Is a college degree needed to ensure survival in today's society?

two zero five

Banned
Are you bound to struggle your entire adult life if you don't have a college degree? Without a degree, how is one able to properly support themselves?

Discuss. :nerd:

the value of a college degree is what companies will think when seeing that piece of paper that you're holding 

all the actual knowledge from college can be obtained for free if you know where to look.

Last edited:
Needed? Sort of a silly question. Plenty of people don't have degrees and are doing fine.

It's subjective.

Some people are born into a big family, they always had a network to rely on. They can work the family business or use their connections to secure a position that they wouldn't have otherwise been able to secure without a degree.

Hell, nowadays even with a degree and stellar qualifications you won't win out over certain individuals who are well connected, even if the latter individual is far less qualified.

Nepotism and cronyism are alive and well.

But that's not to say that everyone who doesn't have a degree and isn't well connected can't thrive.

Even those who don't have a degree and aren't well connected can find success if they work hard early in life. It's funny but I see entry-level positions needing individuals with 1-3 years of experience to qualify for the position. Like WTF? How the hell is a entry level position going to ask for prior experience? Sometimes people who got into a field right out of high school and got that experience early on fare better.

So a degree is not a guarantee, it's more of a gamble really. Certain degrees are definitely more valuable than others (STEM majors, I see ya). A lot of young people jump into a major without looking at the bigger picture. They fail to as questions like, how is this field going to grow in the next 20 years?

At the end of the day it's what you make it. If you don't have a degree are you willing to work long & hard before you can secure your dream position? Likewise if you have a degree are you willing to do everything it takes to justify that investment?

Completely subjective. There is no easy answer.

Last edited:
nawh u dont eem need it nowadays plehboi. It's good to have but if you work hard and play to your strengths, you will be successful :pimp:

Is college important? Yes, but maybe not for the reasons that most would think of. I need to preface my comments with this…Life-long learning is the most important.
Below are just a couple reasons why I believe that college is important:

1. EXPERIENCE. The experience of college is the learning experience of independence, responsibility and life.

2. HOW TO LEARN. It isn’t as important to what you learn, or what you study in college. What you get out of going to college is a process on how to learn.

3. DEGREE. Yes, some professions require that you have a degree or a certificate that proves that you have been exposed to some level of study and achieved some level of proficiency in a particular subject

4. MEANING & PURPOSE. Through the activities that you do while in college with friendships that you develop will define who you are and what you will become in life.

5. SENTIMENT. Your college life will give you powerful stories to share throughout your life and give you feelings of pride, happiness, regret, and even sadness that you can share with people that will come into your life in the future.

There are so many reasons why college is important. Everyone will tell you to study hard, learn the subject matter well so that you can get a good job and make higher wages; and this is all true and great advice. But, I say go to college for you, your future, your life. Enjoy the EXPERIENCE and don’t waste the opportunity to learn a life lesson.

Last edited:
Network trumps all.

All about who you know, but college makes networking easier amongst peers and those experienced in your field.

If you cant figure out what you are good at on your own then college is needed to survive 

If you cant figure out what you are good at on your own then college is needed to survive 

:lol: False.

Unless you're going into business or something you're going to need a degree.

No kid ever became a doctor because he was good at dissecting ****.

Most (hell nearly all) "professional" fields (law, medicine, engineering) require a degree. There's no workaround.

It's subjective.

Hell, nowadays even with a degree and stellar qualifications you won't win out over certain individuals who are well connected, even if the latter individual is far less qualified.

Nepotism and cronyism are alive and well.

r.
Agrees with everything he said.

What I posted is key though.

I can tell you from first hand experience, people in high places only help people they know trust to get into Valued Jobs.
Or things that add value to your life period.

This whole thing of if you work hard you will be rewarded is garbage and false and it's feed to us by people who don't know better and corporations who get richer of of the needy and share the benefits with friends and family.

Just dangle that carrot above your head and watch you race for it.

Back
Top Bottom