Information Technology (IT)

what do u do now?

I'm an engineer doing streaming media for a Fortune 500

I've inherited tasks such as desktop support deployments server mangement and administration as well

I've also started to do project mangement as well as beginning infrastructure design and stuff

I know what I do but I want to do something that requires leadership and stuff

Is there any good alternatives to Computer science that doesn't involve as much math?

Looking at calc puts me in a bad mood. Thinking about calc puts me in a bad mood. Doing homework for calc makes me want to space walk with no suit.

Like it's legitly frustrating me.. No matter the programming course, Java or C+ I learn without problems, solve my assignments with little trouble, and do well on the test. Buy this math :smh

This internship I got as a Data Center Tech.. Honestly has me thinking about dropping if I get hired full time. Can't do this math anymore man.
I had this same problem.

I was an A student in all of my programming classes but when it came to the req. math classes I was terrible.

I say just keep working with your teachers and math majors to get by and learn as much as you can.

Anyone want to throw me the assist with this 2D boolean array? Feel like this is one of those simpleton errors that's going to make me feel stupid when I find it.

Can drop the entire program into pastebin if the screenshots are annoying to work with.

Last edited:
I have a question? For entry level IT jobs what are the usual requirements. Do they train you? I am pretty computer savy to say the least however coding is not my strong suit at all. Any advice ?

I have a question? For entry level IT jobs what are the usual requirements. Do they train you? I am pretty computer savy to say the least however coding is not my strong suit at all. Any advice ?
A+ Cert is minimal. Experience is a HUGE plus. 

& of course, knowing someone is always a huge factor.

IT isnt a job its an entire field. What exactly are you trying to do? You dont have to be computer savy to get a job in IT as IT is MUCH more than working with or fixing computers. Find what exactly intrests you then ask that question, for example someone mentioned A+ as minimal when it is literally worthless outside of a entry level help desk role which is a minute spec in the IT field.

Depends on what area you're heading into. For example If you wanna jump into networking with minimal experience, you either have to know someone or have some certs.

IT isnt a job its an entire field. What exactly are you trying to do? You dont have to be computer savy to get a job in IT as IT is MUCH more than working with or fixing computers. Find what exactly intrests you then ask that question, for example someone mentioned A+ as minimal when it is literally worthless outside of a entry level help desk role which is a minute spec in the IT field.
Glad someone finally said it lol.

Hey guys, would it be beneficial to get an AS in computer science/ a computer related field?

I currently work in Healthcare, but I am unhappy with it. Always been a tech guy. :smh:

I am thinking about going back to school to get a degree in Computer Science (want to work in robotics).

My plan:

Get as AS in computer science/tech related (I live in the bay area)
Work a PT job with the AS agree while going to school
Finish degree

Will an AS degree get my foot in the door? What do the job prospects look like?

My degree choices:

http://collegeofsanmateo.edu/cis/degrees.asp

xKc9Fzm.png

Yeah, I'm getting looked at to do Client and Tech support for an app at the moment. I'm feeling really good about it. I'm just trying to plan my next move. I'm thinking an NOC

truth... i got a couple certs last year... took an entry level position got a hook up with my contracting company last month after my contract was up now im working for TWCable in the executive office making good money for a guy with no degree and less than a year IT experience... the contract was suppose to be for clean up with the comcast merger but thats gonna flop and i might get brought on board in a few months.... still working on getting my sec+ and that mobility+ next year... i think i could pass that sec+ test if i take it right now..

truth... i got a couple certs last year... took an entry level position got a hook up with my contracting company last month after my contract was up now im working for TWCable in the executive office making good money for a guy with no degree and less than a year IT experience... the contract was suppose to be for clean up with the comcast merger but thats gonna flop and i might get brought on board in a few months.... still working on getting my sec+ and that mobility+ next year... i think i could pass that sec+ test if i take it right now..

Took it last year with a week of studying and minimal IT experience and passed.

Hey guys, would it be beneficial to get an AS in computer science/ a computer related field?

I currently work in Healthcare, but I am unhappy with it. Always been a tech guy. :smh:

I am thinking about going back to school to get a degree in Computer Science (want to work in robotics).

My plan:

Get as AS in computer science/tech related (I live in the bay area)
Work a PT job with the AS agree while going to school
Finish degree

Will an AS degree get my foot in the door? What do the job prospects look like?

My degree choices:

http://collegeofsanmateo.edu/cis/degrees.asp

xKc9Fzm.png

Do you have a Bachelors in anything already? IMO 2 yr degrees arent competitive at all, this isnt 1998 where nobody has tech experience. IMO If you already have a degree them get a masters in the field you want to transitiom into, if you dont have a bachelors then get one.

Do you have a Bachelors in anything already? IMO 2 yr degrees arent competitive at all, this isnt 1998 where nobody has tech experience. IMO If you already have a degree them get a masters in the field you want to transitiom into, if you dont have a bachelors then get one.

Thanks for the info man. I agree. I do NOT have a 4 year degree.

I would have to agree. If you are thinking about getting an AS you are better off getting certs or pursuing a MS, Try landing an internship while pursuing your MS if possible.

What types of certs? Ill have to comb through this post. Need that 4 year :smh:

Messed up twice on the my A+ exam 802 now, I have wait two weeks to take it. I keep messing up on the scenario based questions. Can anyone direct me to scenario based questions for the 802?

My instructor sucks homoe is just collecting a pay check without a proper lesson plan.

Last edited:
Messed up twice on the my A+ exam 802 now, I have wait two weeks to take it. I keep messing up on the scenario based questions. Can anyone direct me to scenario based questions for the 802?

My instructor sucks homoie is just collecting a pay check with a proper lesson plan.
Two tries and you still cant pass the A+ ? Maybe you just not built for this B.
Not Serious. Just work harder and hopefully you'll get it next time

http://www.examcompass.com/comptia/a-plus-certification/free-a-plus-practice-tests

Last edited:
Have a degree in business, looking to transition into an IT field without the success of finding a job in a business related field. Besides the A+ cert, what other options should I look into that would benefit me into transitioning into the field? Looking to take the QA course on the link below, what do you all think?
http://www.krishnatraining.com/post.php?id=40&pt=7

Last edited:
I took the test 8 years ago, probably two years into my IT career.

The hardware exam had a lot of stuff to memorize. The other exam seemed to be geared toward customer service. I remember taking the mentality that each question was related to being professional and providing great customer service.

Back
Top Bottom