Is the OG material always better?

Aquamanjay_

formerly jaylaw15

Here’s a dope video where a collector talks about the OG Durabuck White Cement 4 and OG 6s. Durabuck was used as a synthetic material as a cheaper alternative to leather and suede. The White Cement 4(and likely the Fire Red) has the Durabuck with the leather texture, while the Black Cement has the nubuck textured Durabuck. Same goes for the Grape 5(and other OG 5s), White Infrared 6, Carmine 6, and Sport Blue 6, mostly white leather with synthetic durabuck leather on the ankle/heel. This is why the back of these shoes tend to yellow and have cracks compared to the rest of the shoe. The Black Metallic 5 and Black Infrared 6 are entirely synthetic Durabuck that mostly feature the nubuck textured Durabuck on the upper, and the leather textured Durabuck on the heel/ankle. Nike stopped using the material in 1998. Then subsequently started making their own, which was different.

The material used in a leather texture seems to age really badly. The genuine leathers on the white cement 4 1999 and 2016 are sure to last longer. Same goes for the other white based 4-6. Of course the early 2010s retros had very hard leather, while the late 2010s have softer, but Isn’t that an improvement? Many think every OG detail is superior, but aren’t there times where retros get the material right? Like recent retro 13s(aside from the Melo) that doesn’t bleed, or the 3-5 midsoles that don’t crumble as quick.

Last edited:
Looks wise and details, I will always give the nod to originals. But quality can be somewhat overrated. Jordans were made then to feel broken in immediately. Which takes away from it's durability. The way some of the original Jordans have aged, even ds pairs show that. Originals felt better than today's retro because they were softer and better cushioning. They just broke down quicker. Today's retro will last longer because the material is more stiff. But that itself will take away from overall comfort.

Looks wise and details, I will always give the nod to originals. But quality can be somewhat overrated. Jordans were made then to feel broken in immediately. Which takes away from it's durability. The way some of the original Jordans have aged, even ds pairs show that. Originals felt better than today's retro because they were softer and better cushioning. They just broke down quicker. Today's retro will last longer because the material is more stiff. But that itself will take away from overall comfort.
Beat me to it.

I personally don’t mind that the retros didn’t use the exact same Durabuck, because the overall quality of what they did use was comparable, and it didn’t change how the shoe looked.

The changes to the midsole however... I couldn’t be more against. It really annoys me that I have to steer away from wearing 3s, 4s, and especially 6s sometimes because of how hard and heavy they are now compared to when they felt like AM1s. Granted, the older midsole would discolor and eventually crumble, but by then the shoe would be due for another release, so it’s not worth the change IMO.

Last edited:
The og material will always be better than the new material Nike uses. yeah the ogs might not last for 30 years but then again most of these were just over 100 bucks new did anybody expect them to last for 30 years or longer?. The real durabuck was easier to clean and was more comfortable by far. I bet none of the new retros will last 30 years either. Most of mine im lucky to get 10 years out of them and still be wearable, only time will tell. I had them all when there were og and new the new material dosent even compare. for me I would take og durabuck thats lasts 10 to 20 years over the new material anyday regardless of how long it lasts it just dosent feel the same. especially 4's fire reds military blues and cements will never compare to the ogs again. mow we get leather when the ogs were all durabuck its just not the same.

if Nike cant use midsole material that can keep up with how long the uppers last does it really even matter? ive always had a problem with the midsoles crumbling or being destroyed way before the uppers. except the last bred 4's that material was horrible and did not last as ong as the midsoles, it separated and the layers of material detached itself where it creased way before any midsole issues except paint chipping which happens pretty quick.

og’s are definitely better in terms of quality. seems to be the case in every established brands. i remember how awesome levi’s and doc martens quality was back in the days.

i keep hearing how the older louis vuitton’s are also better and it’s true. my mother has a bag from the 80’s and the leather has this rich quality to this date, not thin and cheap like the mass version of LV’s circulating the market these days.

So the 1999 white cements that have genuine leather are inferior? Isn’t this the same leather said to blow the 2016 out the water?

^^^ white cement 4?

Does anyone have an example of a Jordan or Nike retro where the material was better than the og?

I did not own many og Jordan's or Nikes.

The og Nikes I did own however most definitely had better quality.

Does anyone have an example of a Jordan or Nike retro where the material was better than the og?

No retros have better material!

What about the foamposite?

I didn't own the og so idk.
I imagine you can't really change that.
I know about the color and 2 cuts and all but what about the material

I was referring to shoes made with Durabuck, Nubuck, leather and suede.
As far as foams goes the retros might actually be better quality with an improved formula at this point. or very close to og that material Nike actually produces themselves same goes for all of the air units and mid soles and soles. Nike has a plastic and rubber manufacturing facility that produces all the rubber and foam materials in house.

^^^ white cement 4?

I think OP was really keying in on the durabuck specifically, because for general leathers and suedes, this is no contest. The "leather" they use now doesn't hold a candle to what was used on the first modern retros (99-03), which were a small step behind the 94-95 retros and OGs. The difference between the OGs and early retros was so small, even if you noticed, it wasn't worthy of a complaint. The only complaint back then was if they didnt bring back a colorway you wanted :lol:

Its definitely different for sure! I cant speak to the specifics of how or why, but in hand its noticeable.

You’re like the only person I know that questions originals vs the subpar stuff that came after them. It’s not even a question. OGs always win. Just stop Aquamanjay_ Aquamanjay_ .

I think OP was really keying in on the durabuck specifically, because for general leathers and suedes, this is no contest. The "leather" they use now doesn't hold a candle to what was used on the first modern retros (99-03), which were a small step behind the 94-95 retros and OGs. The difference between the OGs and early retros was so small, even if you noticed, it wasn't worthy of a complaint. The only complaint back then was if they didnt bring back a colorway you wanted :lol:

Its definitely different for sure! I cant speak to the specifics of how or why, but in hand its noticeable.
Exactly, you always hear that the OG isn’t better. But is it always the case? Especially when you’re talking about the og synthetic durabuck. You get it

No they weren’t. Durabuck was not used after 1998. That’s why 1999 most likely look more white than yellow compared to the 1989.

have you owned a pair ? you really have no idea what your talking about. 1999 white and black cements are for sure real Durabuck! the infrared 6's in 2000 were the last shoes to use real Durabuck. the production of Durabuck stopped around 98-99 but there was still stock left until it ran out.ask around !!!

And fyi they turn yellow because their not leather like ogs and they do slightly yellow 89s more so because their older.. you watched that video I dont care what that guy said about the yellowing the 89's are 10 years older than 99's and when it comes to shoes thats a lot

No they weren’t. Durabuck was not used after 1998. That’s why 1999 most likely look more white than yellow compared to the 1989.

look at 99 white and cements and look at 99 Columbias 4s are clearly completely different material. Columbias are leather Cements are not .. and dont try to say its because ones tumbled leather that has nothing to do with it . same with Oreos and black Cements!! Aquamanjay get your facts straight before you try to confuse newbies. look at my name theres an og in there for a reason I was veks039 and have been on here since day one before I was known as OGSlater. and as far as shoes goes im a triple og been in the game over 30 years!

have you owned a pair ? you really have no idea what your talking about. 1999 white and black cements are for sure real Durabuck! the infrared 6's in 2000 were the last shoes to use real Durabuck. the production of Durabuck stopped around 98-99 but there was still stock left until it ran out.ask around !!!
Just because the information doesn’t come from me doesn’t mean it’s not true. Multiple people who own the shoes themselves including @scollard23 and various contributors to @ogsupportgroup on IG have said this.

What I always find confusing, is how people bash younger people for not knowing about OG details, but when I discuss information that has been passed down from OGs themselves, it’s an issue. Does I have to have owned them for what I’m saying to be true? No. That’s not how history, and the recycling of information and facts work.

Straight from an OG collector and researcher who actually had the shoes when they came out up till now

1999 WC IV is the GOAT retro for me. Yes, I owned a pair, nothing has even been close.

Back
Top Bottom