Is this sketchy to you guys?

I've been applying for a bunch of accounting jobs just to see if I can get an interview even though Im about half way through with just a 2 yr associates degree in accounting. One place actually called me back today and wants to do an interview next wednesday. The thing is, I know im completely under qualified. I went to look back at the job posting and it said 2 yrs working towards a bachelors preferred, I pretty much have that but I have about 2 accounting classes under my belt. Does it make sense for me to go to the interview or am I just wasting my time?

Please respond

What's the worst that can happen? Worst case scenario they say no, best case you get the job.

Last edited:
Is it for an internship or full time position? Worst case you get practice for future interviews that actually matter to you. But if its for a full time position and you're in a 4 year program it doesn't make much sense besides to practice

Last edited:
" "You miss a 100% of the shots you dont make"

-Wayne Gretzky "

-Michael Scott

true. Im going back to school in september and its a 75% job? Im assuming that means like 30 hrs a week. Ill probably go for it and just see what happens

Always good to practice your interviewing skills. They will probably ask you general accounting questions (i.e. difference between debit & credit? proper procedure for invoicing? etc...) so be prepared. Don't freak out if you don't know an answer. They want to see how much you know and how you respond in that type of situation.

-Use the interview to practice your interviewing skills.
-Try to get an internship out of it if you can't land the job.
-Be courteous, professional and try to build some contacts. If you don't get the job this time, next time around might be different.

Jump on the opportunity to interview. It'll give you a confidence boost even if you are underqualified. I'm currently applying to jobs, and my philosophy is the years of experience category is a gray area. It's up to the company how strictly they want to enforce it. They wouldn't waste their own time interviewing you if they thought you were completely out of the running for the job. Good luck

Sometimes places hire and reach out to less qualified people because the experienced folks want too much $$$. A lot of smaller businesses do this and they can train you hands on once you start.

Go for it. In my opinion people should be trained for what they want to do rather than go to school for 4+ years

Might not concern you for this interview but definitely know this for finance/accounting interviews. Relationship between interest rates and bond prices and also how the 3 financials statements are interrelated (retained earnings)

http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/relationship-between-the-different-financial-statements

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/04/031904.asp#axzz21l0mposG

also know exactly what your going to say for your greatest weakness, i don't think ive ever had a interview where that didn't come up.

Back
Top Bottom