Information Technology (IT)

Found out why the job offer from a company called Metronome from about 3-4 weeks ago fell through. Turns out the lady that called me mispoke, and it's not remote, it's "remote until covid," the one that would also upgrade me to TS-SCI. It's physically out of Charleston, SC. Of course, I could lie and say "yea I'll move whenever yall get ready for me to," and just get the job and clearance upgrade then don't, but that's kind of a **** move. Also, one of the clients is the Navy and I know they're just like the Marines in that they tend to have tons of old, non connected or networked in a classroom but the classroom not out to the internet, I.T assets for teaching; like an old Pentium Windows XP laptop that they just connect to the projector to teach how to operate the boat or whatever.

And that being the case, they'd probably be wanting me to relocate sooner than later. But the fact another person from the same company called me about the same job this week is encouraging since it means they havent found anyone who was willing thus far, so I am kind of hoping they end up having to settle and making it a fully remote role and offering it to me.

Tell then I'm running through our environment with these POAM/Vuln scans and updating our VMs accordingly and not mad at it
Spawar ?

Finding it hard to find a junior sys admin job so I think I may have to thug it out in the help desk for a little while longer. I got a phone call for a help desk analyst gig. Should be about 10 minutes. How far into the call or into my questioning should I ask about salary?
When I get emails about positions, my first two questions are “what is the salary range for this position and will this position be onsite/telework/ both?”

On calls I want to say after they tell me the job description is when I start asking the general questions.

When I get emails about positions, my first two questions are “what is the salary range for this position and will this position be onsite/telework/ both?”

On calls I want to say after they tell me the job description is when I start asking the general questions.
Damn I should’ve led off with salary talks to potentially avoid wasting our time.

Damn I should’ve led off with salary talks to potentially avoid wasting our time.
Yeah I try to always lead off with salary talk because they will waste your time for a 50k senior desktop support role requiring TS/SCI and the big 3 comptia certs

Finding it hard to find a junior sys admin job so I think I may have to thug it out in the help desk for a little while longer. I got a phone call for a help desk analyst gig. Should be about 10 minutes. How far into the call or into my questioning should I ask about salary?
I find out the salary IMMEDIATELY. They tell me they have a job, cool what's the salary. I don't want to hear the title or job description because all that is irrelevant if the money isn't right. It's always funny when they try and turn the conversation back on me. What are you looking for? No what is the salary range, I always let it be known I'm in the driving seat. They called me, even if I applied to them. I'm still in the driving seat because they called me over the other candidates that applied.
Company was called Metronome. Client was DOD (Navy)
Good chance it is SPAWAR then, I know SPAWAR is in San Diego and Newport News.

I find out the salary IMMEDIATELY. They tell me they have a job, cool what's the salary. I don't want to hear the title or job description because all that is irrelevant if the money isn't right. It's always funny when they try and turn the conversation back on me. What are you looking for? No what is the salary range, I always let it be known I'm in the driving seat. They called me, even if I applied to them. I'm still in the driving seat because they called me over the other candidates that applied.

Good chance it is SPAWAR then, I know SPAWAR is in San Diego and Newport News.
The phone call is tomorrow. You think I should reach out now and ask the salary? He’s recruiting through LinkedIn and he reached out to me.

I remember once I knew the inside scoop on a pay range for a job and asked for that range but I told her my current pay earlier and she said they couldn't do that because it was too much of an increase to my current role. A completely different organization and sector, never made sense. I never share current salary now, they don't like it, sorry.

I remember once I knew the inside scoop on a pay range for a job and asked for that range but I told her my current pay earlier and she said they couldn't do that because it was too much of an increase to my current role. A completely different organization and sector, never made sense. I never share current salary now, they don't like it, sorry.
Or give them a false salary that's close to what you want.

When I was trying to finally get past 50k I would say I made 55 when I really was only making 45-48k.

Thanks for the tips. Help Desk Analyst range isn’t much here. 50K is my minimum right now.

Can you live on 50k in LA? I get some fully remote stuff sometimes that's higher I can hit you with. I still dont know who or what SPAWARS is but if yall got the hookup, tell them holla at your boy and let me wfh.

Can you live on 50k in LA? I get some fully remote stuff sometimes that's higher I can hit you with. I still dont know who or what SPAWARS is but if yall got the hookup, tell them holla at your boy and let me wfh.
Definitely can. 50k is a step up from what I'm making now believe it or not. They severely underpay us here.

I'll only be doing this new gig for about a year and looking for something else. I lack experience which is why it's difficult to find something .

Turned down a Jr system admin role in Boston...

I regret it now smh. It's hard out here finding a new position
What's the hard part for you? Finding something salary wise or just the ideal type job you want to do?

What's the hard part for you? Finding something salary wise or just the ideal type job you want to do?

Ideal job. i really just want to be at least 1up above a help desk/call center IT role.

the boston position was perfect except I would have to move to Boston which i wasnt really feeling.

Ideal job. i really just want to be at least 1up above a help desk/call center IT role.

the boston position was perfect except I would have to move to Boston which i wasnt really feeling.
Seems like Junior Sys Admin positions are a little hard to come by. Same way out here for me.

LA.

This position is tier 1 and tier 2 help desk work.
Not sure what it is like in LA but if you can find a msp that is hiring and try sticking it out there like 2 years. In my experience its a ****ty environment but I gained alot of experience.
Was able to jump from 55k to 95k when I switched jobs.

Not sure what it is like in LA but if you can find a msp that is hiring and try sticking it out there like 2 years. In my experience its a ****ty environment but I gained alot of experience.
Was able to jump from 55k to 95k when I switched jobs.
I applied to a MSP recruiting agency that has a lot of openings. They haven’t gotten back to me yet.

Fixing up my LinkedIn seems to have worked a little.

Didn't focus on it much before this week and never had anyone reach out. Fixed it up Wednesday, added a better picture and my current position, and I've had three recruiters reach out to me ever since.

Had a phone call so far today and expecting one later. One position is help desk for $30 an hour, the other two I'm waiting back to hear about the salary. One position is a contract for Spotify. I like the idea of having a name like Spotify on my resume.

Last edited:
I am actually shocked to know you could live off 50k in LA. I thought you needed much more. Man I remember them days making 50k. About 800 every 2 months right.

I am actually shocked to know you could live off 50k in LA. I thought you needed much more. Man I remember them days making 50k. About 800 every 2 months right.
Depends on your standard of living. You can still find spots out here for $1200-$1400. People have roomates and so forth.

To live comfortable though, I would say 60k is the minimum.

Back
Top Bottom