Is Carmelo Anthony Still Top 10? *Seriously??* 4/8/12

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

How does Melo Anthony make ANY team better than Steve Nash would? Serious question GoldenCHild. Hell, I think Nash is a non-negotiable. How would any sane coach say to themselves, "Melo puts us (team) in a better position to win" when compared to Nash?

I'm not arguing against it. Like I said respectable picks but some people would rather have the youth, size, versatility and scoring power of Melo than Nash at this point in their respective careers. 

But if you're Jerry Colangelo and you're picking forwards for the Olympic team...you're going to pick Love over Melo?

Edit: Aight DC...so lets see your top 10 then.

Originally Posted by tim teufel

Is he a talented player? Yes. Has he been a top ten player his whole career? Yes. Has he been a top ten player since he was traded to the Knicks? No. Has he been playing great since d Antoni was fired? Yes

He is the same player now that he was 3 years ago. If the "ranking" changed it is because People have waken up. There is nothing about him then that warranted a Top 10 ranking that would disqualify him from having that ranking now.
So in which year was he a Top 10 player and who did he outrank? I don't know if I see that honestly.
he was without a doubt a top 10 player at the end of the 08-09 season, the year he took the nuggets to the wcf. i think you could even make a strong case that he was top 5 in the league that year 

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

But if you're Jerry Colangelo and you're picking forwards for the Olympic team...you're going to pick Love over Melo?

That is a different question than asking me who I would pick in a fantasy draft. 1 (USA) has the roster filled out vs. Fantasy Draft not having anyone else on the team. Meaning I wouldn't want to build around Melo. But as I said, I wouldn't want to build around Love either.
But to answer your question, don't fix something that isn't broke. I might keep Melo in that USA slot because of the success they had in 2008. I could see why someone would pick Love though. (Rebounding, 3PT shooting, better suited for the international game).

nismotl wrote:
he was without a doubt a top 10 player at the end of the 08-09 season, the year he took the nuggets to the wcf. i think you could even make a strong case that he was top 5 in the league that year 

Never. Never. Never. Sorry, Never. I can give you Top 10 since I can't put my mind into 08-09. I can go back and look at numbers but I can't put myself back into the scope of that season. Top 5 is a joke though. Never in his life has he been close to that.

He has def been playing like a top ten player since d antoni was fired can everyone agree with that?

Originally Posted by nismotl

Is he a talented player? Yes. Has he been a top ten player his whole career? Yes. Has he been a top ten player since he was traded to the Knicks? No. Has he been playing great since d Antoni was fired? Yes

He is the same player now that he was 3 years ago. If the "ranking" changed it is because People have waken up. There is nothing about him then that warranted a Top 10 ranking that would disqualify him from having that ranking now.
So in which year was he a Top 10 player and who did he outrank? I don't know if I see that honestly.
he was without a doubt a top 10 player at the end of the 08-09 season, the year he took the nuggets to the wcf. i think you could even make a strong case that he was top 5 in the league that year 
And everyone is forgetting the 09-10 season when the Nuggets led by Melo's great play were looking like a serious threat to win it all before George Karl went out due to cancer treatment and the team fizzled out.
They had the second best record in the West at the All-Star break and Melo finished the season averaging 28.

How does Melo Anthony make ANY team better than Steve Nash would? Serious question GoldenCHild. Hell, I think Nash is a non-negotiable. How would any sane coach say to themselves, "Melo puts us (team) in a better position to win" when compared to Nash?

I'm not arguing against it. Like I said respectable picks but some people would rather have the youth, size, versatility and scoring power of Melo than Nash at this point in their respective careers. 

Go back and look at all of the players I listed. I really don't do the Power Rankings thing. I don't rank PGs vs SFs. The most I would say is who I would rather have. But if we are asking for the list of players that I would want in terms of putting me in the best position to win.
1. Bronze

2. Kobe

3. Wade

4. CP3

5. Rose

6. Dirk

7. Durant

8. Dwight

9. Westbrook

10. Nash/Rondo

You can flip flop anything 4-10. Those are set in undried concrete. I am probably missing someone, I always end up leaving someone out when I am on the spot.

He has def been playing like a top ten player since d antoni was fired can everyone agree with that?

No because nobody that was above him has shifted down to make room for him. Being top 10 is not a power ranking system like you all make it out to be. Someone isn't going to be Top 10 one week and 2 weeks later they aren't Top 10. It doesn't work that way. Why should it work like that? Melo is the same dude he was 2 months ago. Ok he might be currently playing better but he is still the same dude. Some why should we say he is top 10 now? He is still a black hole. He is still lazy on the defensive end. He is still not as great of a rebounder as he should be. So NO, he is not top 10 now.

Go back and look at all of the players I listed. I really don't do the Power Rankings thing. I don't rank PGs vs SFs. The most I would say is who I would rather have. But if we are asking for the list of players that I would want in terms of putting me in the best position to win.
1. Bronze

2. Kobe

3. Wade

4. CP3

5. Rose

6. Dirk

7. Durant

8. Dwight

9. Westbrook

10. Nash/Rondo

You can flip flop anything 4-10. Those are set in undried concrete. I am probably missing someone, I always end up leaving someone out when I am on the spot.

Very respectable list but I'm putting Melo ahead of Westbrook for sure.

And everyone is forgetting the 09-10 season when the Nuggets led by Melo's great play were looking like a serious threat to win it all before George Karl went out due to cancer treatment and the team fizzled out.
They had the second best record in the West at the All-Star break and Melo finished the season averaging 28.

Peep what you mentioned there. Which is my point. Notice that is ALL you mentioned there. See where I am going with that? There is more to a basketball player than that man. I think that is what the Melo "bashers" vs. Melo "lovers" are discussing. We want to see him do more. Simple request.
When will we get away from highlighting that statistic as a measure for a player's value?

Yea I can understand that since Westbrook can be viewed as a PG version of Melo. Bully, slight black hole at times. So I can see that.

No because nobody that was above him has shifted down to make room for him. Being top 10 is not a power ranking system like you all make it out to be. Someone isn't going to be Top 10 one week and 2 weeks later they aren't Top 10. It doesn't work that way. Why should it work like that? Melo is the same dude he was 2 months ago. Ok he might be currently playing better but he is still the same dude. Some why should we say he is top 10 now? He is still a black hole. He is still lazy on the defensive end. He is still not as great of a rebounder as he should be. So NO, he is not top 10 now.
Definitely not true.

Definitely not true.

Of course it is still true. What are you basing it off of to say it isn't true? His play as of late? He is still inconsistent with his effort in non-scoring situations. I can't have that from my "best" player. I just can't. Lets not look at his last few games, lets look at what he has done for the majority of his basketball life. If Bart Simpson comes to school without a slingshot for 2 weeks straight I wouldn't label him an angel yet. A dog always finds his way back home.

Peep what you mentioned there. Which is my point. Notice that is ALL you mentioned there. See where I am going with that? There is more to a basketball player than that man. I think that is what the Melo "bashers" vs. Melo "lovers" are discussing. We want to see him do more. Simple request.
When will we get away from highlighting that statistic as a measure for a player's value?

Never.
You have to have something tangible to base performance on, the team with the most points win in basketball...so the players with the highest ppg will always be looked at as valuable players.

Of course you take other stats and intangibles into account and thats where the debate come about. Everyone has their own set of values and analysis.

But to lead your team to 3 consecutive 50 win seasons in the west, with a WCF trip...you gotta be doing something right other than just scoring points.

PPG is akin to what batting average used to be in baseball but far worse. There will come a time when only the truly inept will refer to such a meaningless stat without context. But for now, we suffer.

Carmelo just needed to play on a defensive minded team to show his ability, look at what he did with Boozer in Sundays game. He has been doing that over the last couple of weeks and I don't see him going backwards. He is a capable and willing defender. He was even sacrificing his offense to dig in defensively a couple weeks ago... predictably people started questioning his falling offensive numbers, even though they were winning games. He has a great balance to his game now though and he's clicking on both sides of the floor.

Ever since d antoni was fired melo has actually been playing solid d. And this is coming from someone that has bashed him all year long on his poor play.

1. Bronze

2. Kobe

3. Wade

4. CP3

5. Rose

6. Dirk

7. Durant

8. Dwight

9. Westbrook

10. Nash/Rondo

What u smoking son? WB actually can still impact a game when he sucks offensively. At least the dude still tries to defend/rebound/make plays when he's off. Melo's streak right now is primarily from his offense. IF his shot is off, what is he really? 
What makes a player GREAT is their ability to impact a game in other ways when they don't score. There are lot of great scorers, it's the NBA after all. 

Ever since d antoni was fired melo has actually been playing solid d. And this is coming from someone that has bashed him all year long on his poor play.

This, this and this^

That is a different question than asking me who I would pick in a fantasy draft. 1 (USA) has the roster filled out vs. Fantasy Draft not having anyone else on the team. Meaning I wouldn't want to build around Melo. But as I said, I wouldn't want to build around Love either.
But to answer your question, don't fix something that isn't broke. I might keep Melo in that USA slot because of the success they had in 2008. I could see why someone would pick Love though. (Rebounding, 3PT shooting, better suited for the international game).

nismotl wrote:
he was without a doubt a top 10 player at the end of the 08-09 season, the year he took the nuggets to the wcf. i think you could even make a strong case that he was top 5 in the league that year 

Never. Never. Never. Sorry, Never. I can give you Top 10 since I can't put my mind into 08-09. I can go back and look at numbers but I can't put myself back into the scope of that season. Top 5 is a joke though. Never in his life has he been close to that.

How can you say you can't put your mind to that season then say he was never even close to that. He made a lot of sports writers and sports sites top five players list at the end of that season, and I remember his Vegas odds to win the MVP at the beginning of the next season (2009-2010) was 10:1. Only four other players had better odds at the time: Bron, Wade, Kobe, and Dwight. So yea... I don't see how you can flat out say it's never even been close. I will say that Melo now is no longer top 10 though for sure, a lot of other players have surpassed him. However I do remember that season well when he was playing at the top of game, and I think for you to say that he was never top 10 in his entire career is just ridiculous 

Melo doesn't play defense? I mean he was never known as a defender, but he has shown moments in big games where he is very capable of playing defense very well. Like others have said, since D'Antoni got fired--Melo has been playing extraordinary defense.

The whole complexion of the Knicks culture has changed as well. Not only has he been playing defense, the whole team has been playing great defense. But the average fan won't notice this, because of his reputation.

Goldenchild did you really place Melo ahead of Chris Paul and Dwight Howard? Did you really do that? I'm going to leave this thread, I can't believe some of these arguments. Too much bias. This can't be life.

Melo is definitely top 10. I wouldn't take him over Lebron, Kobe, or Durant, but he is still a top 10 talent. Some can argue that he's the best "scorer" in the L, but the way Durant can manufacture points on any given play it's debatable.

In no particular order,

1. Kobe Bryant
2. Kevin Durant
3. LeBron James
4. Dwayne Wade
5. Derrick Rose
6. Deron Williams
7. Dirk Nowitzki
8. Dwight Howard
9. Rajon Rondo
10. Chris Paul

11. Kevin Love
12. Russel Westbrook
13. Carmelo Anthony

Some interesting and well thought out debates going on here. My only problem is how some of you guys can put players that have never LEAD their teams as first options ahead of Melo who has never missed a playoff as the LEAD PLAYER. Notice i am not saying leader, but LEAD PLAYER. He was definitely top 5 or 6 at the end of 08-09. Back then it was Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Paul and Howard/Melo in no order. Durant was not in the discussion yet, dirk got bounced early (by melo), Dwill too, and rondo/rose/westbrook/love weren't even close. Also, guys like KG and Duncan were injured and older.

From 08-11, Carmelo was definitely top 10, and if he continues to play as he has of late, he will be back in that discussion. I also think its unfair to say "he is just a scorer", when he rebounds and passes well for his position. Lebron, Pierce and Hedo are the only better passers at the 3. Realistically, he affects the game in 2 tangible areas which are scoring and rebounding. Westbrook/Bynum/Love are superb second options, but these guys as 1st options would not have the winning effect Melo has had for the majority of his career. Dirk who I'm a huge fan of has forgotten how to rebound, yet he is not "just a scorer" anymore. Lastly, Dwill is having his worst shooting season as a pro, turning the ball over at a crazy rate and is not leading his team this year. To have him firmly in the top 10 and suggest it is laughable to have Melo in that company is dumbfounding.

Back
Top Bottom