J.COLE , KENDRICK LAMAR ......who would you say is more popular

I just thought about this but I find it hilarious about how well documented it was about how long Cole was waiting to get Jay on a track but Jay hopped on Kendrick's **** with the quickness 
laugh.gif

I think Kendrick is. Dude performed three different times at the BET Awards to go along with his 2 awards.

It seemed like he was on-call backstage all night long :lol:

In my area people still really don't know who Kendrick is they didn't even know swimming pools was his song , most haven't even heard his album let alone OD and sec. 80

I'll give it to cole only because he has the bigger radio hit right now.

I met a dude who ain't never listened to Reasonable Doubt :x

Right now its Cole, Kendrick is coming on his heels though. Need more artists like both in Hip Hop

I would have said Kendrick before Born Sinner came out, but after Cole sold 300k first week there's no question.

Kendrick Lamar easy.

One has one of the best albums in decades.

The other is just awkward and corny with terrible beats and zero subject matter besides girls.

Where I'm at Cole...

K on his heels

I'm just glad I rock with both and they put out quality material I can rock with... The fact that they are close to each other and respect each other as well makes it that much better....

Last edited:
Power Trip has been a smash single in my area. The radio plays it around the clock daily. In terms of the female demographic (which is the demographic that matters the most in terms of sales), Cole is easily the more popular rapper.

I like both. Cole hasnt dropped a fire album yet though. GKMC is IMO one of the best rap albums of the past decade

Hmm.. Kendrick easily had a better album, but that doesn't necessarily mean people like him more. He had a lot of promotion and was getting a crazy push from the industry (literally every notable artist from Dre to 50 Cent, to Eminem etc etc was hyping him up as the savior). If GKMC didn't go platinum it would have been a disappointment.

Kendrick has more widespread respect in the hip hop community, but it seems like Cole has more of a hardcore fanbase (especially females).

Honestly, this is an interesting question and I can't call it. Another thing, not that it really matters but Kendrick only has 1.9 mil followers on Twitter vs Cole who has 4 mil. Yet I would bet my life that Born Sinner won't sniff platinum, which is weird.

I'm starting to wonder whether the hype around these artists is real, or how much of it is manufactured by the industry.

Interesting post. Good points made. I think every time Kendrick drops an album now he'll do Hov & Ye' numbers first week. 300-400,000.

one is gold... the other is platinum... one of them also gets put on waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more features than the other... i think it's a pretty obvious choice and anybody choosing other wise is just letting their fandom blind them

Back
Top Bottom