Information Technology (IT)

I keep running into bad jobs :lol:

this one job i applied for, The post says mid-high level security engineer wanted
i have around 6 years of security experience, with like 8 total IT exp.
They said they want someone with more experience for this "senior role"
but they want to pay a salary for 125k

isn't that low for someone considered "senior"

Seems like companies are still in that financial holding pattern from the layoffs earlier in the year. Companies that are doing well overall too. It's like they're waiting on the big boys to say "ok we're hiring big again".

yeah its the same thing ive been encountering, just bizarre situations.
the job that wanted a senior person and wanted to pay low never responded to my question on why they are doing that :lol:
Seen it happen too. "LAyoff" an employee just to hire someone else to take their position a couple months later and probably at a lower salary rate.

Tech interviews in my experience are 1000% a gate keep. Like obviously you need to know how to do the job they are hiring you for or have shown the potential to, but they always get the douchiest incel from the It team and like 9 others from the team who just sit and watch and have him ask me dictionary questions and definitions he wouldnt even know the answer to had he not googled it prior, that are also irrelevant to knowing how to do the actual thing.

As opposed to a better interview technique would be “we use XXX technology, I see you have used XXX in some of your previous roles, tell me about it

And you know they just want to disqualify me because even when I get an answer to his dumbass question he’s always like “oh ok, well how bout when …..” to try to ah hah me.

I learned to treat interviews as the 2 way process they are from that though, especially since i always already have a job so there’s no desperation on my part just the same as you’re selling to the potential employer, they are selling themselves to you so dont forget that. I quickly end the interview when I sense that and they sit there eyes wide and in shock like they didn’t know I could do that as the interviewee.

That's why I slowed on sysadmin interviews, and mostly removed the technical word soup, it was OD. Like you see my resume, why are you asking me for something beyond it and holding me to that standard? "I see you've worked on AD from an IT Support perspective, why don't you know what a $250k AD architect knows?"

Most recent was a vmware admin and he was killing me with port numbers. Like why would i have all of these memorized? That's not at all how you'd interact with the information in the real world, and also it doesn't matter. Typically the network admin is a whole different *** person and if stuff isn't communicating on my end very worst case I'll just hit him up and be like hey check the firewall and see if it's blocking my VMware app volumes server from connecting. He'd come back and be like oh yea I see it on port 834, I unblocked it for you and voila. **** I had checkpoint access for the FAA the whole thing is a 5 second point and click operation itself. But even moreso, given I am setting up the App volumes server or whatever, I am obviously on the internet, and since I am the internet, google and the og tech documents even from VMWare are readily available and I can look the information up in 5 seconds.

100% dude was doing this to everyone he interviews so he can have a friend or colleague of his get the job.

I 1,000,000% guarantee all the jobs that did this to me aren't as hard as they are pretending to disqualify folks

It’s been tough finding a higher paying service desk gig. Doesn’t seem to be much out there right now. Couple that with the requirements these companies ask for, it’s pretty ridiculous

This is one of the reasons why I dont go private sector. Yes, layoffs happen here on this side too but having a security clearance just makes finding a job on this side a lot easier.
Job security factor
I agree with you. But gotdammit the DoD/Federal government so dysfunctional.

GS employees are worse than cancer...they last longer.

I had to do a technical interview for my current job but it was like CCNA questions and knowing military networking (like KGs, etc).

There was a job I did another interview for and they were trying to gotcha me. It was ridiculous. I failed the first technical interview because the person leading the interview was asking me lame do you know this questions? Like do you know Cisco ACI? Do you know Cisco DNAC? etc. When I did the second interview, it was more networking, protocols, technologies, etc. I aced that.

I lost my cloud certifications (Cloud+ and AWS Cloud Practitioner). Apparently, Cloud+ doesn't get renewed anytime you renew say CompTIA Security+ or CASP. Every other CompTIA cert does. Signed up to retake the AWS Cloud Practitioner Course through Stanly CC. It's a pretty comprehensive course. They also offer the SysOps and Solutions Architect Associate courses.

Do y’all find renewing these certifications beneficial? Or, keeping up with newer certs are more beneficial.

^^^Are those just FedVTE courses? I think I still have access (or not lol).

Do y’all find renewing these certifications beneficial? Or, keeping up with newer certs are more beneficial.
I just let a few expire. They’re really only beneficial for the challenge or if it’s a job requirement. I’ve got six CompTIA, two Cisco, four ISACA, CISSP, two ECH, two M$ cloud ones. There’s diminishing returns for all that. It’s probably better to maintain the ones that deliver ROI. I work as a networker. So really only the DoD 8140 and Cisco really benefit me in my current capacity. Plus some of the vendors have cool recertification options. Some do not. I wouldn’t be mad if I lost the EC Council, ISACA certs.

I guess it depends on what they mean to you. It’s a little bit of self gratification for me as someone who only has a high school diploma.

Like MakeNTGreatAgain MakeNTGreatAgain said also, you put in the work so might as well maintain them (although this is a complete money grab).

Let’s goooo! Passed Cisco’s CCNP ENCOR today, I felt really prepared but it still did a number on me smh.

Will probably be going after the advance routing or data center networking specialty. But for now I’m taking a fricking break, I’m burned out!
Congrats bro!

MGM Grand Cyberattack Allegedly Caused by 10-Minute Phone Call​

-MGM grand hacked within 10 minutes from social engineering

-they found an employee from linkedin, got the # to the help desk, and tricked the agent….

We've had OPM, Equifax and SolarWinds hacks. That's definitely the wildest and biggest denial of service to an agency that generates money every second.

Anyone used Resume Builder. Created an account and want to update my resume. The contract prime asked for us all to update our resumes. Didn't really feel like it with the way it currently looks. I like the different formats you can use in Resume Builder without having to mess around with Microsoft Word.

Back
Top Bottom