Is Sebastian Telfair slowly living up to the hype?

He's been getting plenty of minutes since the Foye injury. Do you guys think he'll become a great pg one day? I kinda felt bad for him, coming out theyear after Lebron. After the success of Lebron, Sebastian was expected to dominate right away. But then again, he could've gone to college. But what do youguys think?

^^If he wouldnt of *$*%@% Pitino over and went to Louisville he woulda been nice. But i dont think he will ever be a good NBA pg. I could put up stats runningthe point for the Wolves right now. They're trash, and hes just putting up some stats while replacing an injured franchise player. If he was really helpingthey would have more than 3 wins

He's ONLY 22....the sky is the limit for what he can accomplish in this league. He's in a great situation in Minnesota being that he can grow with therest of the team. There is a promising big in Al Jefferson, and if he can develop like he sould (along with Telfair), then this team could beintriguing/special in about 3-4 years. Personally, he reminds me of Rod Strickland. People were quick to hate on the kid and there was enormous pressure on himat such a young age. It's no easy task to go from running a team full of 15-17 year olds, and being asked to do the same with grown men. There are so manypeople sitting back just waiting for him to fail, and it's [barkley] turrible [/barkley]. Again, he is only 22 and he will easily have another 10+ yearsplaying in the NBA.

roll.gif
haha sorry. but telfair is at his prime, he'll always be a decentbackup.

Originally Posted by rhcp729

roll.gif
haha sorry. but telfair is at his prime, he'll always be a decent backup.
This guy said prime when he's only 22 years old............

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

what are you
smokin.gif

I swear lol, if yall dont stop sayin "he f'ed Pitino over" and all that other goofy %*!+...Pitino fully understood Bassy's decision. Hewoulda been much more polished had he went to college, but I mean, he did what he had to do, and why the hell would he pass up what was on his plate? He hadguaranteed money offered from a shoe company that wouldnt have been there had he didnt excell at Louisville...

and yea, he's is and has always been (since his 2nd year in the league) ungaurdable as far as beating his defender, you cannot stay infront of him. Hisproblem was he didnt know how to be effective at penetrating on the NBA level, which is what made him what he was as a prep. Right now he's been given anchance on a bad team and is taking advantage of it.

He's only been in the league for like 3 years....I'll wait at least to his 5th or 6th season to say if he's a total bust or not...cuz its not likehe was a top 5 pick..

I still believe he should've went to college. His game would've been matured a lot more. This kid has a lot to learn, and he is in the best situationright now. With Foye injured, this is his best opportunity to assert himself in the starting lineup.

Do I think he is a bust? No, I still think he has a lot of time left to prove all the critiques wrong. Will he do that? That we wont know for another 2-3years.

If he came out after his freshman year of college we would expect him to be making a big impact by now.

But since he came out after high school we give him a pass, saying that it's so difficult for him to be playing PG at his young age. I don't buy it.

He's got a chance to improve himself and his career is far from over but I can't see him ever living up to the hype. It is very possible for him tohave a decent NBA career though.

I was a huge hater of him when he was traded to my Wolves, but watching him, he's actually been progressing lately. If he lives up to the hype, that wouldbe sweet with Foye in the backcourt as well. Bring on our top 2 pick this year (knock on wood) and we could be tough in the future.

IMO, he reminds me of a Marbury or a Francis, without the ability to score. I wish we had a Raymond Felton or a Jameer Nelson type point, but hopefully Telfaircan develop. To be honest, I've never really liked dudes game and thought he was an idiot for skipping college. Hopefully I'm wrong...

He's alright right now, he'll get better. But he'll never be great.
He'll be a solid starting point.

After the success of Lebron, Sebastian was expected to dominate right away.
I don't know about that. Lebron was huge physically, Sebastion is short even in terms of Point Guard.

I think going to the NBA was a smart decision for him, get his money.
ohwell.gif

When you come from that kind of background in his mind im sure he's thinking one injury in college i could lose all this money offered and be poor forever

If he wouldnt of *$*%@% Pitino over and went to Louisville he woulda been nice
how did he mess Pitino over?? pitino new from the start that the chances of keeping him was slim

I'm not quite sure Bassy has quite made it out of that fire he was going through. The hype and documentary were uncalled for. But like I've saidbefore, the hype will forever be a part of how your career is judged. I'm not mad at him for getting his money and I hope he can become a solid guard inthe league one day soon. But that's mostly because I enjoyed the documentary. I do see why Dwight Howard seemed to be giving him the cold shoulder though.I still can't believe Dwight or LeBron didn't have their own respective documentary.

But to answer the original question, "No. He is not living up to the hype."

Sebastian was expected to dominate right away

huh?? what scouting reports were you reading?

dude is quick as *ish, but undersized + no shot = no one was expecting dude to dominate anything early on or ever.

glad to see the kid finally putting things together a bit and staying outa trouble tho.

Didnt he drop like 12 dimes the other night?

He has PLENTY of time before we can even consider him a bust. He's just had the misfortune of being on some pretty bad teams to start his career.

how did he mess Pitino over??

At 4:39 p.m., Oct. 16, 2003, Sebastian Telfair slapped down his cards face up. "Now I came to tell you," he said, "that I will be attending the school of the University of Louisville, Rick Pitino."

On those words, the Lincoln boys and girls players sitting behind Telfair and wearing those NBA OR COLLEGE? T-shirts rose to face the assembled media and did a jump spin in place. TELFAIR SAYS LOUISVILLE, read the announcement on their backs.

"When you're a kid," Telfair said, "you dream of playing in the NBA. You want to go to somebody who can help you live your dreams....Coach Pitino is the person who can do that for me."

A half hour after Telfair's big Brooklyn announcement, and three hours before the Yankees and Red Sox began an epic Game 7 that would drive that announcement deep into New York's sports sections, I asked Telfair if Pitino really had him locked up.

"Nah, I just needed to get people off my back," he said through his million-dollar smile.

laugh.gif
@ ppl who say hes dumb for not goin to lousville...u guys dont get it...think aboutit...your a high school kid out of coney island. not the richest place in the world, geting offered MILLIONS (adidas shoe deal) too...just put urself in hisshoes for a sec. and tell me you wouldnt wanna go to the nba. ok sure he might be a better player who knows if he went to college...but what if he he wasnt asgood as ppl expected and did bad in college..injuries...tell me u wouldnt have done the same thing...

like someone above said its not like he was a top 10 pick...yal just hatin cuz hes from ny and got attention...who wouldnt want their own movie, deals, hype?

Luke Jackson
Rafael Auaujo
Robert Swift

were drafted in the top 10 that year. meybe we should be talkin bout them

Back
Top Bottom