Is it me or is the market for European Football bigger than people think in America?

LMAO ... i see a lot of soccer fans have female type feelings ... ole sensitive in the face lookin boys lolol ... just like i remember from high school when weused to punish yall dudes against lockers and choose the best foot on the soccer team to be our kicker ... made fun of dude every damn day and called himsoccer boy ...

I take it you dont watch any Barclays league games.

no i dont ... but something tells me they rarely score more than 3 goals on average per game ...

Seriously? Baseball is the American Pastime. I love baseball to death, but it's slow as hell.

frequency of scoring in a baseball game > frequency of scoring in a soccer game ... not to mention there is COUNTLESS variables in a baseball game such as ahome run, a single double or triple, no hitters, strikeouts etc... etc... ... with soccery ou get a ball and a bunch of people and once every month someonedoes a bicycle kick to score a goal ... once every game on average there is probably a good stop by a goalie ...

Ignorant dudes like this should be banned from posting in threads about soccer.
disprove my statement then ... ... ... ... ill wait ... ... ...

I just wish that you could play a full soccer game against somewhat decent players. Then you would see how "slow" it is. I play nothing but basketball, but a couple of months ago I was in a 8 vs 8 soccer game on a field that was about two thirds as big as a true soccer field. I thought that I was going to have a heart attack from all the running I had to do.
i played soccer until 10th grade to keep my stamina up for football ... i know how grueling it is on the player ... but the fact is, its not asexciting as any of the 4 major sports ... yes hockey DOMINATES soccer in terms of enjoyability while watching a game ...

Originally Posted by after h0urs

They're not as ignorant as you think. ESPN knows very well the potential here in America, but they also know they'd be stupid to try and sway viewers to a foreign sport over the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. Those sports will absolutely punish ESPN for trying such an act. They're not going to let their popularity slide out from under them.

It goes both ways. American sports will never fully penetrate Europe because, minus culture, the media networks will never even get them a chance.

they do show american sports(atleast in the uk). They aren't that popular and are shown at odd hours(because of the time difference) but they are shown.You would be suprised to see how many people are interested in nfl "gridiron style" football.

and base salary wise the avg player in soccer doesn't make as much as an nba or mlb player. I think the top player in the world makes something like 15million a year. Now if you add in endorsements thats a different story...

also the reason why they dont show epl on espn is because fsc and setanta have the rights to it in america. and i think maybe gol tv has the rights to la liga.fsc may have partial if not all rights to serie a too.

it seems like every soccer thread somehow turns into a soccer is boring thread

no point in even getting into a discussion if people won't read/respect.

Originally Posted by DL2352

I'd love for there to be expanded coverage of European football.

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

while there may be a market for european soccer here

This is the problem, right here.. This is one of the main reasons why soccer isn't popular in the U.S.. People consider it as an "European" sportand they are reluctant to like it because it would hurt their American pride and it would somehow look like subjecting to Europe. Well, guess what. Soccerisn't a European sport. It's a world sport. It may have originated in Europe, but baseball and NFL football have originated in Europe as well, or atleast the games that baseball and football evolved out of.

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

frequency of scoring in a baseball game > frequency of scoring in a soccer game ... not to mention there is COUNTLESS variables in a baseball game such as a home run, a single double or triple, no hitters, strikeouts etc... etc... ... with soccery ou get a ball and a bunch of people and once every month someone does a bicycle kick to score a goal ... once every game on average there is probably a good stop by a goalie ...

Frequency of scoring in dodgeball > frequency of scoring in baseball, what the hell is your point.. Quality >>>>> quantity.

This is priceless.. You say there are countless variables in baseball.. Let's be real though, if you've seen one home-run, you've seen them all.Sure, some guys have a prettier swing than others, but if you made a montage of every home-run ever, they would all be very similar to each other, there aremany more ways of scoring a goal than there are scoring a home-run.

i was just replying to the guy that said baseball was as boring ... and because all you really get in soccer is scoring, thats the only apples to applescomparison i could make ...

and to the rest of your statement, theres many many many many other ways to score a run in baseball as well ... you are GROSSLY under estimating the sport ofbaseball ... why are you just focusing on the home run? what about a player who was walked, then bunted over by their teammate, then knocked in by a double? ormaybe that player stole second, was bunted to third and scored on a sacrifice fly ... theres countless ways for someone to score in baseball ... not to mentionthey score probably 2-3 times as much as the average soccer game does ... not to mention theres no other real discrepency between players except for some arefaster than others ...

i could go on forever but theres really no point ... soccer is one of the simplest games on earth to play and one of the slowest to watch ... it would have nomain stream appeal in america

Originally Posted by AirJordanSeattle23

^ what are you up to these days brandon?
school, f1, bpl- that's about it brother. what about you man? you living well?

it would have no main stream appeal in america
no, for some reason, YOU don't want it to have mainstream appeal, which is why you keep throwing your opinion onto others.

yes, soccer is a worldwide sport, but the thread starter was talking about european soccer.

it WONT have main stream appeal in the US ... Period ... even indoor soccer sucks and that has more action than regular soccer ... i enjoy watching the worldcup when it comes around, but waking up to tune in on a saturday or sunday to a soccer game ... never happen

^ what are you up to these days brandon?
school, f1, bpl- that's about it brother. what about you man? you living well?

it would have no main stream appeal in america
no, for some reason, YOU don't want it to have mainstream appeal, which is why you keep throwing your opinion onto others.

yes, soccer is a worldwide sport, but the thread starter was talking about european soccer.

just been traveling bro. looking for a new job.

and to the poster above. you dont seem to want soccer to succeed. why? seems ignorant.

it WONT have main stream appeal in the US

are you a psychic?

wake up saturday morning? fsc and setanta repeat almost every important match all week, they have nothing else to show.

like the thread title states, the market is bigger than you think.

i was just replying to the guy that said baseball was as boring ... and because all you really get in soccer is scoring, thats the only apples to apples comparison i could make ...

and to the rest of your statement, theres many many many many other ways to score a run in baseball as well ... you are GROSSLY under estimating the sport of baseball ... why are you just focusing on the home run? what about a player who was walked, then bunted over by their teammate, then knocked in by a double? or maybe that player stole second, was bunted to third and scored on a sacrifice fly ... theres countless ways for someone to score in baseball ... not to mention they score probably 2-3 times as much as the average soccer game does ... not to mention theres no other real discrepency between players except for some are faster than others ...

i could go on forever but theres really no point ... soccer is one of the simplest games on earth to play and one of the slowest to watch ... it would have no main stream appeal in america
Simple? Please, some of the passes, headers, bicycle kicks, and such surpass the watchability of baseball far and beyond. Like someone said,it's just ignorant people that think it'll hurt their American pride.

the market in the US would be foreigners and those who play soccer seriously ... no one born in the US gives two damns about soccer unless they play it ... imspeaking on a general appeal standpoint ... you wouldnt have enough interest in it

Simple? Please, some of the passes, headers, bicycle kicks, and such surpass the watchability of baseball far and beyond. Like someone said, it's just ignorant people that think it'll hurt their American pride.

roll.gif
are you serious? you head a ball, you kick a ball ... ... ... ... ...ive already addressed bicycle kicks ... the ONLY thing that a soccer game has over baseball is penalty kicks ... and most games dont even get to that pointbecause of the league rules ...

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Originally Posted by DL2352

I'd love for there to be expanded coverage of European football.

while there may be a market for european soccer here

This is the problem, right here.. This is one of the main reasons why soccer isn't popular in the U.S.. People consider it as an "European" sport and they are reluctant to like it because it would hurt their American pride and it would somehow look like subjecting to Europe. Well, guess what. Soccer isn't a European sport. It's a world sport. It may have originated in Europe, but baseball and NFL football have originated in Europe as well, or at least the games that baseball and football evolved out of.
When I was referring to European in my original title, I am referring to the club teams not the sport in general. Obviously the sport isworldwide but obviously the best players play in Europe and if it is not there then I am not paying that much attention to it. Sorry MLS. I don't wantto see the minor leagues

I think it seems to be growing more in America, it has potentil to keep growing. Channels like FSC allow for people who have always had a slight interest inthe game to be able to watch more and become bigger fans. The only problem is that it is a premium channel I believe. If it was free on basic comcast cable, Ithink the audience in American would grow significantly.

^ i was born and raised in america and i have a great interest in soccer. as do many others i know.
and you never played soccer as a child or competitively in high school or college? i find it hard to believe that you all of a sudden picked upsoccer arbitrarily over all the other american sports ...

a bunch of college kids having a party to watch some soccer ... ... ... ehh

^ i was born and raised in america and i have a great interest in soccer. as do many others i know.

I haven't played soccer since I was 12 years old, I'm now 22 and on Saturday and Sunday mornings I have COMPLETELY stopped watching the NFL and collegefootball and watch the EPL and the Italian Serie A on FSC instead...i would love to watch La Liga and the German League but i dont have Goal TV

^ your grasping at straws bro. no offense. i dont see how that has anything to do with it. alot of families from the usa have a past from a different country.

im first generation american. my mom and alot of my family are from the uk. my dad was born and raised in the bay area. i dont see how this has anything to dowith it.

Both sides of my family are Italian-American, but all 4 of my grandparents and both parents were born in America...none of them watch soccer.

I'll be honest, i didn't watch soccer until the '06 world cup, after that I fell in love with the game...began watching more of EPL and Italianleague and started to gravitate to the Italian Serie A because I recognized the players from the team that had won the world cup, and like I said, after 3soccer seasons I have now completely fazed out American football because of it.

the market in the US would be foreigners and those who play soccer seriously ... no one born in the US gives two damns about soccer unless they play it ... im speaking on a general appeal standpoint ... you wouldnt have enough interest in it

Simple? Please, some of the passes, headers, bicycle kicks, and such surpass the watchability of baseball far and beyond. Like someone said, it's just ignorant people that think it'll hurt their American pride.

roll.gif
are you serious? you head a ball, you kick a ball ... ... ... ... ... ive already addressed bicycle kicks ... the ONLY thing that a soccer game has over baseball is penalty kicks ... and most games dont even get to that point because of the league rules ...
Wow, you're quite ignorant. Every response of yours in this thread exemplifies that.

the market in the US would be foreigners and those who play soccer seriously ... no one born in the US gives two damns about soccer unless they play it ... im speaking on a general appeal standpoint ... you wouldnt have enough interest in it
I only played soccer when I was like 6 and 7, was born in the U.S., nobody in my family was born outside the U.S. and I LOVE soccer.

roll.gif
are you serious? you head a ball, you kick a ball ... ... ... ... ... ive already addressed bicycle kicks ... the ONLY thing that a soccer game has over baseball is penalty kicks ... and most games dont even get to that point because of the league rules ...
Or how about soccer has a running clock, non stop action, and no commercial breaks until half time. Unlike baseball...

Plus, you cant even give out a low scoring argument if you like baseball. AND soccer would be just as high scoring as football if they counted each goal as 7points. Games would be 14-7, 21-14, etc...just like football. The NFL would be just as low of scores if they counted field goals by 1 and TD's by 2.

Back
Top Bottom