Is Johnny Depp overrated in BLOW?

Originally Posted by FreezeTag

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril
indifferent.gif

8===D put it in your nostril and shut up.
sick.gif
roll.gif
sick.gif

While I enjoy the movie, it isn't that great. Depp is okay, but the role wasn't particularly interesting. George Jung should be a fascinatingindividual, but he really isn't.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

While I enjoy the movie, it isn't that great. Depp is okay, but the role wasn't particularly interesting. George Jung should be a fascinating individual, but he really isn't.
oh hey look someone else with common sense in here

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

oh i forgot everyone has a secret coke dealer fantasy on here. my bad, carry on. great movie.
indifferent.gif

yeah, dont say why the movie is so great or anything. just post emoticons.

Post why you think this movie was so bad and i'll tell you why it was great.

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

oh i forgot everyone has a secret coke dealer fantasy on here. my bad, carry on. great movie.
indifferent.gif

yeah, dont say why the movie is so great or anything. just post emoticons.

Post why you think this movie was so bad and i'll tell you why it was great.
when did i say it was bad. i watched it when it came out and thought it was cool but its nothing to be excited about like people on here are. itsnot a great movie. its not a great performance. its an ok movie that gets glorified on here way too much.

I can understand if you don't like the movie. Not that you don't like Depp's performance. Dude KILLED that role. He killed it. That's not anopinion, that's a fact.

I can understand if you don't like the movie. Not that you don't like Depp's performance. Dude KILLED that role. He killed it. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

he did a good job. nothing spectacular. guy didnt get snubbed for an oscar or anything. and i didnt say i dont like the movie, its just overrated and people onhere like to overreact

People overreact about everything on NT son. That's NT.
laugh.gif

definitely but most of the time i can understand why. nowhere else have i ever heard people who love this movie so much and will defend it with their lives.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Tarvald Drama Chase

no way, one of the best movies of all time
I have only heard things like this on NT. I always thought it was an okay movie, with a really good cast. Hell, it only has a 7.4 out of 10 onimdb

movie gets a 9/10 from me and thats from not enough detail, Depp played Jungs character great, i felt the whole vibe of the movie, when George hit rock bottomi felt him hit rock bottom.

the movie wasn't that bad, and i felt Depp did a great job with Jung (he tends to with most of his roles, anyways), but I felt Diego Delgado's (CarlosLehder) was the more fascinating character. i would've enjoyed the flick more if it had revolved around his story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Delgado

Originally Posted by daboyprince23

movie gets a 9/10 from me and thats from not enough detail, Depp played Jungs character great, i felt the whole vibe of the movie, when George hit rock bottom i felt him hit rock bottom.
See, they did a poor job of making you feel sorry for him. Maybe that wasn't the intent of the movie, but if it was, they didn't do itvery well. He played the character with zero emotion, as if there was nothing he could do that would make the viewer care about him. In the end, it's justan idiot getting what he deserved, and there's nothing interesting about it.

I can understand if you don't like the movie. Not that you don't like Depp's performance. Dude KILLED that role. He killed it. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.
I'm just going to ignore the stonefaces and respond to one of the only dudes in here trying to get somewhere...

I just do NOT see what's so great about what this guy did. What's an example of a great, intriguing character?

Malcolm McDowell in A Clockwork Orange.
Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over the ****oo's Nest.
Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight.

Johnny Depp in Blow did not do a terrible job, he just did not do well enough to warrant this OUTLANDISH claim:

no way, one of the best movies of all time
The film reminded me too much of Scarface and Goodfellas. We've all seen it before, a semi-clever bum who makes it to the top through crimeand crashes down.

Depp was a bore. Who cares about his coke ho's or his miscellaneous druggie friends? The only interaction that interested me was his parents and hisdaughter. All he did with his parents was barge in on their house and stare at them, and well he was just a crappy Dad (hint- maybe drug dealing is not for youafter going to jail twice and losing 60 mil)

He just comes off to me as an average role, not the all-star "crown him king" role that everyone thought (AFTER Pirates... when it became cool tojump on his nuts)

Originally Posted by AlBooBoo5

Originally Posted by Club29

he is not overrated. he is the perfect amount of rated
laugh.gif
basically

read up about George Jung before you make an opinion.
I did read up on him immediately after watching, nothing special. Now do I have your permission to make an opinion?

If you want to see Johnny Depp playing a real person, much better than the George Jung in blow, go rent Tim Burton's Ed Wood. That is a fantasticperformance.

Back
Top Bottom