Information Technology (IT)

Did you study for sec + and n+ at the same time?
It kinda overlapped. I took a N+ course at the beginning of year and failed the test. Retook the test 2 weeks later and passed. Started a Sec+ bootcamp 4 days later and took that test this morning. A lot of N+ stuff covered what I needed to know for Sec+ i.e. OSI layer, ports, and select protocols.

It kinda overlapped. I took a N+ course at the beginning of year and failed the test. Retook the test 2 weeks later and passed. Started a Sec+ bootcamp 4 days later and took that test this morning. A lot of N+ stuff covered what I needed to know for Sec+ i.e. OSI layer, ports, and select protocols.
What was the course and boot camp you took?

My credits not great and I have a history of debt (student debt that went into collections and student loans). Being brutally honest here because I dont know anyone here lol so if I was to get into cyber security would I need security clearance for most jobs? I keep reading mixed things online. I don't want to even look at that field if thats true. Still looking at my options.

My credits not great and I have a history of debt (student debt that went into collections and student loans). Being brutally honest here because I dont know anyone here lol so if I was to get into cyber security would I need security clearance for most jobs? I keep reading mixed things online. I don't want to even look at that field if thats true. Still looking at my options.

Depending on who you’re working for and the industry - I know for the transit and non profit industry; no.

I know plenty of people with huge student loan debts and they were able to obtain a TS/SCI. I could be wrong but I believe student loans are viewed differently. Also I remember the investigator asking me about some of my debt and I was completely honest and told him that I was not planning on paying T-Mobile back :lol:

Only time i've had credit come into play was a federal CU, they had a stricter clearance process and you couldn't have any current credit blemishes.

Any one here has there CCNA or AWS certs? I'm having a hard time with studying for my CCNA, I'm trying to learn it on my own but it's like I'm not retaining the information. Someone recommended that I take a look at the AWS certs, said it maybe be more interesting to me. Anyone with some insight please chime in.

Any one here has there CCNA or AWS certs? I'm having a hard time with studying for my CCNA, I'm trying to learn it on my own but it's like I'm not retaining the information. Someone recommended that I take a look at the AWS certs, said it maybe be more interesting to me. Anyone with some insight please chime in.
I’m not sure how much it’s changing but I believe there is a new CCNA test going into effect after Feb. 24. I don’t think you can even take the old exam anymore unless you already bought a voucher. My unit is sending myself and a few others to a 2 week CCNA course in June. They figure the instructors will have had a decent amount of time to learn the new material and take a few of the exams to get a feel for it.

Has anybody read about the controversy that’s going on with CompTIA , the right to repair and all that?

got my ccna, taking ccna sec friday b4 the new ones come out lmao, NO DO CCNA 1ST THEN AWS...cloud is just an abstraction of wired networking...i've worked in aws for 5 years no certs but my ccna is the knowledge that made it all easy to understand, also aws is cloud platform so u need to networking, sdlc, serverless apps, containerization, security/iam(rbac) and a whole lot more, standing up an ec2 linux box is useful but I would focus on ccna, if its too hard do network+ 1st, I did: (a lot of this is basically sequential knowledge anyways), once u understand subnetting like the back of ur hand everything gets easier and you can focus on the routing/switching concepts easier. I use/am using CBT Nuggets, INE.com, Pearson Vue, Pluralsight, Boson Netsim & Boson Ex-Sim Max and just YT videos and reddit and good ol google searching...use multiple sources, diff ppl can explain certain topics better for you
A+
Net+
Sec+
Linux+
CCNA
LPIC1 & 2
SUSE

got my ccna, taking ccna sec friday b4 the new ones come out lmao, NO DO CCNA 1ST THEN AWS...cloud is just an abstraction of wired networking...i've worked in aws for 5 years no certs but my ccna is the knowledge that made it all easy to understand, also aws is cloud platform so u need to networking, sdlc, serverless apps, containerization, security/iam(rbac) and a whole lot more, standing up an ec2 linux box is useful but I would focus on ccna, if its too hard do network+ 1st, I did: (a lot of this is basically sequential knowledge anyways), once u understand subnetting like the back of ur hand everything gets easier and you can focus on the routing/switching concepts easier. I use/am using CBT Nuggets, INE.com, Pearson Vue, Pluralsight, Boson Netsim & Boson Ex-Sim Max and just YT videos and reddit and good ol google searching...use multiple sources, diff ppl can explain certain topics better for you
A+
Net+
Sec+
Linux+
CCNA
LPIC1 & 2
SUSE
Hey, thanks for the well drawn out explanation!! I'm a try that network+ route first, then work my way to the CCNA. So that list you put, is that all the certs you have in order?

I know CCNA test is changing but anybody have any tips or study materials I can check out before my class in June? I’d rather get a head start now if I can.

I know CCNA test is changing but anybody have any tips or study materials I can check out before my class in June? I’d rather get a head start now if I can.
just start anywhere on YT, search things such as "ccna course" "200-125" new ones dropping soon but doesn't matter just dive on in

Just obtained my TS clearance and now I'm waiting for my SCI as well. I'll probably do work overseas for 2 years then come back and go somewhere that will take my clearance.

I still need to get my certs though (sec+ mainly)

I remember taking courses and self-study for MCSE, A+ back then. What a waste of time and money IMO. Working experience is still a must. Those certs then become a plus once you have enough experience.

Passed AWS Solutions Architect Associate a few weeks ago. Used linuxacademy.com, all-in-one exam study guide, and Udemy practice test from Jon Bonso.

What is the controversy? Is this related to A+?
Right to repair laws are legislation that advocate for the consumer to be able to repair their own devices instead of having to go straight to the manufacturer or their authorized agents which are really expensive. Advocates of the legislation feel that manufacturers should provide access to the parts and service information needed to repair modern gadgets . CompTIA is against this. With CompTIA being a major avenue in which people become technicians, you'd think they be in support of such legislation. But they aren't. They're actively lobbying against this type of legislation. This would affect computer technicians as well as the wallets of people who want to get their devices fixed in a cost effective manner

Well, DIY versus certified repairman wouldn’t be I’m their interests.

I think I have an A+ (in name only lol). I got the very back in 2007.

But it’s like Cisco probably backs a lot of networking initiatives but only if it’s going to pad it’s bottom line. EIGRP still not completely open source. They want it as a competitive edge.

I’m curious. Does the new A+ cover mobile computing device repair?

Back
Top Bottom