ITS GOING DOWN IN MEMPHIS.........protesters beat up cops

Memphis protesters hurl bricks and rocks at police, injuring 36 officers in outrage over a man's death

(CNN) — What started as a protest over the death of a Memphis man devolved into chaos after demonstrators threw bricks at police and vandalized squad cars, officials said.

At least 36 officers and deputies were injured in the melee Wednesday night, police said Thursday. All those hospitalized have been released. Three people have been charged with disorderly conduct and one of them also with inciting a riot.

The turmoil came after US marshals shot and killed a man Wednesday night in the north Memphis neighborhood of Frayser, officials said.

Marshals were trying to stop 20-year-old Brandon Webber, who was wanted on multiple warrants, outside a home as Webber was getting into a vehicle, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation said. The warrants pertained to a June 3 incident in Hernando, MIssissippi, the bureau said.

LIVE UPDATES: Latest on Memphis
Webber "reportedly rammed his vehicle into the officers' vehicles multiple times before exiting with a weapon," the bureau said. "The officers fired striking and killing the individual. No officers were injured."

What we know about the shooting that sparked the protests
News of Webber's death spread quickly as protesters hurled rocks at police, tore down a concrete wall outside a business and smashed the windows of squad cars and a fire station.

Why the US Marshals were trying to arrest Webber

The US marshals involved in Wednesday's incident were serving a warrant on behalf of police in Hernando, about 25 miles south of Memphis. Webber was wanted for allegedly shooting a man in Hernando and stealing his car, officials said.

Webber had answered a social media ad regarding a vehicle, John Champion, district attorney for Mississippi's 17th Circuit Court, told reporters Thursday.

Webber and the man selling the car went on a test drive on June 3 and while they were switching places Webber shot the victim five times, Champion said.

The car's owner identified Webber in a photo lineup and Mississippi authorities contacted marshals on June 8, asking them to make an arrest.

The Hernando warrants were for aggravated assault, armed robbery and conspiracy to commit armed robbery, Champion said.

Authorities say that Webber was driving a red Infiniti during Wednesday night's incident -- the same vehicle stolen in the Hernando crime.

Hernando authorities say there is another suspect in the June 3 incident. That individual allegedly drove Webber to Memphis.

Protesters unleash anger toward a different agency

Police in Memphis said upset residents misdirected their anger.

"US marshals were involved in a fatal officer-involved shooting. MPD went to the scene to assist them and to contain the scene," Memphis police Director Michael Rallings told CNN affiliate WREG.
"For some reason, they turned their anger toward the Memphis Police Department."

The police director and mayor lauded Memphis officers for keeping their composure despite coming under attack.

"I'm impressed by their professionalism and incredible restraint as they endured concrete rocks being thrown at them and people spitting at them," the mayor said.

The police director also praised the protesters who remained peaceful or tried to quell the violence.

"I know that there are many individuals in the crowd that tried to assist in keeping everyone calm," Rallings said.

'The neighborhood is victimized'

Residents aired their grievances in Memphis' Frayser neighborhood after news broke of another black man killed by law enforcement.

According to the US Census Bureau, the ZIP code that includes most of Frayser is about 80% black, and more than four in 10 residents live below the poverty line.

Webber was a 2017 graduate of Central High School, which said it was deploying extra security and grief counselors across the school district.

"My heart is broken over the news regarding the death of Brandon Webber," Central principal Greg McCullough said. "I remember that he was a very talented art student. He seemed to really love his experience at Central High and he engaged well with others."

Shelby County Commissioner Tami Sawyer tweeted that she went to Frayser shortly after the shooting because "this is my district. I went because I stand with my people. People are hurting."

"Don't judge Frayser without asking a community how it feels to mourn their youth over and over again," Sawyer tweeted. "What do people do with their pain and trauma when it gets to be too much, when a city has ignored them, when their loss is too great and they can no longer yell at the sky?"
But Rallings, who is black, said the police department welcomes peaceful protests. It's when demonstrations turn violent that protesters end up hurting their own community, he said.

"When these (acts) of violence happen in a neighborhood, the neighborhood is victimized," Rallings said.

"My message tonight is we should all wait and make sure that we know what exactly happened before we spread misinformation, or we jump to conclusions. ... We know there's a lot (of rumors) out there, and often individuals do not have the facts. And I think that's dangerous."

CNN's Madeline Holcombe, Joe Sutton, Eliott C. McLaughlin and Dave Alsup contributed to this report.

upload_2019-6-13_22-23-3.jpeg

They keep killing, people are going to start getting more bold.

It’s a bad cycle. ***** *** cops are already scared enough as it is now they are going to be EVEN more on edge if that’s even possible.

maybe
but then maybe they just had enough
and plus u gong by what the cops say happened

I mean dude didn’t need to die regardless.

You’re a cop, you’re gonna do cop stuff and it might be dangerous. You can’t just blast everyone who scares you.

The funny thing is cops jobs aren’t even that dangerous. A garbage man has a more dangerous job than them. Is he gonna get a parade in the street and called a hero when someone texting runs him over? **** no

Cops need to get off their high horse, their job isn’t that dangerous.

You’re a cop, you’re gonna do cop stuff and it might be dangerous. You can’t just blast everyone who scares you.

The funny thing is cops jobs aren’t even that dangerous. A garbage man has a more dangerous job than them. Is he gonna get a parade in the street and called a hero when someone texting runs him over? **** no

agree totally

It’s too late...decades of hyping them and anybody in the military up got em all feeling like untouchable super hero’s in this country

It’s too late...decades of hyping them and anybody in the military up got em all feeling like untouchable super hero’s in this country
im glad i aint the only one who feel this way
80-90% of them in the army go
because they need to have a steady form of income
or had a family young and need money
wanna get away from home or their messed up environment
or just wanna kill folks legally
very few believe that bs about fighting for our freedoms
i know its not popular to say
but whatever

That’s what pisses me off. It’s a job just like anything else. No one made to take this job so how are you some hero?

People who hype up police are idiots.

You don’t see this stupidity in other countries.

Yeah I’m not mad at anyone in the military. I’m really not, but our freedom hasn’t been at risk since ww2.

Really all that needs to be said. Not their job to choose who lives and dies. Are they in harms way? Yes, literally what they signed up for. They’re there to take those hits

Yeah I’m not mad at anyone in the military. I’m really not, but our freedom hasn’t been at risk since ww2.
yeah im not mad either
but the fake worship folks give them is annoying
and irritating
they DO deserve free home and board
after they come home
as well as free healthcare imo

im glad i aint the only one who feel this way
80-90% of them in the army go
because they need to have a steady form of income
or had a family young and need money
wanna get away from home or their messed up environment
or just wanna kill folks legally
very few believe that bs about fighting for our freedoms
i know its not popular to say
but whatever
And most of the cats in the army right now ain’t even in the field...it’s mostly reserves, office work and training but they all wanna get praised like they Rambo :lol: :smh:

yeah im not mad either
but the fake worship folks give them is annoying
and irritating
they DO deserve free home and board
after they come home
as well as free healthcare imo

Yeah they do, you got your people who just did it like any other job then you got the dudes who saw combat.

I kick it with a dude who cleared IUDs from roads etc, he was the dude on the machine gun on top the the truck... those types are gonna need help and whatever help they need the govt should foot the bill.

:lol: not long

I also want to say, nothing wrong with being proud of what you do. If you’re in the military and you’re proud of it right on. You shouldn’t do anything you’re not proud of.

But these police for example are so proud they’ll violate you all day and then idiots will defend them because we’re told you’re supposed to respect them and never question them. **** all that.

Back
Top Bottom