Information Technology (IT)

^^^Good luck in your studies.

Personally, I think the A+ is harder than Net+. But that's based on taking the exam in 2007. There was way more crap to remember. Then you have to take a customer service test, lol. Imagine if you had to do that for Network+ and Security+?

Last edited:
Can I ask you brah's something.

I'm attaining my Master's in Speech-Language Pathology next year but I always had a drive for IT but never went that route. My friend was telling me he got his master's in Supply Chain management and got a job in IT with that. Does that even make sense?

I always though you needed a degree in an aspect of IT to work in it. Am I wrong?

I'm enlisted Air Force and signed up for an IT related field. On the job experience is crucial, certs definitely help but all the hands on i've had has helped me immensely. I've dabbled into a bit of everything, servers, network infrastructure, etc. I just started up my training for my CCNA, i currently have security+. I've talked to so many people with my career field when they were in and now work anywhere from GS-11 and up jobs with no degree of any kind. Most people go GS jobs or contractors for the government. Strictly certs and on the job training/experience. Good luck to everyone out there pursuing a career in IT, i've found it to be a fulfilling job.

Last edited:
You don't need a degree to get into IT. As I mentioned before, it one of those career fields that doesn't have field, state or national certifications/Licensing. Certifications and degrees are just used to get your foot in the door. Having said that, not having experience is an issue and could determine what type of job you're able to get.

And, imo, Federal Government jobs (contractor and GS) are all about who you know. It's actually pretty depressing and corrupt in some ways.

I have one soldier who is separating. That person was probably my worst employee/subordinate the last few years. They have no certifications, no degree and really didn't do too much IT related work. There is a story behind it but it's neither here nor there. The important thing is they were offered a contracting job. They have no clue what quality of worker they are or what they know. But I say get yours.

You don't need a degree to get into IT. As I mentioned before, it one of those career fields that doesn't have field, state or national certifications/Licensing. Certifications and degrees are just used to get your foot in the door. Having said that, not having experience is an issue and could determine what type of job you're able to get.

And, imo, Federal Government jobs (contractor and GS) are all about who you know. It's actually pretty depressing and corrupt in some ways.

I have one soldier who is separating. That person was probably my worst employee/subordinate the last few years. They have no certifications, no degree and really didn't do too much IT related work. There is a story behind it but it's neither here nor there. The important thing is they were offered a contracting job. They have no clue what quality of worker they are or what they know. But I say get yours.

Agreed, some of the GS employees i've seen were referred by others who are already GS positions. We actually got a civilian in our shop recently who was prior enlisted. It's a GS-11 position doing exactly what i'm doing now. Problem is dude doesn't know very much. He was prior comm but it sure as hell doesn't show cause he doesn't know what he's doing. Kind of upsetting cause that could be me, i know what i'm doing though and would actually help the shop out instead of taking up a desk.

Where I'm at, there is a heavy number of government positions, it's ridiculous. Anyone can net a GS12 position if they play their cards right or know people. Then it's the politics or perform game.

Not trying to cast shade. But some of these people are prior enlisted, some low ranking E4s-E6s and all of a sudden are placed in these serious management positions with low maturity, experience and management/leadership skills.

Sometimes they can list a position but it's filled because of nepotism. For some, it's all about that safety net.

Last edited:

That's the main thing and it sucks. It's also about locale and what the opportunities are. I'm still tryna figure out how to get the experience w/o necessarily having a gig so that I can eventually get the gig, which is what I assume many others are going through. I've done computer work but not professionally but employers want professional experience. Bad all the way around :smh:

Currently a web developer. Really want to transition into the marketing/sales aspect of a software company. Got an interview coming up with a global company as telemarketer. Not an ideal role but that might be a foot in the door. Is this opportunity worth giving up my current position?

Im about to get a commerce degree but ive been thinking about getting into the IT world for a bit, what should i do first?

I've been mulling over the decision to get out of my current field and persue a career in IT. I've been in the the automotive industry for 10 years but the job I've been at for the last 5 years really turned me off of all of this. I'm ready to make a change.

How should I approach it? Should I go back to school or try to get in to a entry level position gain experience and pick up certs along the way.

Thanks bros.

Just finished my BA In Business, looking to get into IT field how should I Go about this? should I  get Cisco certified ? Any info would be appreciated  

I have my CCENT working on CCNA and CCNA Voice. My advice to everyone whos coming into networking, make sure its a career you want to do. So far I realized this is a career of forever studying, and staying on top. Im sharing this with you guys cause I know how hard it was when i started. Also CBT Nuggets can help ALOT. Best of luck.

IT in general is a field that you will forever be studying . You have to stay up to date with technology and get new certs .

Scheduled my test for A+ this Jan. How hard is it? How much do i need to learn in terms of being of the study guide that comes along with it? Im using A+ nugget and the COMPtia A+ study guide. im going thru it and its a lot to learn.

Honestly, I don't know. Probably not the answer you want to here. I took the exam back in 2007 so that was 7 years ago. I remember it was a lot of memorization of IEEE standards, computer part functions, operating systems and how to troubleshoot issues. I'm sure that part hasn't changed. I remember the second test being more difficult due to how abstract it is. The first one is like do you know this. The second is more troubleshooting scenarios.

Honestly, in the past couple of weeks, I easily walked in and passed the Sec+ and Net+ after letting them expire. I don't think I could take that approach with A+ since computer hardware has had more advancement than networking (UEFI, SATA, Quad to Octo Core processors, DDR3 and DDR 4 memory, video cards, wifi standards, etc). Hopefully, there's no IO functions and dip switches anymore, lol.

Last edited:
It depends on experience and knowledge really. It's probably better to study when you're not concentrating on multiple things like school, etc unless you're a great multi-tasker.

I've taken the Network+ exam three times, passed all three times in 2006, 2010 and 2014, and Security+ four times, failed my first time in 2006, passed in 2006, 2011 and 2014.

I failed the Security+ my first time. I took the exam a year after switching to IT in the military and a lot of the concepts and terminology was new to me.

Every time I've taken the exams later, I've aced them in the 800s (0-900 grading scale). I have 10 years of IT experience though.

If you haven't worked in the industry and your studies haven't dipped too deeply into the topics covered in the exam, I'd recommend reading the self-study guide and doing practice exams (Skillsoft, Measureup, Boson, etc).

Besides the entry-level Fundamentals you learn, the main perk of having these certifications is in obtaining DoD IT job positions. It's the only reason why I have them. To work in certain technician roles, the DoD requires Information Assurance and operating system certifications. Example for me to be a Tier-2 network administrator, I'd need CCNA and Security+. In order to be a Tier-3 network administrator, I might need CCNP/CCIE and CASP or CISSP.

Better certifications are CCNA, PMP, CISSP, VCP, MCSE. CISSP, PMP, OSCP and CCIE are great HR eye raisers and help in obtaining six-figure jobs (though they're not necessary if you have great experience and connections).
Just wanted to bump this thread to let you know you are the...

goat.jpg__800x600_q85_crop.jpg

Just following this post while still working towards my bachelors in CS is finally about to pay off with this internship next week.

If you're looking to go into IT, READ THIS POST.

Last edited:
Urgent help needed. 

Got 2 offers on the table. one for systems administrator, one for business intelligence role.

Which one has the better outlook? I prefer to one day get into the business aspect of a software company, but I just can't decide at the moment.

Urgent help needed. 

Got 2 offers on the table. one for systems administrator, one for business intelligence role.

Which one has the better outlook? I prefer to one day get into the business aspect of a software company, but I just can't decide at the moment.
Depends on what you're trying to do. If you're looking to get tech experience I'd go with the system admin role, however the business intelligence is a good look since you're trying to get into the business field plus if you decide to leave that job later you can always get a business analyst role elsewhere in the future.

Last edited:
Urgent help needed. 

Business Intelligence.

Who hiring? :nerd:

Currently doing tech support for an ISP, been here about a year, just finished up Net+ a few days ago and been checking my options.

Is there anyone here who is good with resume's? I'll pay you if I have to, I need to get a resume' improved on as soon as possible. Real trap ****.

I've had enough of my current job and am looking for a new one closer to home. Hopefully I'll be out of here by January. I can't stand waking up so early and driving out to DC anymore.

Back
Top Bottom