Is Melo really a SUPERSTAR?

I feel like that term gets thrown around too casually. To me, a true superstar has to have two qualities:

1) Makes everyone around him better
2) Can single handily carry a team on his back, meaning surround him with bums and they're still making the playoffs (i.e. Kobe in 05-06, Wade in 08-09, KG in Minny, Lebron in Cleveland)

I personally feel like there are only a handful of true superstars in the league (kobe, lebron, wade, dwight, maybe chris paul/d-will), as in you could surround them dudes with YMCA cats and they'd still probably make the playoffs.

Now there is the second tier that are pseudo-superstars, who have one of these qualities, but not both. Players like Dirk, Durant, Melo are elite scorers and can be #1 options on a championship team, but don't really make their teammates better. Players like Nash, Gasol, Rondo make everyone around them better but can't carry the load night in and night out.

When I watch Melo play, I see elite scorer, clutch, not afraid of the moment. He's not much of a playmaker, doesn't lock up, doesn't rebound. For comparison purposes, if you stuck Melo on Cleveland would they be a playoff team? I say no. If you switched him with Wade on last year's Heat team or Kobe's 05-06 Laker team, would they make the playoffs? I don't see it.

In my eyes, if he goes to the Nets, they're the 5th best team in the conference. If he goes to the Knicks, they're pushing Chicago for 4th, but I'd still probably go with Chicago in a 7 game series. They still wouldn't beat the Heat, Celtics or Magic in a 7 game series.

Someone convince me that i'm wrong.

I feel like that term gets thrown around too casually. To me, a true superstar has to have two qualities:

2) Can single handily carry a team on his back, meaning surround him with bums and they're still making the playoffs (i.e. Kobe in 05-06, Wade in 08-09, KG in Minny, Lebron in Cleveland)

I personally feel like there are only a handful of true superstars in the league (kobe, lebron, wade, dwight, maybe chris paul/d-will), as in you could surround them dudes with YMCA cats and they'd still probably make the playoffs.

Now there is the second tier that are pseudo-superstars, who have one of these qualities, but not both. Players like Dirk, Durant, Melo are elite scorers and can be #1 options on a championship team, but don't really make their teammates better. Players like Nash, Gasol, Rondo make everyone around them better but can't carry the load night in and night out.

When I watch Melo play, I see elite scorer, clutch, not afraid of the moment. He's not much of a playmaker, doesn't lock up, doesn't rebound. For comparison purposes, if you stuck Melo on Cleveland would they be a playoff team? I say no. If you switched him with Wade on last year's Heat team or Kobe's 05-06 Laker team, would they make the playoffs? I don't see it.

In my eyes, if he goes to the Nets, they're the 5th best team in the conference. If he goes to the Knicks, they're pushing Chicago for 4th, but I'd still probably go with Chicago in a 7 game series. They still wouldn't beat the Heat, Celtics or Magic in a 7 game series.

14dps49.gif

It's going to be one of those threads, let me get my spot now.

14dps49.gif

It's going to be one of those threads, let me get my spot now.

Melo is not a superstar, but if he goes to the Knicks they're going to be serious. I say that as a Bulls fan who has hated the Knicks since age 5.

Melo is not a superstar, but if he goes to the Knicks they're going to be serious. I say that as a Bulls fan who has hated the Knicks since age 5.

Originally Posted by Futuristic

It's funny because I think Rose has a good chance at jumping into that true 'superstar' status pretty soon. He's improved his jumpshot/3 pointer tremendously and has both qualities. Can score at will and makes his teammates better. Now if he could just get to the line, word to Hollinger
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Futuristic

It's funny because I think Rose has a good chance at jumping into that true 'superstar' status pretty soon. He's improved his jumpshot/3 pointer tremendously and has both qualities. Can score at will and makes his teammates better. Now if he could just get to the line, word to Hollinger
laugh.gif

Of course not.
One-dimensional, inefficient, streaky shooter, doesn't stretch the floor (30% from deep for career), black hole on offense, severe lack of effort/care on defense, no leadership qualities, etc. etc.

Of course not.
One-dimensional, inefficient, streaky shooter, doesn't stretch the floor (30% from deep for career), black hole on offense, severe lack of effort/care on defense, no leadership qualities, etc. etc.

hmmm. this thread should be good.

imo he's in that "elite" class of the NBA.

Superstar? i'm leaning more towards yes then no.

hmmm. this thread should be good.

imo he's in that "elite" class of the NBA.

Superstar? i'm leaning more towards yes then no.

Originally Posted by PoeticJays

In my eyes, if he goes to the Nets, they're the 5th best team in the conference.[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)] [/color]If he goes to the Knicks, they're pushing Chicago for 4th, but I'd still probably go with Chicago in a 7 game series. They still wouldn't beat the Heat, Celtics or Magic in a 7 game series.

What?

Wrong. 9 rebounds a game for a SF.

Yes.

Stop it 5.

Originally Posted by PoeticJays

In my eyes, if he goes to the Nets, they're the 5th best team in the conference.[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)] [/color]If he goes to the Knicks, they're pushing Chicago for 4th, but I'd still probably go with Chicago in a 7 game series. They still wouldn't beat the Heat, Celtics or Magic in a 7 game series.

What?

Wrong. 9 rebounds a game for a SF.

Yes.

Stop it 5.

Hasn't his team made the playoffs every year since getting him?

This is Denver's record since drafting him.

[table][tr][td]
2009-10[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]53[/td][td]29[/td][td].646[/td][td]1st[/td][td]Northwest Division[/td][td]2[/td][td]4[/td][td].333[/td][td]Lost West Conf 1st Rd[/td][/tr][tr][td]2008-09[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]54[/td][td]28[/td][td].659[/td][td]1st[/td][td]Northwest Division[/td][td]10[/td][td]6[/td][td].625[/td][td]Lost West Conf Finals[/td][/tr][tr][td]2007-08[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]50[/td][td]32[/td][td].610[/td][td]2nd[/td][td]Northwest Division[/td][td]0[/td][td]4[/td][td].000[/td][td]Lost West Conf 1st Rd[/td][/tr][tr][td]2006-07[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]45[/td][td]37[/td][td].549[/td][td]2nd[/td][td]Northwest Division[/td][td]1[/td][td]4[/td][td].200[/td][td]Lost West Conf 1st Rd[/td][/tr][tr][td]2005-06[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]44[/td][td]38[/td][td].537[/td][td]1st[/td][td]Northwest Division[/td][td]1[/td][td]4[/td][td].200[/td][td]Lost West Conf 1st Rd[/td][/tr][tr][td]2004-05[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]49[/td][td]33[/td][td].598[/td][td]2nd[/td][td]Northwest Division[/td][td]1[/td][td]4[/td][td].200[/td][td]Lost West Conf 1st Rd[/td][/tr][tr][td]2003-04[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]43[/td][td]39[/td][td].524[/td][td]6th[/td][td]Midwest Division[/td][td]1[/td][td]4[/td][td].200[/td][td]Lost West Conf 1st Rd[/td][/tr][/table]

This was Denver's before drafting him.

[table][tr][td][table][tr][td]2002-03[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]17[/td][td]65[/td][td].207[/td][td]7th[/td][td]Midwest Division[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]DNQ[/td][/tr][tr][td]2001-02[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]27[/td][td]55[/td][td].329[/td][td]6th[/td][td]Midwest Division[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]DNQ[/td][/tr][tr][td]2000-01[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]40[/td][td]42[/td][td].488[/td][td]6th[/td][td]Midwest Division[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]DNQ[/td][/tr][tr][td]1999-00[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]35[/td][td]47[/td][td].427[/td][td]5th[/td][td]Midwest Division[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]DNQ[/td][/tr][tr][td]1998-99 *[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]14[/td][td]36[/td][td].280[/td][td]6th[/td][td]Midwest Division[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]DNQ[/td][/tr][tr][td]1997-98[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]11[/td][td]71[/td][td].134[/td][td]7th[/td][td]Midwest Division[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]DNQ[/td][/tr][tr][td]1996-97[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]21[/td][td]61[/td][td].256[/td][td]5th[/td][td]Midwest Division[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]DNQ[/td][/tr][tr][td]1995-96[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]35[/td][td]47[/td][td].427[/td][td]4th[/td][td]Midwest Division[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]DNQ
[/td][/tr][/table]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]Not so good is it? Didn't he also lead syracuse to their first national championship? i know it's college but still..

Hasn't his team made the playoffs every year since getting him?

This is Denver's record since drafting him.

[table][tr][td]
2009-10[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]53[/td][td]29[/td][td].646[/td][td]1st[/td][td]Northwest Division[/td][td]2[/td][td]4[/td][td].333[/td][td]Lost West Conf 1st Rd[/td][/tr][tr][td]2008-09[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]54[/td][td]28[/td][td].659[/td][td]1st[/td][td]Northwest Division[/td][td]10[/td][td]6[/td][td].625[/td][td]Lost West Conf Finals[/td][/tr][tr][td]2007-08[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]50[/td][td]32[/td][td].610[/td][td]2nd[/td][td]Northwest Division[/td][td]0[/td][td]4[/td][td].000[/td][td]Lost West Conf 1st Rd[/td][/tr][tr][td]2006-07[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]45[/td][td]37[/td][td].549[/td][td]2nd[/td][td]Northwest Division[/td][td]1[/td][td]4[/td][td].200[/td][td]Lost West Conf 1st Rd[/td][/tr][tr][td]2005-06[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]44[/td][td]38[/td][td].537[/td][td]1st[/td][td]Northwest Division[/td][td]1[/td][td]4[/td][td].200[/td][td]Lost West Conf 1st Rd[/td][/tr][tr][td]2004-05[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]49[/td][td]33[/td][td].598[/td][td]2nd[/td][td]Northwest Division[/td][td]1[/td][td]4[/td][td].200[/td][td]Lost West Conf 1st Rd[/td][/tr][tr][td]2003-04[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]43[/td][td]39[/td][td].524[/td][td]6th[/td][td]Midwest Division[/td][td]1[/td][td]4[/td][td].200[/td][td]Lost West Conf 1st Rd[/td][/tr][/table]

This was Denver's before drafting him.

[table][tr][td][table][tr][td]2002-03[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]17[/td][td]65[/td][td].207[/td][td]7th[/td][td]Midwest Division[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]DNQ[/td][/tr][tr][td]2001-02[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]27[/td][td]55[/td][td].329[/td][td]6th[/td][td]Midwest Division[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]DNQ[/td][/tr][tr][td]2000-01[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]40[/td][td]42[/td][td].488[/td][td]6th[/td][td]Midwest Division[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]DNQ[/td][/tr][tr][td]1999-00[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]35[/td][td]47[/td][td].427[/td][td]5th[/td][td]Midwest Division[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]DNQ[/td][/tr][tr][td]1998-99 *[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]14[/td][td]36[/td][td].280[/td][td]6th[/td][td]Midwest Division[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]DNQ[/td][/tr][tr][td]1997-98[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]11[/td][td]71[/td][td].134[/td][td]7th[/td][td]Midwest Division[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]DNQ[/td][/tr][tr][td]1996-97[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]21[/td][td]61[/td][td].256[/td][td]5th[/td][td]Midwest Division[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]DNQ[/td][/tr][tr][td]1995-96[/td][td]Denver[/td][td]35[/td][td]47[/td][td].427[/td][td]4th[/td][td]Midwest Division[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]-[/td][td]DNQ
[/td][/tr][/table]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]Not so good is it? Didn't he also lead syracuse to their first national championship? i know it's college but still..

To me a superstar is broken down into a few parts.

1. Popularity. This is easily the most important part of the equation. Some would say production, but I beg to differ. Stardom is popularity. It isn't about how well you are in your field but how many casuals are willing to come see you when they have no emotions attached to the game. Being able to DRAW on the road is a big factor.

2. Production. People want to force themselves to believe a superstar MUST be able to do it on both ends of the court. LIke Larry Bird right? Like Steve Nash right? Like Barkley right? You don't have to do a thing on the defensive end to be considered a superstar. I hate when people bring that part of. Scoring is the most important aspect of the game. If you score so much that you aren't a liability on the other end of the court because you can SHOOT you team out of any situation, then you are fine. Forget defense.

3. Winning doesn't matter. Again, you don't have to win a damn thing to be considered a superstar. You can just look at most superstars in the history of the NBA. Most of them haven't won a damn thing, so does that disqualify them from superstar status? Of course not.

The superstars of TODAY
Kobe
LeBron
Wade
Dwight
Melo
Yao
Nash

I might be missing someone but those are the folks I am going with.

Now if we are asking about the best PLAYERS in the NBA< that is a different discussion. People confuse that and super stardom too often.

To me a superstar is broken down into a few parts.

1. Popularity. This is easily the most important part of the equation. Some would say production, but I beg to differ. Stardom is popularity. It isn't about how well you are in your field but how many casuals are willing to come see you when they have no emotions attached to the game. Being able to DRAW on the road is a big factor.

2. Production. People want to force themselves to believe a superstar MUST be able to do it on both ends of the court. LIke Larry Bird right? Like Steve Nash right? Like Barkley right? You don't have to do a thing on the defensive end to be considered a superstar. I hate when people bring that part of. Scoring is the most important aspect of the game. If you score so much that you aren't a liability on the other end of the court because you can SHOOT you team out of any situation, then you are fine. Forget defense.

3. Winning doesn't matter. Again, you don't have to win a damn thing to be considered a superstar. You can just look at most superstars in the history of the NBA. Most of them haven't won a damn thing, so does that disqualify them from superstar status? Of course not.

The superstars of TODAY
Kobe
LeBron
Wade
Dwight
Melo
Yao
Nash

I might be missing someone but those are the folks I am going with.

Now if we are asking about the best PLAYERS in the NBA< that is a different discussion. People confuse that and super stardom too often.

Back
Top Bottom