Information Technology (IT)

How did you guys start out in the field? Did you major in something related? This seems really interesting, but I have no idea where to start.

I'll copy/paste my response from another thread

I started out interning at a company called CEB back in senior year of high school. I was exposed to everything their IT department had to offer which gave me a lot of the experience I needed to get my foot in the door. I was basically a help desk tech/hardware tech, I didn't have a set position since I was a intern. Interned there again 2 more summers and afterwards I was just applying to IT positions hoping to get something. Finally landed the job I'm currently at which will made it 1 year I've been here last Thursday.

Washington D.C. position opening.

If anyone is interested in an Executive Desktop Support position in D.C. (pays extremely well), shoot me a PM for details.

There is one position open. Bachelor's degree in IT or related field. 7-10 years of experience is preferred, as well as the ability to obtain a security clearance.

Last edited:
:smh: Still trying to get experience, every day that passes, it seems more and more impossible to get into IT

mean.gif
Still trying to get experience, every day that passes, it seems more and more impossible to get into IT
You in school or you graduated already?

There are some entry level PM jobs available but theyre rare. I got one as my first job. Project coordinator is a good option too.

[thread="596982"]Quote:[/thread]
:smh: Still trying to get experience, every day that passes, it seems more and more impossible to get into IT
You in school or you graduated already?

Been out of school since 2010 :lol:

IT Project Management, I just scooped up a few more books on Agile and SDLC while I study for my PMI cert. The knowledge is there, exp is lacking.

look for entry level BA jobs first then move into PM work.

Been looking, been stiffed on every Highmark gig that I was qualified for since they are the only ones who have entry-level BA positions here, only other company is BNY Mellon but that's finance and requirements are crazy.

There are some entry level PM jobs available but theyre rare. I got one as my first job. Project coordinator is a good option too.

Well yea, Project Coordinator is an entry-level PM gig, which is what I'm looking for other than BA positions.

I think I'm just going to take the state civil service test and see what can happen. They have positions but they're BA 2 and up, and you need to have exp under a certain position first to qualify, but they don't have that position open. :stoneface:

IDK, I think I just need to stack my bread and move the family somewhere w/ more opportunities. Hit a few licks and I'm out of here :lol:

But yall keep flourishin out here, I see yall, never stop the grind.

Weird how tough it is to get into PM when you consider how many are incompetent. My next paths i've been looking at IT PM, Sys Engineer or IT Manager. I've ran a lot of projects as a support lead, but I think I peaked in management too early. Hands on, but not like my techs. Would be tough to go looking for another purely technical gig when my skills are much bigger than that at the moment.

Location might be the issue. You getting any call backs for interviews? If not, your resume might need to be updated

Nope, I've been revamping it constantly, adding new skills. Thing is, they probably see the skills, but when they look for the experience and it's not there, probably just ignore or parse it out of the system.

I definitely believe it's location, Pittsburgh is in the bottom of job growth within the state and the state is at the bottom nationally. Another thing could be that I don't have a Master's, everybody here wants a Master's degree plus 3+ yrs exp.

Location might be the issue. You getting any call backs for interviews? If not, your resume might need to be updated

Nope, I've been revamping it constantly, adding new skills. Thing is, they probably see the skills, but when they look for the experience and it's not there, probably just ignore or parse it out of the system.

I definitely believe it's location, Pittsburgh is in the bottom of job growth within the state and the state is at the bottom nationally. Another thing could be that I don't have a Master's, everybody here wants a Master's degree plus 3+ yrs exp.

Probably sit down with a manager or mentor and go through your resume. Did that recently and was amazed at the result. It was really just a conversation on what I actually did, and can do for the company. Things I didn't even think to put on their because I did it well without much real effort. Funny enough as soon as I put the resume out there I was hounded by a recruiter for a Lead Systems Engineer gig, unfortunately the hiring manager already had his choice.

Weird how tough it is to get into PM when you consider how many are incompetent. My next paths i've been looking at IT PM, Sys Engineer or IT Manager. I've ran a lot of projects as a support lead, but I think I peaked in management too early. Hands on, but not like my techs. Would be tough to go looking for another purely technical gig when my skills are much bigger than that at the moment.

What do you do now? I posted before that being a Solution Architect is something Id enjoy doing BUT as BA now I`d have to take steps back to become a Sys Admin then Sys Engineer then an Architect and aint nobody got time for that lol.

I`m just going to ride the BA/PM wave and maybe can end up as a "Business Architect" but most companies use Enterprise/Solution Architects which are more technical.

I think it's because the profession is still in its infancy so companies thought they could just get the guy who has 8+ years exp as an engineer to be the PM. I thought being a PM would obviously require a lot of work and planning, but I'm amazed at how precise it can be at some points. Calculating float, all of the money formulas that need to be used at certain times, etc.

But I will find somebody to talk to and look over my resume and critique it. I'm going to hit up this tech job fair in a couple weeks and have them look at it as well; got some solid pointer the last time I went to one.

I'm a corporate IT support lead. Not sure i'm interested in getting my hands too dirty, would rather just jump to more infrastructure/project related management but starting to realize doing that is pretty rare without some other title. Could keep going the IT support management route, but i'm enough of a punching bag now, not ready for more yet. Gotta pay some more dues I guess, just don't want to get trapped in that support world.

I would definitely say Project Coordinator is a great start. Jr & entry level BA is also good moving towards PM roles.

Best way i've noticed to gain experience and get the necessary exposure is to work short term contracts. Sell yourself on LinkedIn and show up to Networking events, if they host them in your area.

I'm not where I want to be just yet, but i'm moving towards it.

I would definitely say Project Coordinator is a great start. Jr & entry level BA is also good moving towards PM roles.

Best way i've noticed to gain experience and get the necessary exposure is to work short term contracts. Sell yourself on LinkedIn and show up to Networking events, if they host them in your area.

I'm not where I want to be just yet, but i'm moving towards it.
Since you worked as a contractor, maybe you can answer my question. How much more can  contractor expect to earn compared to a regular employee? And did receive health insurance, PTO, or any other benefits?

Since you worked as a contractor, maybe you can answer my question. How much more can  contractor expect to earn compared to a regular employee? And did receive health insurance, PTO, or any other benefits?

Contractors tend to earn more being that tend to not get any benefits, then also there is W2 vs 1099 with 1099 making the most since its like you are your own business and they pay you a straight #.

Contractors tend to earn more being that tend to not get any benefits, then also there is W2 vs 1099 with 1099 making the most since its like you are your own business and they pay you a straight #.
Which one has the advantage in the tax return situation? Ive only filed W2.

Which one has the advantage in the tax return situation? Ive only filed W2.

With 1099 and hiring a CPA you could finess your tax situation. A lot of experienced dudes just start their own "consulting companies" and do only 1099 contract jobs. Of course you dont get vacation and any benefits, but like I said if you get your own accountant they could more than likely finess your Tax situation especially since you would now be able to write off a ton of stuff as "business expenses".

Back
Top Bottom