Information Technology (IT)

I tried to get my masters in informatics online. Flamed out hard, somehow still got like a 3.0 gpa, owe 15k for like 3 semesters. Learned nothing. My own fault tho
I'm a healthcare worker, I'm planning on going into healthcare informatics. Trying to see if there's something that would help me in the future, like picking up SQL or something of the sorts thats beneficial in healthcare.
Was it the program that contributed to you flaming out or other reasons?

As a healthcare working, looking to get their masters in informatics...any areas that I should look to specialize in or focus on? I know it's pretty broad question and healthcare is always changing. I'm looking to find a lane that I can step into. I work in ICU so I've worked with various medical devices. I don't know how to code but I wouldn't mind learning the basics. Cyber security has caught my interest but not sure where to start really

Finished an ITF+ class on udemy today. Anyone know where I could find some good practice tests? The class I took was alright, I wanna take some practice tests and see if I wanna sign up for another class
There’s some like 10 question ones that I did good at but I want to take a real one

Finally started making moves towards a career change to IT. Hopefully will pass the test by this weekend and then move onto studying for the A+ next week

Last edited:
As a healthcare working, looking to get their masters in informatics...any areas that I should look to specialize in or focus on? I know it's pretty broad question and healthcare is always changing. I'm looking to find a lane that I can step into. I work in ICU so I've worked with various medical devices. I don't know how to code but I wouldn't mind learning the basics. Cyber security has caught my interest but not sure where to start really
It's difficult to say because you mention cyber security, but then you're also looking into going after your Masters's in health informatics. I would say identify what is exactly it is that you'd like to do before you go get a Masters in Informatics and then end up not using it.

Networking, Cyber Sec, Programming and Sysadmin skills are applicable not just in a health care setting, but almost every other sector. Masters won't really prove that you know networking fundamentals and cyber security fundamentals. If that is the route you'd like to go, I would advise you to look into getting your Net+, Sec+, and CCNA

If you want to code, then look into coding. Check out some coding tutorials on youtube (I recommend Java New Boston) and see if this is something you can stomach doing on a day to day. Practice some tutorials and work on some of the projects he has on there. Once you feel comfortable, I would look into a coding boot camp. I recommend doing all of this cause I've seen a bunch of people waste time and money pursuing coding via a boot camp and end up failing out losing time and money. They were more so fixated on the big salaries and the few months turn around. I also notice some watch those "life as a programmer" vids on youtube and think it's all chill not realizing how it works.

If working in health care, analyzing and utilizing data is what you want to do, then do your master's in informatics. Look into learning SQL (they will probably touch on this and programming in some of your classes, but probably not enough where you're well versed). I would also look into possibly grabbing some form of management/understanding of processes and procedures cert to pair with the degree as this can help you move up the ladder quickly if you're looking into management.

Last edited:
It's difficult to say because you mention cyber security, but then you're also looking into going after your Masters's in health informatics. I would say identify what is exactly it is that you'd like to do before you go get a Masters in Informatics and then end up not using it.

Networking, Cyber Sec, Programming and Sysadmin skills are applicable not just in a health care setting, but almost every other sector. Masters won't really prove that you know networking fundamentals and cyber security fundamentals. If that is the route you'd like to go, I would advise you to look into getting your Net+, Sec+, and CCNA

If you want to code, then look into coding. Check out some coding tutorials on youtube (I recommend Java New Boston) and see if this is something you can stomach doing on a day to day. Practice some tutorials and work on some of the projects he has on there. Once you feel comfortable, I would look into a coding boot camp. I recommend doing all of this cause I've seen a bunch of people waste time and money pursuing coding via a boot camp and end up failing out losing time and money. They were more so fixated on the big salaries and the few months turn around. I also notice some watch those "life as a programmer" vids on youtube and think it's all chill not realizing how it works.

If working in health care, analyzing and utilizing data is what you want to do, then do your master's in informatics. Look into learning SQL (they will probably touch on this and programming in some of your classes, but probably not enough where you're well versed). I would also look into possibly grabbing some form of management/understanding of processes and procedures cert to pair with the degree as this can help you move up the ladder quickly if you're looking into management.
Thanks for the info. I only brought up those because for the health infomatics coursework, a lot of programs touch on cyber security and some touch on SQL. Granted they touch on the surface. Infomatics is def something I want to do and a degree I plan on using but I eventually would like to add something else to my skillset. Figured I could piggyback off of an area or two that gets touched on in my future program

Thanks for the info. I only brought up those because for the health infomatics coursework, a lot of programs touch on cyber security and some touch on SQL. Granted they touch on the surface. Infomatics is def something I want to do and a degree I plan on using but I eventually would like to add something else to my skillset. Figured I could piggyback off of an area or two that gets touched on in my future program
I would learn those other items too then if you know you'd like to do some other area of IT/Tech.

I would learn those other items too then if you know you'd like to do some other area of IT/Tech.

I like the tip you gave about using youtube to get an idea of the day to day and if this is something I would like. I think the camp turnaround time and better salaries are great but I also feel like my intelligence is wasted here and I think I have the brain power and discipline to do it when the outcome is worth it. I'm just not trying to waste anymore time as I have a Masters and am considering changing careers.

Any others you'd recommend (doesnt have to be YT)?

So I am studying for my Sec+, currently using Udemy. Another great resource is Humble Bundle. They have a great eBook Cybersecurity sale going on right now. Great resources!
Here is the link:

I like the tip you gave about using youtube to get an idea of the day to day and if this is something I would like. I think the camp turnaround time and better salaries are great but I also feel like my intelligence is wasted here and I think I have the brain power and discipline to do it when the outcome is worth it. I'm just not trying to waste anymore time as I have a Masters and am considering changing careers.

Any others you'd recommend (doesnt have to be YT)?
Udemy is good as well. Courses are cheap. There are other subscription based sites, but their pricey and I don't want you to waste your time signing up if you're not gonna use it long term. But if you decide it's the way to go, check out plural sight and//or CNT nuggets.

KanyIZZY KanyIZZY mastamind89 mastamind89

Stumbled upon this. They are offering 30 hours' worth of free classes so that you can determine whether you're into programming or not. You don't have to enroll in the class, but still take the free 30 hours.

I’ve come across that post before. I guess it depends on where you’re at in your career. If I’m making $120k+ I’m content with that and not complaining to anyone. But then again I’m a lazy dude so this would be a dream :lol:
I’m in gov’t contracting and I deal with this currently on my project. Granted I don’t make 100k (yet) this is somewhat common doing IT in gov’t contracting. The work/life balance is top tier

I went to a bootcamp. Didnt know how to code at all beforehand. Took a year and some change to get a job because of the pandemic but im a front end developer now, $90k. Will most likely reach six figures this year. I have roughly 6-7 months of experience and get hounded by recruiters daily.
Congrats on your hard work bro!

got an interview coming up and I really want to make an impression for this jr. system admin role

what are some questions yall like to ask the interviewers?

so far i been using these 2:

1. what would my day to day look like if I offered this position?

2. how has your experience been with the company?

I’m about to do a course on automation selenium and some manual testing

I hope I can stay focused and dedicated … this stuff requires a lot of attention and self learning b

My job is pushing me towards becoming a Servicenow Developer. I don’t have dev experience, know some scripting in Java. Anyone here familiar with SNOW development? I know it uses JavaScript. Just seeing what strategy I should use to learn best, in terms of order of courses.

got an interview coming up and I really want to make an impression for this jr. system admin role

I usually ask what would be one of the immediate expectations of this position?

Are there opportunities for growth and advancement?
How big is the team?
Day to day/how many tickets daily/weekly/monthly (whichever they can provide)?
Fully onsite or options for telework?
What are the hours of operation? Is there after hours support, will I be apart of after hours support?
Ask questions that pull from the description or what they bring up (what xyz software do you use?)

Thanks man. I almost gave up during those initial months of the pandemic. But i couldnt get over spending that bread on the bootcamp and not getting anything out of it.
Good stuff. How hard is it to get faang interviews? Are you being approached by them, since you have experience?

Good stuff. How hard is it to get faang interviews? Are you being approached by them, since you have experience?
Ive had some recruiters from Google and AWS contact me a couple times. Im personally not interested in FAANG at the moment though.

Back
Top Bottom