Is Rap for Poor People?

BigDanes89

formerly bigdanes14
I can't help but think that hip hop is made for people living in poverty. I love everything hip hop but a lot of the popular music right now does glorify bad morals (ex. gang violence, money is everything, eff any girl around you, drugs/alcohol is cool..). I've been listening to rap for as long as I can remember, like when I was in elementary I would be doing homework with the channel CMC on (the Bay Area's MTV back then) and 2pac, Ice Cube, Hot Boyz, Biggie, Dr. Dre, Eminem, Jay Z music videos would be playing. Now that I'm older I can see it's effects on the younger generation in our society. I like all of rap from the chief keefs to the kendricks, from the Eazy Es to the Big Ls. I LOVE HIP HOP. I don't know maybe its just me getting older and most of the poplar rappers claim to be from ghettos so I guess that's why I feel that way towards rap right now. Just wanted to see what yall think?

Nah. Gotta listen to what you like. I listen to some other music sometimes but I just dont "feel it" like I feel rap. It doesnt speak to me.
Cant imagine listening to rock or country. What else? New age, pop music? Jazz maybe when I get super old.
I enjoy some female singers but listen to 95% or more rap.

Last edited:
I get what your saying, I feel the same way. But I don't think rich kids would really feel the music like people from the neighborhoods these rappers come from. To me, if you are part of a family from the 1% you will never know what it's like to be Biggie or 2pac so they shouldn't play it ever.

Most rappers rap about their life and what they see and do on a day to day, they make music for anyone who can relate to them. I don't know any billionaire rappers that are rapping about billionaire shenanigans, so I can't see why any billionaire would listen to a rapper talking about their hood or whatever. But as you go farther down the food chain and talk about millionaires, middle class, poor people, then it gets more likely for them to be able to relate and listen to these rappers. So to answer your question no I don't think Hip-Hop is made for poor people, it's made for anyone who can relate. 

Rap used to be for those who couldnt afford instruments and expensive equipment to keep people enlightened.

now rap is for anyone with internet who can afford a wifi connection

At one point in time, for the most part yes rap was for urban youths that were lower class and hip hop was mostly born out of that (a lot of musical genres are though). Now, it's not at all. 90s came around and the plight of the modern day negro along with the attitude the message was being delivered greatly appealed to middle class and the upper class that grew up with it, and their children, accepted and began to love it.

Hip Hop aint for the poor anymore but I do wish it kept benefiting them.
How is rap for the poor when most rappers talk an extravagant lifestyle?
They're talking about something they don't have but want. Most rappers are lying about how extravagant their lifestyles are anyway.

or how its almost a pre-requisite to come from humble beginnings to be a rapper. (even drake who doesn't act street/hood for the most part, feels the need to mention that his family wasn't well off in every interview)

this should have been posted in the rustle jimmy thread.

would have delivered lulz. 

Last edited:
Rap is derived from struggle and the pain of growing up without a father. I guarantee 99.9 percent of rappers grew up with no pop around. Rap is pain, and in many instances, an expression of releasing that pain on others. I honestly don't understand how and why the African American culture idolizes music about killing other people, especially of your same race.

I agree 100% sooperhooper. TupackShaker, I think people who listen to Lil B and Riff Raff aren't really stupid, they just bought into the hype. But I ain't gunna lie my homie brought me to a Lil B concert and it was TURNT UP TO THE MAX!

OP You titled your thread wrong. If you are posing the question as if Rap glorifies bad morals then I could understand that but asking if rap is for poor people doesn't correlate with what you brought up in your post.

How is rap for the poor when most rappers talk an extravagant lifestyle?

At one point in time, for the most part yes rap was for urban youths that were lower class and hip hop was mostly born out of that (a lot of musical genres are though). Now, it's not at all. 90s came around and the plight of the modern day negro along with the attitude the message was being delivered greatly appealed to middle class and the upper class that grew up with it, and their children, accepted and began to love it.

Hip Hop aint for the poor anymore but I do wish it kept benefiting them.
They're talking about something they don't have but want. Most rappers are lying about how extravagant their lifestyles are anyway.

That's right [emoji]128077[/emoji]

I just got in the house a few minutes ago an a song came on my sirius radio via dj skee "Future - Move That Dope"

OP go listen to it if you have not

its bad but good

dont eem know what this thread is eem about 
roll.gif

Can I get a deduction on my taxes if I listen to rap??  Bout to open up my Turbotax and find out.

Back
Top Bottom