Is Marvin Gaye the GOAT? Discuss

Stevie Wonder>>>

But Mavin Gaye was that dude
smokin.gif

Stevie is my dude and if you would've asked me a few years ago I would've said Stevie with no second thought..

But now I gotta say Marvin.. I remember blowing trees wit my ex listening to "I Want You", fam the music had me feeling so good I got up off the couch and started singing and slow dancing with her... Yambs were harvested many times that night..

Last edited:
Stevie is my dude and if you would've asked me a few years ago I would've said Stevie with no second thought..

But now I gotta say Marvin.. I remember blowing trees wit my ex listening to "I Want You", fam the music had me feeling so good I got up off the couch and started singing and slow dancing with her... Yambs were harvested many times that night..

:lol: :smokin

He's up there but people seem to give him the automatic nod because the of the way that he passed away and how heavily he's been commercialized since then.

Legendary life and death.

Personally, I'm slightly more partial to Ronald Isley, Stevie and Luther Vandross for their sheer number of brilliant hits that put you in that zone.

Al, Teddy P, Marvin, Kells.....all those brothers are in the running.

Just a matter of taste.

Last edited:
Sam Cooke is my guy and there are too many contenders but Marvin will always be in the top 10% of the discussion

Marvin Gaye is more Soul than RnB so I'm going to say no. If we're talking purely RnB it's R Kelly.

What in the world are you talking about

It's crazy how some of you think a dude who wrote you remind me of my jeep is in the same league as Marvin or Stevie.

Last edited:

Marvin Gaye is more Soul than RnB so I'm going to say no. If we're talking purely RnB it's R Kelly.
What in the world are you talking about

It's crazy how some of you think a dude who wrote you remind me of my jeep is in the same league as Marvin or Stevie.
Did you read what I said? They are in different categories to me. RnB has become too broad of a term and encompasses too many genres and variations. It doesn't make sense to compare contemporary RnB with Soul greats all under the banner of "RnB." To me, when speaking of RnB in this day and age, it strictly covers contemporary style RnB, back to the late 80's through now. Soul music is way different. Marvin Gaye = Soul. R Kelly = RnB. MJ = Pop. Granted they all blur the lines a bit but like I said if we're talking purely RnB I'm going with R Kelly.

I have to go with the R too

And for the record Stevie > Marvin. Marvin has bigger hits, but Stevies overall body of work is better

Last edited:
Did you read what I said? They are in different categories to me. RnB has become too broad of a term and encompasses too many genres and variations. It doesn't make sense to compare contemporary RnB with Soul greats all under the banner of "RnB." To me, when speaking of RnB in this day and age, it strictly covers contemporary style RnB, back to the late 80's through now. Soul music is way different. Marvin Gaye = Soul. R Kelly = RnB. MJ = Pop. Granted they all blur the lines a bit but like I said if we're talking purely RnB I'm going with R Kelly.

What's the difference in RnB and Soul, and why isn't it part of RnB?

So because rap is different now from in the 90's and 80's, it's no longer rap?

There's plenty of differences. Contemporary RnB is damn near closer to Rap than it is to Soul. If we're going to lump everyone together under RnB then how is Michael Jackson not the goat?

There's plenty of differences. Contemporary RnB is damn near closer to Rap than it is to Soul. If we're going to lump everyone together under RnB then how is Michael Jackson not the goat?

If they're plenty of differences then you should be able to explain them.

RnB just evolved according to era. That doesn't make it different. Soul music is RnB.

Jazz is different from what Dizzy Gillespie and Miles Davis were doing, so that's not jazz?
Rock today is different from what Chuck Berry did...from what the Beatles and Elvis did. Are you going to say it's not rock?

Michael Jackson never specifically made RnB songs...some songs, yes...same as Prince.

On my iPad, I wish I could post the vid of Marvin casually laying on the couch effortlessly singing 'I Want You' with a live band in front of him :pimp:

Marvin the GOAT

Last edited:
Contemporary RnB focuses less on the voice for starters. That's why you can have so many contemporary RnB artists who can hardly hold a note. It's more about the melodies and lyrics that relate to an urban crowd (mostly the hip hop crowd). Soul music's number one focus was the voice and harmonies. It was almost strictly based around concepts of love, as far as content goes. What Bobby Brown does and what Bobby Womack does are simply not the same lol. Through the 40's up even until the 70's I think it was still appropriate to categorize it all under Rhythm and Blues. But that has splinted so much up to now that it's really not imo. It may be semantics but in this day and age when someone says RnB, you can almost be certain they aren't referring to Soul music. That's why Neo-Soul has been dubbed such, so that there's no mistaking the fact that it is a re-emergence of the Soul sound, not to be compared with contemporary RnB. Think about that. Do we compare Chris Brown to Angie Stone? No we don't. So why are we comparing Marvin Gaye to R. Kelly? It's way too different.

Contemporary RnB focuses less on the voice for starters. That's why you can have so many contemporary RnB artists who can hardly hold a note. It's more about the melodies and lyrics that relate to an urban crowd (mostly the hip hop crowd). Soul music's number one focus was the voice and harmonies. It was almost strictly based around concepts of love, as far as content goes. What Bobby Brown does and what Bobby Womack does are simply not the same lol. Through the 40's up even until the 70's I think it was still appropriate to categorize it all under Rhythm and Blues. But that has splinted so much up to now that it's really not imo. It may be semantics but in this day and age when someone says RnB, you can almost be certain they aren't referring to Soul music. That's why Neo-Soul has been dubbed such, so that there's no mistaking the fact that it is a re-emergence of the Soul sound, not to be compared with contemporary RnB. Think about that. Do we compare Chris Brown to Angie Stone? No we don't. So why are we comparing Marvin Gaye to R. Kelly? It's way too different.

This makes no sense. How old are you?

Every genre of music has sub genres...rock, jazz....besides rap

That just makes it different forms...it doesn't make it not rock and jazz.

No music form is supposed to sound like it did 30 or 40 years ago. Did D'Angelo sound like Maxwell? Did Erykah Badu sound like Jill Scott? Does John Legend sound like Raheem DeVaughn?

We shouldn't be comparing R Kelly to Marvin, because P Kelly shouldn't have been mentioned in a GOAT thread in the first place.

I love rocking my Marvin t-shirt every now and then.

I think he's the GOAT of soul - but Luther's voice is so pure.

........I mean, he could be and I wouldn't argue it, but there are so many others that could also be worthy of that title.

In my personal opinion, easily.

His seeped through all of his music.

It's crazy. You really feel what he's feeling when

he sings it.

YES.

Marvin is heads and shoulders the best to me IMO.

"I Want You" has so.much emotion and feeling its ridiculous

Back
Top Bottom