Is an iPod touch too much for a 3 year old girl?

I don't think so. I'm planning on buyin my daughter a tablet for her 4th bday. She plays w/ mine and my and I's phones a lot so she knows how to use it. There are a lot of games on there that she likes that teaches her. She can have all her favorite music and movies on it as well for trips in the car.

I say go for it.

Originally Posted by bjamez20

a lot of people are going to say its too much, but i think you should get your kid as comfortable with technology as possible as early as possible. just set boundaries and limits so they don't get a sense of entitlement.
laugh.gif
 You say it as if it is giving the child a foundation in math and not wanting her to fall behind as she gets older. An IPOD has a 30 min learning curve. If she doesn't get it now and she gets it at 7 she will not be behind.
It is too much. She is 3. She doesn't need a damn IPOD to have to be responsible for. She is 3. She is 3. She is 3.

Why can't she just use yours? Why does she need her own IPOD?

So I will just throw this out there. I know someone who bought their 3 yr old an iPad. Now before you freak out when I sit w/ my 19 month old son and I have my iPad he flips the pages and knows where his "mons" app is (Sesame Street Monster at the end of the book). He taps it and watches it all the way through and starts over.

I think there is so much that they can learn w/ all the learning apps. It is not that they will be so far behind w/ the tech but they will be that much more ahead w/ intelligence.

W/ that said I know that the iPad for a 3 yr old is a little OD, but I definitely think that an iPod for a 3 yr old is within reason.

iPod touch?  might as well get her a Gameboy with the green screen if you're gonna be that cheap.  You're kid deserves better at least get a MacBook pro. and no screen size less than "15.

i think its a bit much...

people talk about adjusting to technology as if we didn't catch on quick...

her generation is growing up w/this stuff from day 1 i doubt she'll be behind
laugh.gif

if you do i say limit her time on it...

i wonder if those educational games mess kids up when they get to school tho...do they have a problem just sitting and learning cuz theyre so used to everything being a fun game?

i think its a bit much...

laugh.gif

if you do i say limit her time on it...

i wonder if those educational games mess kids up when they get to school tho...do they have a problem just sitting and learning cuz theyre so used to everything being a fun game?

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

laugh.gif
Right. 
I just don't see how you can trust a 3 year old with a hundred+ dollar device. Agian, just let her use yours. What is the harm in that? Honest question. Because she can't call it her own? I can't see any reason other than that.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

laugh.gif
Right. 
I just don't see how you can trust a 3 year old with a hundred+ dollar device. Agian, just let her use yours. What is the harm in that? Honest question. Because she can't call it her own? I can't see any reason other than that.

Because shes using his iphone.
She could accidentally make calls. He could receive a dirty text while shes using it. He might have pics/vids that would be inappropriate for her.

OP, if its within your budget and shes disciplined (as disciplined as a 3 yr old can be) I dont see the harm.

The most disciplined 3 year old shouldn't be trusted with a multi-hundred dollar device.

And I don't care if you have money to blow, it is asking for trouble. Her sticky juice fingers would probably be the first sin she commits and it will go downhill from there.

I see your point Diego about him allowing her to use his IPOD but I don't view her having access to an IPOD as a necessary entertainment device. Give her the damn TV, she will be fine.

If its available then let her use it.....

but if your going out of your way to buy it then no. If you have enough money then buy it but KNOW that it will break.

My 3 year old uses my TouchPad to play angry birds but thats cause Ive been having it. There is already some wear and tear on the touchpad but I don't even use it

basically whatever is more convenient for you..... 3 year olds are 3 years old. Crayons have a similar effect 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

by 4 or 5 shes gonna be on twitter and fb like this
And by 10 she is going to be in the bathroom taking pictures of herself and sending it to someone.
Don't feed the monster.

a lot of people are going to say its too much, but i think you should get your kid as comfortable with technology as possible as early as possible. just set boundaries and limits so they don't get a sense of entitlement.

this guy knows.

I truly think she will learn from it.  Even if she plays nothing but games, it will make her think about strategy.

Originally Posted by E3LAL

this guy knows.

I truly think she will learn from it.  Even if she plays nothing but games, it will make her think about strategy.
And she needs a tablet for that?
What about board games and reading? Can she learn from that? Strategy? 

Originally Posted by E3LAL

this guy knows.

And she needs a tablet for that?
What about board games and reading? Can she learn from that? Strategy? 
I mean it makes no sense to let a 3 year old actually hold a book and do puzzles/games of a tactile nature. 

But seriously...she shouldn't have her own, but using YOURS every now and then is fine. 

Honestly, it seems like an electronic baby-sitter to me.  Child crying/whining...give them the iPod Touch.  It goes on and on. 

I just don't agree with it at all. 

Don't do it, reconsider! I wouldn't do it.

1. she is bound to lose it, break it, drop it in the toilet or something like that.

2. I don't think those things are good for your eyes, especially at that young age.

3. She can learn from other things

Just let her use your iphone but turn off the phone functions and disconnect from the internet.

Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not. There aren't other ways to build a kid's mind other than giving them a tablet? He mentioned reading, at the age of 3 of course someone would be reading to them.
What about educational programming on the tube?

Games? There are endless games that kids can play that aren't through a tablet.

I am with you though, it seems like an easy way to baby-sit. Which I can understand. But lets not act like "learning" is the #1 reason for giving it to her.

Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not. There aren't other ways to build a kid's mind other than giving them a tablet? He mentioned reading, at the age of 3 of course someone would be reading to them.
What about educational programming on the tube?

Games? There are endless games that kids can play that aren't through a tablet.

I am with you though, it seems like an easy way to baby-sit. Which I can understand. But lets not act like "learning" is the #1 reason for giving it to her.

I was being sarcastic...giving a 3 year old an iPod makes no sense (to me). 

and I think the part I bolded, rings true. 

DC you try tooooo hard. 
she can read,play with friends, learn ABCs AND have a tablet.  it could be for fun and education. it doesnt have to be either or.

whats diff at having it at 3 or 7 ? none. 

My sister got one for her 7th birthday. I'm much older so I've only been home once since  she's got it. She has her own games music etc. I don

The good:

Me and my older sister are grown up and live 3-4 hours away and are only home every few months. We can facetime her to stay in touch (although she never picks up 
mad.gif
).
Just like a dvd player in the car its something she can entertain herself with and give everyone a break

The bad:
I think she is on it alot

But in being around her growing up and being in my late 20s at that time I can tell you there is no way I would give one to a 3-5 (at least) year old. They just are not responsible enough yet and don't need their own.

Originally Posted by roc4life24

DC you try tooooo hard. 
she can read,play with friends, learn ABCs AND have a tablet.  it could be for fun and education. it doesnt have to be either or.

What is the difference? Easy, one age is older and can better take care of valuables.
Not sure how I am trying to hard to explain why a 3 year old shouldn't be responsible for a multi-hundred dollar item.

Common sense to me.

Electronics bring out the zombie nature in humans. They are cool but why give it to her so early? She will get it down the road. No need to accelerate the zombie process.

Originally Posted by DeeeK

My son is currently 9 months old. At the moment, he's not allowed to watch tv, not even background noise. He won't be allowed to play video games until he's much, much older, and he's definitely not receiving a mobile device/phone/tablet until he's probably in his teens. Kids/people all basically have ADD these days (myself included, that's why I know the affects electronics have on a young vulnerable mind). Just look around in a public setting and you'll see everybody looking at their smart phone. My son is read to every night before bed, some of his favorite toys are books, and we go outside as much as possible. 

Our generation is way too dependent on electronics and it seems the next generation will be even worse. I say 3 is WAY too young for an ipod touch. 

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by roc4life24

DC you try tooooo hard. 

If you can't tell the developmental difference between a 3 year old and a 7 year old, then I don't know what to tell you. 

Back
Top Bottom