Information Technology (IT)

Network Admin Here For A Small Company In MD Literally Two Traffic Lights Outside Of DC :lol:

3 Years In Learning Everything As I Go Which Has Been Awesome. Had 5 Years Of IT Support Prior Tho.

Looking To Go Into Some Consulting/Outsourced Work Soon To Get Paid For Wat I Do For My Company Now To Make Money

Funny Im Just Now Considering How Scarce Folks With Jays/Nikes Are In IT, I Always Get Random Compliments/Questions Bout My Shoes.

If You Guys Have Any Questions Bout SQL/Networking/Server Management/AD/Watever Im Down To Give My Unexpert-Expert Advice :rofl:

Network Admin Here For A Small Company In MD Literally Two Traffic Lights Outside Of DC :lol:

3 Years In Learning Everything As I Go Which Has Been Awesome. Had 5 Years Of IT Support Prior Tho.

Looking To Go Into Some Consulting/Outsourced Work Soon To Get Paid For Wat I Do For My Company Now To Make Money

Funny Im Just Now Considering How Scarce Folks With Jays/Nikes Are In IT, I Always Get Random Compliments/Questions Bout My Shoes.

If You Guys Have Any Questions Bout SQL/Networking/Server Management/AD/Watever Im Down To Give My Unexpert-Expert Advice :rofl:

That sounds like around my way :nerd:

Did you have previous experience before you jumped into IT support?

[quote

Did you have previous experience before you jumped into IT support?
name="UnCalled4Boy" url="/t/596982/information-technology-it/30#post_20874209"]Network Admin Here For A Small Company In MD Literally Two Traffic Lights Outside Of DC :lol:

Did you have previous experience before you jumped into IT support?[/quote]

Nah, I Got Lucky Tho And Snagged A Gig In College And Learned From There.

Honestly Hadn't Even Seen The Inside Of A PC Before I Did IT Support. :lol:

@4318michaeljohnson4318

That Sounds Like A Real Nightmare Waiting To Happen Having Your DR Resource Offsite At Your CEOs House.

At My Company We Do Onsite Backups With Symantec (Love/Hate Feelings Towards It) For Redundancy But Recently Moved To Zetta. It's Cloud Based And Literally The Easiest Backup/Restore Software I've Seen So Far.

Not Sure If It Will Be In Your Companies Price Range But Def Maybe Worth A Demo/Look. http://www.zetta.net

I'm about to graduate as a business major in IT management and corporate management. Just not sure where to start after school.

Network Admin Here For A Small Company In MD Literally Two Traffic Lights Outside Of DC
laugh.gif

If You Guys Have Any Questions Bout SQL/Networking/Server Management/AD/Watever Im Down To Give My Unexpert-Expert Advice
roll.gif
IT + sneakerhead = rare breed. I'm glad we have NT to connect the sneakerheads in the IT world.

Do you have any Cisco certs?

the timing of this thread is clutch. been seeing a lot openings at my work for IT. been thinking about getting some certs and going in that direction.

Last edited:
@4318michaeljohnson4318

That Sounds Like A Real Nightmare Waiting To Happen Having Your DR Resource Offsite At Your CEOs House.

At My Company We Do Onsite Backups With Symantec (Love/Hate Feelings Towards It) For Redundancy But Recently Moved To Zetta. It's Cloud Based And Literally The Easiest Backup/Restore Software I've Seen So Far.

Not Sure If It Will Be In Your Companies Price Range But Def Maybe Worth A Demo/Look. http://www.zetta.net
Backup Exec?? BE2010 and up is awesome!

All honesty I really feel you just need to find someone willing to take q chance on you (if you really know your stuff)

One thing about IT everyone will say they want to do it and about how much cheese you can make, but cats don't understand landing your first IT gig is like the hardest task in the world, once you are in the door though and get some years under your belt , sky is the limit.

One thing about IT everyone will say they want to do it and about how much cheese you can make, but cats don't understand landing your first IT gig is like the hardest task in the world, once you are in the door though and get some years under your belt , sky is the limit.
This ^
All honesty I really feel you just need to find someone willing to take q chance on you (if you really know your stuff)
and this ^

Gotta get your foot in the door.

@4318michaeljohnson4318

We use a simple raid 1 software array for our servers data and we have it backed up on another hard drive. On site there are 2 back ups going for the data. Most of our manufacturing and research data are on the nas devices and they are in raid arrays and backed up again on the windows server and an external.

Our CEO lives only about 20 minutes away from the office at worst we may have 2 hours of not having the data but the only time we would use the date would be if our facility was burned down. The other backups have worked really well in any situation were we have needed to obtain data. 175 a month is about 6-7 months of that service.

We use a simple raid 1 software array for our servers data and we have it backed up on another hard drive. On site there are 2 back ups going for the data. Most of our manufacturing and research data are on the nas devices and they are in raid arrays and backed up again on the windows server and an external.

Our CEO lives only about 20 minutes away from the office at worst we may have 2 hours of not having the data but the only time we would use the date would be if our facility was burned down. The other backups have worked really well in any situation were we have needed to obtain data. 175 a month is about 6-7 months of that service.
What service are you using for backups?

What service are you using for backups?

We use synch back because that's what used in the company before I got there for there document backup. Since it's strictly documents we can get away with it. I could of just wrote a simple robocopy script as well and run it as a task service

We use synch back because that's what used in the company before I got there for there document backup. Since it's strictly documents we can get away with it. I could of just wrote a simple robocopy script as well and run it as a task service
You might as well use Windows Server Backup. You can also get creative with batch files and task schedular to use WBADMIN (windows server backup) for backup scheduling and using multiple drives/locations.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754015.aspx

This ^
and this ^

Gotta get your foot in the door.

Truth, in my area, they won't look at u for a helpdesk job writing tickets w/o at least a year AND an A+ cert.
I tried to get some exp w/ Geek Squad but they only promote from within and u have to compete w/ damn near the whole store who's been there for a minute.

Truth, in my area, they won't look at u for a helpdesk job writing tickets w/o at least a year AND an A+ cert.
I tried to get some exp w/ Geek Squad but they only promote from within and u have to compete w/ damn near the whole store who's been there for a minute.
Where do you live @? Come to the Bay Area, there are IT jobs EVERYWHERE

Where do you live @? Come to the Bay Area, there are IT jobs EVERYWHERE

I live in Pittsburgh, the land of 0 opportunity unless you're in the medical field. If I had the funds and a guaranteed gig, and my wife was for it, I'd make the trip.

yup. my development platform is FileMaker though :lol:

No SQL/oracle etc :lol:

I worked at FileMaker for 4 years and it still amazes me when people mention that they actually use it or develop in it. It's a very niche product, but the people who use it, love it.

Just graduated with a degree in Business Admin & Management Information Systems. 

Looking for tips/jobs positions I should get into for entry level! (Information Systems or Information Technology related)

Glad you made this thread.

Back
Top Bottom