Japanese Scientists Cloning a Woolly Mammoth. Jurassic Park Coming Soon.

Tried doing a search but couldnt find anything.  But if I'm late to posting this, please delete. 
Japanese scientists plan to clone a Woolly Mammoth in 5 years time, and raise it in a Jurassic Park style theme park. 

http://news.nationalgeogr...50408_woollymammoth.html

A team of Japanese genetic scientists aims to bring woolly mammoths back to life and create a Jurassic Park-style refuge for resurrected species. The effort has garnered new attention as a frozen mammoth is drawing crowds at the 2005 World Exposition in Aichi, Japan (see photo).

The team of scientists, which is not associated with the exhibit, wants to do more than just put a carcass on display. They aim to revive the Ice Age plant-eaters, 10,000 years after they went extinct.

Their plan: to retrieve sperm from a mammoth frozen in tundra, use it to impregnate an elephant, and then raise the offspring in a safari park in the Siberian wild.

"If we create a mammoth, we will know much more about these animals, their history, and why they went extinct," said Kazufumi Goto, head scientist at the Mammoth Creation Project. The venture is privately funded and includes researchers from various institutions in Japan.

Many mammoth experts scoff at the idea, calling it scientifically impossible and even morally irresponsible.

"DNA preserved in ancient tissues is fragmented into thousands of tiny pieces nowhere near sufficiently preserved to drive the development of a baby mammoth," said Adrian Lister, a paleontologist at University College London in England.

Furthermore, Lister added, "the natural habitat of the mammoth no longer exists. We would be creating an animal as a theme park attraction. Is this ethical?"

Tried doing a search but couldnt find anything.  But if I'm late to posting this, please delete. 
Japanese scientists plan to clone a Woolly Mammoth in 5 years time, and raise it in a Jurassic Park style theme park. 

http://news.nationalgeogr...50408_woollymammoth.html

A team of Japanese genetic scientists aims to bring woolly mammoths back to life and create a Jurassic Park-style refuge for resurrected species. The effort has garnered new attention as a frozen mammoth is drawing crowds at the 2005 World Exposition in Aichi, Japan (see photo).

The team of scientists, which is not associated with the exhibit, wants to do more than just put a carcass on display. They aim to revive the Ice Age plant-eaters, 10,000 years after they went extinct.

Their plan: to retrieve sperm from a mammoth frozen in tundra, use it to impregnate an elephant, and then raise the offspring in a safari park in the Siberian wild.

"If we create a mammoth, we will know much more about these animals, their history, and why they went extinct," said Kazufumi Goto, head scientist at the Mammoth Creation Project. The venture is privately funded and includes researchers from various institutions in Japan.

Many mammoth experts scoff at the idea, calling it scientifically impossible and even morally irresponsible.

"DNA preserved in ancient tissues is fragmented into thousands of tiny pieces nowhere near sufficiently preserved to drive the development of a baby mammoth," said Adrian Lister, a paleontologist at University College London in England.

Furthermore, Lister added, "the natural habitat of the mammoth no longer exists. We would be creating an animal as a theme park attraction. Is this ethical?"

Man that would be epic if they were able to somehow do this
eek.gif

i dont see anything wrong wit clonin a mammoth if they can. its only gon be 1, so that wouldnt be hard to kill if it got outta control. i think the problem would arise if they just keep clonin all kinda ancient animals

i dont see anything wrong wit clonin a mammoth if they can. its only gon be 1, so that wouldnt be hard to kill if it got outta control. i think the problem would arise if they just keep clonin all kinda ancient animals

i really hope they do this

how bad would it be to have a anceint animal section to your local zoo
pimp.gif

i really hope they do this

how bad would it be to have a anceint animal section to your local zoo
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom