Japan’s Severe Population Decrease (644,000 decrease)

An estimate released by Japan’s Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications shows that the total population as of October 1, 2021, was 125,502,000. This was a drop of 644,000 (0.51%) from the previous year. As the largest decline since 1950, when figures became comparable, it indicates how population decline is accelerating

Not surprising, it’s been talks bout Japan’s population decline for decades so finally starting to show
Combat that with the work culture, lack of sex and relationships that is often talked about and more issues, they’re about to undergo a serious population shift. Main thing that’ll help is if they loosen their immigration rules.

Having that large of an elderly population is wild

Late-Stage Capitalism + Xenophobia + Aging Populace + Delayed Women's Rights Movement are all kicking their *** right now

Their work culture makes it difficult to find and form romantic bonds

Their rampant xenophobia makes it difficult for immigration to support their population numbers

They have the oldest population in the world which is now starting to die off

And their women's rights movement, which is a good thing, is coming at a bad time to coincide with all this. Many japanese women are actively choosing careers or whatever else they want, over marriage and children after being denied the choice for so long.

Late-Stage Capitalism + Xenophobia + Aging Populace + Delayed Women's Rights Movement are all kicking their *** right now

Their work culture makes it difficult to find and form romantic bonds

Their rampant xenophobia makes it difficult for immigration to support their population numbers

They have the oldest population in the world which is now starting to die off

And their women's rights movement, which is a good thing, is coming at a bad time to coincide with all this. Many japanese women are actively choosing careers or whatever else they want, over marriage and children after being denied the choice for so long.
They’re gonna have to loosen their immigration policies. I believe you have to be working there in a visa in order to be able to stay there long term.

They’re gonna have to loosen their immigration policies. I believe you have to be working there in a visa in order to be able to stay there long term.
From what I've heard, culturally they are doing slightly better at being less exclusionary
But they still do make it hard to stay, get a job and not be discriminated against by the state
And a lot of people still are VERY afraid of foreigners and foreign presence in japanese society

Plus a lot of stuff the government says it's doing about toxic workplace culture is just a facade
So even when a foreigner does manage to stay they're likely placed in a hostile culture just to earn a living
That's not a very good way of convincing overseas talent to emigrate for Japan instead

There's gonna be some tough times ahead in Japan if they don't modernize their thinking

Japans population for 65 and over accounts for 30% of their population for reference
They got entire communities where the youngest people are in their 70s-80s

It's a very densely populated country. Maybe this is a good thing.
Maybe; at the same time, their neighbors are North Korea and China. I wonder if/why they don't consider the lack of young folks a national security issue.

I guess 65 is the new 20s in Japan.

If anyone manages to create a holodeck where you can have sex with whoever whenever, it's gonna be over for all of humanity though.

Japan is a fascinating place. Tokyo has a population larger than Canada, Australia, or California. The work culture is insane, and it’s damn near impossible to immigrate to. Snow in the north, heat in the south. Still closed for covid, but may open up in June. And a hatred for China and Korea.

Will they ever open up and let people in? I doubt it. But I hope they do. Hopefully one day they starting putting life in front of work.

Back
Top Bottom