"I've been through so much" people Unnapreciation

From what I can tell, most of NT is lower middle class to middle class. Most of y'all can relate to being poor at some time in your life, but have any of you lived in poverty for years?

I lived in poverty my entire childhood until I went to college. That's less than 24k a year for a family of 4 and less than 14k for a family of two. Half of my childhood, it was just me and my mom. 18 years of living in poverty in inner city Los Angeles.

Y'all say everybody been through struggles. But have y'all ever struggled your entire life?

I rarely tell people about any of this. My closest friends don't even know this.
no disrespect but...

What does this have to do with the thread?

For some reason I always find myself around people who have to tell me about how easy my life is and how I never had to struggle and generally are tryna to purposefully make me feel like **** about myself compared to their struggle. Mind you I'm not richer or even upper middle class. I just love in a house and use correct grammar and don't carry myself in any sort of hood manner, and people take those three things and decide who I am for me all the time.Literally I've had so many people who just don't like me from the moment they first saw me, and if you ask them why a lot of their reasons are things that have nothing to do with me.

Don't even waste your time on those people fam.

Same position. Was raised kind of lower middle class, but I've always spoke perfect english because that's the way my father decided to bring me up.

My grandfather told me this word for word, "To make it in the white mans world you must carry yourself like one."

i completely understand why people might not take a liking to either of ya..when ya say things like da aforementioned you marginalize folks who don't feel like

they gotta compromise who they are to feel "acceptable" to white people...there's alot of room for resentment there.

Bruh

What did I say? How did I marginalize people? How did I compromise myself?

This is exactly what I'm talking about. As far back as I can remember people I know just be throwin me under the bus whenever they feel like it for no real reason, but in the same breath they demand that I feel their plight and be super sensitive of their backstory and applaud them for the accomplishment of having it rough while they make all the assumptions they want to about me and my life story without even wondering about my background.

Last edited:
From what I can tell, most of NT is lower middle class to middle class. Most of y'all can relate to being poor at some time in your life, but have any of you lived in poverty for years?

I lived in poverty my entire childhood until I went to college. That's less than 24k a year for a family of 4 and less than 14k for a family of two. Half of my childhood, it was just me and my mom. 18 years of living in poverty in inner city Los Angeles.

Y'all say everybody been through struggles. But have y'all ever struggled your entire life?

I rarely tell people about any of this. My closest friends don't even know this.
no disrespect but...

What does this have to do with the thread?
I assume that it's hard for most of NT to be able relate to people who have been through "so much" like myself.

Last edited:
Depends if it's an everyday thing. If so, then I stay far away from people like that.

If the person is going through some rough ****, sometimes it's good to listen. You never know you might be the one who needs someone to listen to your issues one day. 

People's moods are infectious, and they have a way of influencing our own moods. 

So I try to associate with positive people, and of course everything in life is not peaches and cream, but still I don't like to be around people who kill the mood as soon as they walk in the room.

You know people like that? As soon as they come around it's like a bad spirit just walked in the room. 

mean.gif

Sympathizing for people going through rough times is different than a person saying they've been through too much as a way of self-pity. I think that's where OP is coming from.

It IS annoying. I always try and sympathize with people these days no matter how marginal it may seem to me, but when it becomes a continual crutch for that person and they just repeat the words without action, it becomes more about that person than it does their actual "tribulations."

Being strong is how you carry yourself when you're going through the tough times and how you push yourself through it to become a better person who has learned. It is NOT just going through it that makes you strong in my opinion.

Last edited:
Sympathizing for people going through rough times is different than a person saying they've been through too much as a way of self-pity. I think that's where OP is coming from.

It IS annoying. I always try and sympathize with people these days no matter how marginal it may seem to me, but when it becomes a continual crutch for that person and they just repeat the words without action, it becomes more about that person than it does their actual "tribulations."

Being strong is how you carry yourself when you're going through the tough times and how you push yourself through it to become a better person who has learned. It is NOT just going through it that makes you strong in my opinion.
I agree, it can be annoying.

Not everybody is "strong" though and some people take longer to develop that mindset. I understand where OP is coming from but I won't just dismiss a person because they aren't as mentally strong as I am. No one comes out of the womb as a perfect person with a 100% perfect personality. We're all learning and improving at our own pace as life goes on.

When I run into these people I understand that they are obviously insecure and I try to look past that. I have my own character flaws that another person could point out as well.

What's annoying is the people who've "been through so much" because of their own stupid decisions and try to get sympathy like they had no control over their lives.

But you tell NT though...:rolleyes

Half of the time they aint even been through **** or its self inflicted

Last edited:
Is it unfashionable that there are things people would reveal online but not in real life?

Its not "unfashionable"
Sometimes you want to tell your story and its easier to tell strangers.
But I think your post is exactly what OP was saying he does not like.

Sometimes people tell their story over and over because it helps them deal.
This is NT and has nothing but males.
We all know most males are not good listeners.

Are you still a sex addict?

This doesn't bother me as much as the lowkey attention hores.  The ones that try to nonchalantly flex in pictures, only seem to post self-pictures when they're wearing their "nice" outfit, post pictures they think makes them look cool, but try to add a funny caption, so it doesn't look as egotistical, and of course only posts the cutest baby pictures of themselves for 'likes...'

Back
Top Bottom