Is facial Hair/Beards Professional? Yay or Nay?

I was bored and cut off my beard, but man I miss it, I`m currently in the process of trying to relocate, Once your in a company its whatever when it comes to growing it back, unless they say no facial hair at all.
But what do you guys think about beards and the corporate world?

My Beard

407434_10150760751912627_592217626_12556093_943826592_n.jpg

yeah look up to dress code policy as long as you don't let it get wild you should be good.

What would you guys say about long hair? Is it possible to have it and still be professional

That beard should be fine. I think it's only an issue when you're looking like James Harden. And even then that is boughie, beards are dope.

Depends on the profession.

In the corporate world I've seen plenty guys with beards in suits over in the business district.

I actually get nothing but compliments about my beard, I guess anyone that would not like me cause of a beard wouldn't like me period

Yay. If it's well groomed.

To those saying it depends on the profession, in what profession would a well groomed beard be a no-no?

I think it totally depends on your position and how much your image impacts your business.
My job is is a good example; I work at an NBA team. A lot of the ticket reps stay VERY clean-shaven, especially during game days when they're suited up. I know one white guy has a good beard, full and well-trimmed... one black guy has a beard sort of like OP's. The team president rocks a mustache that he has probably had since the 80's.

My department and I rock some heavy stubble... we do the web design/graphic design/journalism... facial hair doesn't really impact our job at all, we just stay on computers 9-5 and then loaf around during games. If I want to clean up, I'll shave under the jaw line and sharpen it up a bit.

What I'm getting at is that if you are in a job where your image very much matters (sales, real estate, admin, etc) I'd stay clean-shaven or rock something that's been established (no half-grown beards). If you spend your hours behind the scenes, I'd say experiment as long as HR doesn't get on your case.

Its the growing stages that make you look like a bum. My job it doesn't matter but I could see jobs wanting a full beard or clean shaven. No in between stage.

If they were unprofessional, no Indian or Filipino middle aged man in the Bay Area would be employed. They're pretty much guaranteed to have mustaches
laugh.gif
Then again, engineering is pretty lax on dress codes (I've worked for strictly engineering companies throughout the last 5-6 years, and most people come in wearing t shirts, Wranglers, and running shoes)

When I was interviewing for a new accounting firm, I was clean shaven.

Upon being offered the position, on my first day I was rocking full beard.

I'd shave it off the night/morning before the interview & begin grow it back if you get offered a full time position.

Originally Posted by illphillip

Yay. If it's well groomed.

To those saying it depends on the profession, in what profession would a well groomed beard be a no-no?

Publix

I'm not even trying to fry, but aren't you looking to work retail at like T Mobile? I honestly don't think they give a @%%+ about your facial hair bro.

People always say to shave before an interview.  After that, it depends on the workplace.

Originally Posted by SN Souljah

As long as its groomed. If u feel uncomfortable then just trim it really low ..

Ive worked at a bank for over 4 years now, I always have a groomed beard + rapist mustache, Oh and i have a tattoo sleeve
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom