Jason Collins Becomes 1st Openly Gay Athlete in a Major American Team Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jason Collins is a hero no matter what you say.

He just aint a hero to me but to millions of gay people he is.

Again hows Jason Collins a hero because he admits he sleeps with other men?

He shouldn't be hated on but he definitely isn't a hero

He's someone for gays to look up to, not being afraid or ashamed for everyone to know who he is and not hiding it.

Last time I checked, Tebow didn't have to come out of the closest for being religious.

Tebow is popular because he's a polarizing figure. He's brought football some compelling stories. But what Jason Collins can do is inspire a group of people who are struggling for their rights. Tebow isn't fighting a fight. Gays are. That's why Jason can he a hero.

No one will look at you funny for your religion. They may not share the same religion, but no restrictions in place to stop Tebow from being who he is.

Gays want the same right that heterosexuals have, and that's their struggle. Jason Collins can be a voice for other athletes. Jason Collins won't be the Ellen DeGenerous of sports, but maybe he can inspire that superstar athlete to come out, and then really push the struggle to the forefront.

Last time I checked, the only thing Tebow struggled with was staying in the NFL.

I don't see how you don't see Tebow is someone Christians look up to for the same reason you say Collins is looked up to in the gay community.

Also lets be real being a super religious guy isn't the most popular thing in America.

Is it more popular than being a gay man? Maybe

Tebow is fighting a fight against the secular world. It may not be a fight to you believe in but its a fight to him nonetheless

Gays basically do have the same rights as heterosexuals now. You cant fire people because of their sexual orientation. Gays can get married now too. So lets not act like they are persecuted all the time.

I don't see how you don't see Tebow is someone Christians look up to for the same reason you say Collins is looked up to in the gay community.

Also lets be real being a super religious guy isn't the most popular thing in America.

Tebow is fighting a fight against the secular world. It may not be a fight to you believe in but its a fight to him nonetheless

Gays basically do have the same rights as heterosexuals now. You cant fire people because of their sexual orientation. Gays can get married now too. So lets not act like they are persecuted all the time.

Oh they can? Man, I'm out. :lol:.

Oh they can? Man, I'm out. :lol:.

Last time I checked they can get married in the United States

I'm not gay hating dude.

I argued a few pages ago that Collins shouldn't be persecuted because he's gay.

But I draw the line when people say he's a hero.

Last edited:
If SOMEONE can find someone to be a hero then that person by definition is a hero.

Right on....I can agree with that

By that measure Tebow is more of a hero because obviously there are more Christians than gay people in this country. Therefore he has more people who look up to him.

But why do yall feel the need to point out who is more of a hero? Why is everything a comparison? Jason is a hero. Tebow is a hero too. Nothing further. 8)

If SOMEONE can find someone to be a hero then that person by definition is a hero.

Basically. I personally don't think what he did is that big of a deal... but that's only because I think that persecuting someone for being gay is just moronic.

I'm not gay. Don't understand how one could find a man sexually attractive. But hey, I also don't really date super skinny chicks either. Like Kate Moss couldn't do it for me. Just couldn't.

I commend him for the same reasons you should. He's now living the life he wants to live and MOST IMPORTANTLY, he's not hurting anyone. As long as you aren't harming others, you should be allowed to live whatever lifestyle you choose.

Quite frankly, I think it's pretty insulting to compare this to the civil rights movement, but I won't go there. That's another discussion completely.

Last time I checked they can get married in the United States

I'm not gay hating dude.

I argued a few pages ago that Collins shouldn't be persecuted because he's gay.

But I draw the line when people say he's a hero.

He can be viewed as a hero to those who have been scared of coming out, and finally doing so.

It's easy for us to be dismissive when we don't have to deal with those kinds of things.

:lol: @ Tebow being a hero

He's a role model and an inspiration to other Republican, conservative Christians proud to have a voice in the mainstream celebrity scene. PERIOD.

Role model to 'Publicans. The end.

Hero?

Collins has people who don't like him... JUUUUST because of who he is.

"Well people don't like Tebow just because of who he is."

WRONG. People don't like Christians... let me take a step back... a majority of people who don't like Christians, the reason for the antipathy is NOT their Christianity. It's that they want EVERYTHING ELSE AROUND them to be Christian.

I couldn't be friends w/ Tebow, because I know at some point... probably all the time... he'd try to convert me.

I could be friends w/ Collins, because I'd be far confident he is NOT thinking "Man, I have to show him how awesome it is on my side. MUST... CONVERT... HIS MIND!!!"

If being a Christian simply meant being a Christian UNTO YOURSELF, far fewer people would have a problem w/ them. But so many Christians take DELIGHT in being persecuted for trying to 'spread the word'.

Collins ain't trying to convert no one to homosexuality. I've never heard any publicly gay figure say anything along the lines of "I just really wish more of you would realize how awesome this lifestyle is. Wish more of you could join me in doing what I do."

Never heard any homosexuals thank their gayness for a hard fought victory. They're just... gay. The end.

But being a Christian? It's not just "I'm a Christian. The end."

Yes. These guys are honestly worried they and their kids are gonna be gay-converted though.

Last edited:
All this does is once again promote the homosexual agenda. Jason Collins' story is everywhere now, and has received so much publicity with people at various networks and stations applauding this man's coming out party. I wached Inside The Nba and Charles Barkley was up there telling him how much of a hero he is to society, when in reality he's only a hero to people with alternative lifestyles...but this is a secular world we live in, and although I do feel people should have the right to live how they want to live..I don't feel it's necessary to propagate a lifestyle that will always be considered taboo.

If

Quite frankly, I think it's pretty insulting to compare this to the civil rights movement, but I won't go there. That's another discussion completely.

I've compared them to people who were anti-gay.But the more I thought about it you can't hide that you're Asian, Black,Brown, Latino or White. You can kinda hide that youre a homosexual. That's the difference

Last edited:

Hitler is a hero to a lot of people pal.........................

Don't mean he is one................

Jason Collins is a hero to aging, mediocre, coddled athletes...............

He will not change the life of other gay athletes, as we have yet to see an actual male SUPERSTAR admit that he's gay, than the game has changed...

.......................Still a straight man's world................... :wink:

Why isn't Hitler a hero? Because he did bad things? I am not understanding that logic. A Hero is by definition:

Noun
A person, typically a man, who is admired for courage or noble qualities.
The chief male character in a book, play, or movie, who is typically identified with good qualities.

If people believe he is a hero, than he is a hero. EVERYONE isn't a hero to everyone.

If he inspires SOMEONE, he is a hero. You don't have to agree with what he does. SOmeone does.

NT is more socially conservative than I thought. And gambit you have no idea if Collins will change the life of other gay athletes. Complete assumptions with no basis. He is also a hero to more than aging mediocre athletes. This is not an assumption

Let me ask a serious question tho.

How some of ya'll gettin offended at the jokes made in here but the jokes for years about Glen Davis, Chandler Parsons, etc. are fine? I don't get it. 
laugh.gif
I agree with this as well. Why isn't the homophobic word thrown around when folks are in here cooking Big Baby? I guess it is cool to joke about it as long as folks aren't serious huh?

Because I know people that aren't alternative lifestyles that look up to what he did, are inspired and give him respect. Thus the statement is false, not to mention it is such a far reaching statement it's hard to believe. I don't understand why people care that Collins may be a hero or seen in a positive light for what he did. Even if you don't agree with his lifestyle, why does it bother you that others find it inspiring what he did? How is that a negative thing? I feel the same way about religion as well. When people slam it, why criticize something that gives people a moral base, strength in times if weakness and inspiration in times of need? If it doesn't hurt others, let people do what they want and keep the negativity at bay

Last edited:
You have to undestand that people inspire people in other fields all the time. That is like making an assumption that Kobe's work ethic only inspires athletes. Well what if there is a student that isn't an athlete or sports fan and they happen to hear the legend of Kobe's work ethic and that in turn inspires them to be a better classroom student. So I can't agree with COllins ONLY inspiring those that are like him.

If he was a hero he'd have come out BEFORE the Draft. Let this just die already.

Go buy his book if you want but I'm tired of this crap shoved down my throat.

Now I've gotta hear my tall sister complain because her size 14 red bottom is sold out. What's the big deal honestly. He looks at Brad Pitt like I look at Angelina Jolie.

B. Griner just did it at the WNBA Draft. She should be the one getting shown love for being real.

People ask about the suit because it's different and move on. A joke here or there and that's it.

Didn't Sheryl Swooped come out a while back while she was still active? I feel like there's been a few female athletes to come out this is just the first time it's a guy, active, in a team sport. Also, gay people can get married and have it recognized in some states in the US but not all, so in most cases it's a civil union and they're not entitled to the same rights and benefits as a married couple.

I find it interesting that people stand on the religious high horse so much with this issue but I know from past experience that religion can make your world-view very small and limited.

He probably does want to get with you but he has enough respect to know you're straight and not to cross any lines.

Think about how many women you know/interact with day to day that you would smash at the drop of a hat in the right time and place but you don't go hitting on all of them. Same thing.

I don't know about the whole man's man thing. I've known gay dudes at the gym that are as thugged out as anything, they just happen to go out and smash dudes. I've also had gay clients that are as flaming as all hell but I've heard of them getting into fights out in the bar or whatever and knocking dudes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom