Information Technology (IT)

Is it normal for tech jobs to want to make sure you are at home when working remotely?

Always thought this wasn't a big deal and that a fair amount of tech folks worked remotely and travel when/if they wanted to. If your work gets done..who cares where you sign in from? But I don't actually know the norms so I'm curious.

Is it normal for tech jobs to want to make sure you are at home when working remotely?

Always thought this wasn't a big deal and that a fair amount of tech folks worked remotely and travel when/if they wanted to. If your work gets done..who cares where you sign in from? But I don't actually know the norms so I'm curious.
Theres some horror stories out there of then remotely turning on peoples cameras or listening to their mocs or other nonsense to determine if they are actually in front of their computer the whole time. My bm#2 works remote for help desk and they had to keep their cameras on the whole 8 hours during training the first week

But most of the time if you can connect to the internrt you can then vpn tunnel into your work network i dont see why they’d care where you are. But illegally backdooring into your work laptop, which you shouldnt be able to anyways your network or sys admin guy needs work, would be a separate issue of security in itself

Also i was todY years old when i learned these existed. game changers for those of us who wfh

Amazon product ASIN B0BFHCRPJS

It's less about working from home and more about compliance. For example, I know lawyers who work remote are legally not allowed to open confidential documents outside of the country they are assigned to.

My brother works in IT and his client is a big bank, again, he's not allowed to open confidential documents or proprietary software outside of the designated country there's a legal issue there.

It's less about working from home and more about staying in the country.

Another scenario is if someone is on call and they would need to have an in-person meeting at the office. This is less of a legal issue and more of a company culture thing. If you didn't tell anyone you are out of the country, you can get in trouble, but depending on your boss, you might tell him in advance and there will be no issues.

Depends on the company.

Theres a good amount of fed jobs/contractors where you cant take your laptop overseas to certain countries for security reasons.

Based on replies, I’d say it seems like it depends on the employer and compliance. After that, they likely don’t care and is mostly applied to being in the country vs someone visiting another state. That’s fair.. I can see the irritation in being home all the time and wanting to travel internationally but for the compliance and security reasons, I don’t think I could ever be mad at that.

One of my drives to going into this field is having more family time as I just got married and I’m thinking more seriously about how I spend time as my responsibilities increase. So I think I’d be a lot more turned off if wfh somehow becomes off limits. I appreciate all the feedback though.

I’m going to try to do that free course ICE CITY CF ICE CITY CF suggested. Seems like a solid suggestion and alt to thousands on a bootcamp.

You think so? It might be too advanced for me, I haven’t done any subnetting or anything yet, just basic network stuff from the a+

You need to know subnetting for the net+ so for that it doesn’t matter.

But the CCNA is a far more prestigious than net+.

You don’t learn how to do anything with net+.

You learn about vlans but you don’t know how to configure them. You learn about routing tables but you can’t interpret them.

The CCNA teaches you network fundamentals + how to actually configure Cisco switches and routers.

Jeremey IT Lab teaches you the fundamentals with his course. It’s what I used to get my CCNA. I got my A+ and Sec+ and skipped Net+. I had zero networking experience prior as well.

Based on replies, I’d say it seems like it depends on the employer and compliance. After that, they likely don’t care and is mostly applied to being in the country vs someone visiting another state. That’s fair.. I can see the irritation in being home all the time and wanting to travel internationally but for the compliance and security reasons, I don’t think I could ever be mad at that.

One of my drives to going into this field is having more family time as I just got married and I’m thinking more seriously about how I spend time as my responsibilities increase. So I think I’d be a lot more turned off if wfh somehow becomes off limits. I appreciate all the feedback though.

I’m going to try to do that free course ICE CITY CF ICE CITY CF suggested. Seems like a solid suggestion and alt to thousands on a bootcamp.

Congrats on the marriage man! And it’s good that you’re prioritizing family time now. Not everyone thinks that way until they reach burn out.

If you will choose a job in this field, make sure your employment agreement explicitly mentions working arrangements. A company can change its policy overnight and say that everyone will work in the office. If your employment agreement doesn’t mention remote work, then you will be legally obliged to work at the office and they can fire you for refusing to go to the office.

You need to know subnetting for the net+ so for that it doesn’t matter.

But the CCNA is a far more prestigious than net+.

You don’t learn how to do anything with net+.

You learn about vlans but you don’t know how to configure them. You learn about routing tables but you can’t interpret them.

The CCNA teaches you network fundamentals + how to actually configure Cisco switches and routers.

Jeremey IT Lab teaches you the fundamentals with his course. It’s what I used to get my CCNA. I got my A+ and Sec+ and skipped Net+. I had zero networking experience prior as well.
Nah..get CCNA or anything cisco related. You'll thank yourself later if you do

Thanks yall
I already purchased my study materials for the net+ so I think I’m gonna finish those then move onto the CCNA material without taking the net+ exam

Yeah I’m traveling internationally. I’m lookin at a workaround for wireshark/ monitoring software now lmao. Vpn server at my home will be setup for me to use a particular ip/ set of ips.

Yeah word. I’m gonna travel regardless. I thought instead of saying adios I should atleast try and worst case get fired. But no point in trying if I’m not gonna put in the actual effort. So I’m looking at the best solution I can use, even if it won’t work. I’m just looking at the next step now, of what I can maybe do to bypass the monitoring, or make an excuse for it, since even setting up a vpn server will show that I’m using a vpn to connect to their network in the monitoring software.

Last edited:
im struggling watching Messer’s videos and Mike Meyers videos. What can I purchase to get hands on experience. Like set up a home network? What would something like this cost?

Yeah word. I’m gonna travel regardless. I thought instead of saying adios I should atleast try and worst case get fired. But no point in trying if I’m not gonna put in the actual effort. So I’m looking at the best solution I can use, even if it won’t work. I’m just looking at the next step now, of what I can maybe do to bypass the monitoring, or make an excuse for it, since even setting up a vpn server will show that I’m using a vpn to connect to their network in the monitoring software.
Not sure how you connect to your work environment on the company laptop but honestly they probably wont even notice

Not sure how you connect to your work environment on the company laptop but honestly they probably wont even notice
Im debating on letting my company know that I’ll be using a vpn router at home for my own security reasons, and then connecting to their network, to bypass suspicion. Or to just set everything up and then see what’s happens lol. With the test trial being from home, just with the vpn server setup.

Thanks yall
I already purchased my study materials for the net+ so I think I’m gonna finish those then move onto the CCNA material without taking the net+ exam

I’m in the same boat as you cs02132 cs02132
I got my A+ last month & purchased study material for Network+ before seeing this recommendation.

I will be going for security+ and CCNA next. Best of luck and thank you all for the info :pimp:

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 11.01.15 PM.png

few more positions opened up for my company if anyone is interested. I can refer you which will at the very least get you an interview.

if youre looking to learn and grow this is it. over 35% of my company holds a CCIE (which is unheard of).

4.3/5 on glassdoor. We did just recently merge with another company though so im not sure how much is going to change.

Back
Top Bottom