an di told her i stopped the interviewer and told him to be more direct
she said their review was that I lacked domain knowledge and i was like i’m 5 years in and got. masters so i’m not sure how they came to that conclusion :lol:
it was with google by the way, i feel like their interview process is for attracting weirdos of the fairer skin

I have a brother in law that's a recruiter for them and I have a family member who just left from a cushy position with them to pursue his own endeavor. Both speak very lowly of their interview process and how ridiculous it can be for interviewees.

This is a fact. Did an interview with them some years ago and that sums up the process. A few friends worked there and bounced cause they got some racist practices there as well in terms of promotions and preferential treatment.
Yeah its really a mess over there
Bro.. that's literally how my interview went with Google for a freaking help desk job like 5 years ago.

The tech question they had for me was:

"There's a building where an old company used to work at. The old company has left and and a new company moved into the building.

Once the new company set up all their computers, some users can't connect to the internet while others can.

What is causing the issue?"

The answer was "Not enough IP addresses because some were already assigned to computers from the old company"

:rofl:

At the time I had no network knowledge but looking back now it was such a terrible question.

Why would a new company moving into a building not have their own DHCP servers and network equipment??

:stoneface:

lmao they are so weird about it and im like dude ur example doesn't happen in the real world!

in the real world their are specifics u will never get a vague problem like that

I have a brother in law that's a recruiter for them and I have a family member who just left from a cushy position with them to pursue his own endeavor. Both speak very lowly of their interview process and how ridiculous it can be for interviewees.
glad to hear i wasn't the only one.

i spent like 20 minutes with the recruiter talking about how they can improve the process and let her know if they do change their process i would be up to interview again

Had a recruiter reach out to me regarding a senior sys admin role that’s 95% remote. Going off the job description, I check all the boxes for what they want but I know I wouldn’t classify myself as a sys admin let alone senior level. I’m going to go through and see if I can get it while also working my current gig since I’m already at home not doing much.

I recently updated my indeed profile to list hade a TS/SCI (don’t know why I waited 2 years to do it), recruiters have been coming out left and right. I’m not prepared for them to blow my phone up once I get my sec +
I didnt think to do that. I need to add my trust to my LinkedIn…

Who cares is they use you as HUMINT lol.

Honestly, I don’t blame you. If it leads to a decent cleared job, why not?

I have a confession. I took headshots lol for my LinkedIn (I’ll create an Indeed soon).
There’s nothing pii related so that’s why I don’t care.

I still have a pic from 2013 (before my locs) and people be so surprised when they search me on LinkedIn. Pic doesn’t matter IMO

Starting my new job on Wednesday. Completed my software tester education in early March so this will be my first job specifically in testing.
Previously I worked as Head of IT Support and Web Admin for a mental health org.

After just the next day after my second interview, they already sent me a contract offer. Kinda shocked at how good the offer was tbh.
€1900/month post-tax, that's pretty high in general but the average for a junior test engineer was more around €1600 from what I heard.

The company does use a programming language (C#) I have zero experience with though so I can only hope the learning process goes well. I'm good with Python and know a bit of JavaScript but that's about it.
Will mostly be working with Cucumber, Postman and Jira from what I heard. Thankfully Cucumber and Postman were what I was best at during my education but I don't have any experience with Jira either. I made all of that clear during the interviews though and the project leader was still "extremely enthusiastic" about my application so he must have a lot of confidence in me.

Anyone think freelance web development is worth it?

Does anyone do any freelance work here?

Just thinking about ways for other income within the field.

I don't but know others who do. If you're reasonably good at it, sure. It tends to pay very well.

I don't but know others who do. If you're reasonably good at it, sure. It tends to pay very well.
Oh okay cool. I just wasn't sure if it was profitable still due to the rise of sites like Wordpress.

I definitely want to look into some side hustles and this was my first thought.

Oh okay cool. I just wasn't sure if it was profitable still due to the rise of sites like Wordpress.

I definitely want to look into some side hustles and this was my first thought.
My teacher in my software tester education actually teaches for fun and already makes more than enough money to live comfortably solely off freelance webdesigning. I never asked for specific amounts, that felt a bit too invasive to ask as a student, but he was always adamant that the pay to work ratio for freelance webdesign is pretty wild, in a good way. He emphasized that you definitely need a strong network of connections though.

Last edited:
Anyone have any study resources for the A+? Only 1 course on udemy and none on coursera
I took 2 courses on udemy for the ITF+ so I was hoping to do the same

It's impossible there's only one course on udemy. For comptia stuff they'll likely have Jason Dion and Mike Meyers stuff which both should be good. Professor Messer is free and good too.

It's impossible there's only one course on udemy. For comptia stuff they'll likely have Jason Dion and Mike Meyers stuff which both should be good. Professor Messer is free and good too.

Maybe I need to check when I’m on desktop but I only see a class by Mike meyers and practice tests by Jason dion on udemy now

Starting my new job on Wednesday. Completed my software tester education in early March so this will be my first job specifically in testing.
Previously I worked as Head of IT Support and Web Admin for a mental health org.

After just the next day after my second interview, they already sent me a contract offer. Kinda shocked at how good the offer was tbh.
€1900/month post-tax, that's pretty high in general but the average for a junior test engineer was more around €1600 from what I heard.

The company does use a programming language (C#) I have zero experience with though so I can only hope the learning process goes well. I'm good with Python and know a bit of JavaScript but that's about it.
Will mostly be working with Cucumber, Postman and Jira from what I heard. Thankfully Cucumber and Postman were what I was best at during my education but I don't have any experience with Jira either. I made all of that clear during the interviews though and the project leader was still "extremely enthusiastic" about my application so he must have a lot of confidence in me.
congrats mane!!!

I think finding the client is the tricky part. But people are still charging crazy prices for websites. Even with Wix and Wordpress out there, the end user still has to do customization to the template after they select it. Some people don't want to have to deal with building the webpage at all.

After doing some research posting your clearance on LinkedIn is actually a debate. I did find this resume Do’s and Don’ts document from the NSA that says disclosing the fact you are cleared is ok. But it’s unclear if this guidance applies to public profiles or only resumes you are sending directly to someone.

Also, your whole profile contains PII. A single data element (e.g., a clearance) may not be linkable/traceable to a specific individual but when combined with others you can start to paint a picture. Disclosing your own PII generally isn’t an issue from a privacy standpoint but for cleared individuals could introduce opsec risks. Likelihood of something actually happening is a different discussion.

Just be mindful of your digital footprint and what you disclose.

I used to envy management in IT, but after doing this for the past 3 months, not so much anymore. Dealing with people takes patience to say the at least. Seems like alot of folks hop in IT for the $$ with no desire to put in the necessary work.
We always have to deal with people in this field it seems. My goal for now is just to get away from the end user as quick as possible :lol:

Back
Top Bottom