Jay-Z launching record label with Apple...seems official y'all!

from BoyGeniusReport:

This one's been floating around like a hot air balloon, but we've just about confirmed it. For those that don't know, Jay-Z left Def Jam as President last month, and everyone's been talking about where he's heading. While this might be one of his many other venutures, we just heard that Jay-Z is launching a record label with Apple. No, Beyonce will not be formally attached. This is from a high-up person attached to Jay (no, not who you're thinking), and it's said to be a go! Jay is supposedly totally into the business model, and really wants this to happen. Hey, Apple! Send us some MacWorld passes, and we'll cut down on the leaks, 'kay?
I dunno about y'all but this seems pretty big! Even though Hov didn't let Itunes have American Gangster, this partnership seems
eek.gif
. Can't wait to see what they will have to offer. Hopefully he will havemore success with this label, than he did with DefJam.
eyes.gif

Its cool to start ya own record label. However this takes a certain amount of dedication and focus is if he's gonna have his hands in it unless he justgonna own it and have other ppl hired to do the work to make it a success. This will probably show his true business sense some say he's a"genius" this will either prove or disprove it epecially for the dudes who think he did a great job at Def Jam.

Hopefully this label isn't only a hip hop based one and dude just signs good artists to rot there. Dude might as well go all the way n make it a recordlabel for all genres. The ppl at Apple want to make money not lose it.

smokin.gif

YESSSSSSSSSSSS just what the industry needs. Another major label that passes up good artists to sign average artists, and leave them on the shelf with nopromotion. YAY! I think this is a perfect move since Jay did so excellent at Def Jam. Say what you want but this "business savy" is played out sorry.But more power to him dude is making bank.

Originally Posted by B Rad Glockman

YESSSSSSSSSSSS just what the industry needs. Another major label that passes up good artists to sign average artists, and leave them on the shelf with no promotion. YAY! I think this is a perfect move since Jay did so excellent at Def Jam. Say what you want but this "business savy" is played out sorry. But more power to him dude is making bank.
"business savy" is played out sorry. What you mean about it being played out

Why Apple would want to penetrate a market that is dwindling perplexes me. Maybe they're thinking consolidation in the long run.

I'm certain if apple starts a record label it wont be the record label you guys are use to. They're banking off downloads. I bet this will be thebeginning of a new age in music.

Can someone explain what Jay Z leaving Def Jam means for the future of Roc A Fella? Is he still in control of that or, are those artists still under Def Jam?

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

Can someone explain what Jay Z leaving Def Jam means for the future of Roc A Fella? Is he still in control of that or, are those artists still under Def Jam?
i wanna know too, say somebody like Tru Life, album aint even drop. wth does he do/this effect him?

its a gaff. jay is like aight they ofering more money to basically do nothing, I'm with it. he on his stringer bell *%#! now, he aint doing no real work,just leetin his money work and his rep work. i aint mad, but lets be serious you think he really be doing much of anything

I think they might be trying to take the industry in another level (focus more on downloading than soundscans)

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

the way i see it, Jay is Rocafella....so where Jay goes, the labelmates go.
Kanye?

I'm certain if apple starts a record label it wont be the record label you guys are use to. They're banking off downloads. I bet this will be the beginning of a new age in music.

while i wouldnt bet on this being a new age of music, i definitely see this as an attempt at it. a big disagreement between jay and def jam wasthe business model. i think the goal is to adapt to the new era of the industry and how to make it the moneymaker it used to be.

I'm sure that it'll be no problem for Def Jam to joint venture on those Roc-A-Fella MEGA STARS. It'll be a struggle to get a fair deal on:

Memphis Bleek, Freeway, Beenie Sigel, and the Young Gunz because they've made so much money on them.

If this venture turns out to be a success it will really shape the way music is distributed and consumed by the public. This might be the beginning of a newage for the music industry. Itunes is already the largest distributor for music downloads so establishing a record label could really affect how the industryworks.

Once again i think Apple is just using Jay-z just like DJ used him as a music figure for recognition and gain credability in hopes that it will attractartists.

^thats exactly what I'm thinking, and Jay and whoever does roll with him have a huge advantage if it does succeed, because they can likely stake a greaterclaim of profits from those downloads because it cuts out the middle man in that process who was apple. I would assume an artist on that label would be able tokeep a larger portion of their profits because they don't have to crack sales checks with their label who then cracks a check with aplle for the itunesservice.

the thing that will really determine the success of the project will be if the new company can effectively promote the music while continuing to develop andadvance the specialized distribution method they basically invented. I think their is a great deal of potential in the plan as well because it allows thebusiness to weed out the numerous under-skilled, over-hyped individuals that work for most records companys. After interning a bunch of years ago its easy forme to see thats I'd rather have a bunch of computer company type nerds working on how to advance my business and increase my sales rather then thesewalking gaffs that just sit in an office all day calling radio stations begging for more spins.

wel'l see

interesting, i would imagine an apple label would probably be itunes exclusive music, this would cut alot of cost i suppose. For instance if a lesser knownartist releases a album that say only moves 30,000 copies but they are all mp3s sold on itunes that would be a huge success and very profitable as opposed toan artist that sells 30,000 CDs. Also free advertising, by putting their artists on iPod boxes and featuring them on itunes, which has been proven to improvesales they could really dominate and change the industry.

Back
Top Bottom