JB forum.. serious question about 11s...

The materials they used, especially the patent leather had never been done before, therefore, making it revolutionary.

This shoe changed the way we look at basketball shoes now.

I would say that if there would be a shoe to represent Jordan's, it would have to be the 11s. Also the movie space jam really got people's attention, IMO.

But most of the ppl camping for these, didnt see them come out in 95, or where too young to even own the 00' retro... I would say 30% is ppl who love the shoe and its history.. the rest is just hype..

IMO it's a lot of different factors. The shoe itself is undoubtedly a classic and one of the greatest sneaker designs of all time, but in my honest opinion not the greatest (that title goes to the XIIIs). A lot of it is the association with that huge comeback MVP/championship/Finals MVP/72-10 record season.

Truthfully though, a lotta young guys today just cop 'em 'cause they're a dope shoe.

Originally Posted by 1man2lives

Originally Posted by blco02

There were really so many little details on the shoe that were like nothing before it.

The outsole was CRAZY, the big thick laces were new, the carbon fiber had never been seen before, and of course the patent leather and clear outsole. Even the details like the 23 logo on the back and the greek letters on the tongue were incredible. And the nylon upper was nice too. Oh and the tongue design. Basically it was the best shoe ever. Still is.

Sorry but the 12s had a carbon plate on the sole. Shows how much you know. And the 5s have clear soles. Its hype. Not revolutionary. This shoe sat on clearance racks in 96. When the movie spacejams came out, and jordans got popular in 99/00 that's when the shoe exploded.

IMO every shoe before the XI were just shoes to wear. Then when the XI hit it was so far ahead of it's time especially in looks (no other shoe was ever as flashy) that shoes all of a sudden became collectables. Now here we are...

Originally Posted by inchecksince81

When MJ broke these out with the patent leather it was like +!%? Then it was like HELL YEAH! The most unique sneaker ever IMO. Everything goes together so well. They were so ahead of their time design wise, now today they still havent been matched. Just an overall amazing, eye catching shoe.

yes, a very eye catching shoe. People who dont have a care in the world about sneaker will make comments about them.

its def because of the space jams
almost any 11's will sell like hot cakes because of the space jams

The year MJ took a huge number 2 on NBA, 72-10 nuff said
pimp.gif

Back hen People actually loved em. The patent leather, icey sole, and carbon fiber were new things. The sneaker community fell in love.

in 00/01 people still actually loved them

in todays times a small percentage of people that bought OG's and 00's still collect. 80% of the people were kids who bought em with their parent's money. They bought them for the "Swag"

XI's are cool but i think they are a bit overrated. i think other styles from the Jordan line are better like the III's, IV's & VII's

It's funny because back then, with the OG's, atleast with me in high school, everyone hated on it to a certain extent. I had OG Concords, Columbias, Black/Red (Hate the term Breds), during my sophomore year of high school and everyone always clowned. Even teammates on the basketball team. lol

Crazy how times change along with perception. Some are fans, while many are just on the bandwagon. I can pretty much say, these did change the game when it came to MJ's signature shoes. Even my pops back then in 95 loved them and got himself a pair. Considering how the IX and X"s look, this was a dramatic change in style/appearance. It was like looking at a concept car in shoe terms.
pimp.gif

I do agree with others though, the performance in basketball use was alright, kinda hurt my feet at times. I enjoyed playing in the Jordan Team I's and Eddie Jones' Jordan Pro Quick compared to the XI's in high school. 
laugh.gif

there's several reasons why

-1995-1996 season where Bulls went 72-10 and swept every team in the playoffs
-Michael Jordan had come back in full force and this shoe defined that
-Return of clear soles, but this time with a blue tint (nothing like it before)
-One of the first sneakers to use patent leather as a major design element (nothing like it before)
-One of the first sneakers that could be as popular on the court as it could be fore casual wear
-Its resemblance to a dress shoe gave them a elegant appearance
-The tounge tag and 23 on the back of the shoe were very futuristic for the time
-GREAT basketball shoes with good tractioning
-Zoom Air for the first time
-Lightweight feel on foot
-New type of midsole design that allowed more flex
-Good colorways that accentuated its elegant design
-A LOT of celebrities wore them in 1995-96
-One of the first sneakers to use a carbon fiber shank plate

laugh.gif
 So many XI threads lately, its got me thinkin this is EZboard and Im in "XI Forum" again. 

feelsgoodman
happy.gif

look up as to why tinker designed them the way he did. the 11 is basically mike jordans "new beginning" meaning another 3 peat. the patent leather which is shiny represents mikes time to shine. i just love the history of this shoe and the fact that he wore them when they went 72-10. such great times. 

Originally Posted by sthebest

there's several reasons why

-1995-1996 season where Bulls went 72-10 and swept every team in the playoffs
-Michael Jordan had come back in full force and this shoe defined that
-Return of clear soles, but this time with a blue tint (nothing like it before)
-One of the first sneakers to use patent leather as a major design element (nothing like it before)
-One of the first sneakers that could be as popular on the court as it could be fore casual wear
-Its resemblance to a dress shoe gave them a elegant appearance
-The tounge tag and 23 on the back of the shoe were very futuristic for the time
-GREAT basketball shoes with good tractioning
-Zoom Air for the first time
-Lightweight feel on foot
-New type of midsole design that allowed more flex
-Good colorways that accentuated its elegant design
-A LOT of celebrities wore them in 1995-96
-One of the first sneakers to use a carbon fiber shank plate

they're the most recognizable shoe. from non-shoe heads to legit shoe heads.that signature "what goes up must come down" tv ad.  and yeah, that 72-10 accomplishment back in 96. i think no team can EVER do that again. EVER. and i mean it. haha. 
THANKS RED  

The design at that time was crazy never seen patent leather on a pair of shoes but I was 12 so wat do I kno... not to mention 72-10 record, the Bulls was on a tear that year. But lets be real it wasn't just this shoe, the Jordan line was a beast in it's own right design wise totally changed the game even the team Jordans was killin it back in the day

i remember seeing the black/reds for the first time in 8th grade and they were THE shoe that made me like jordans, and space jams being the reason why everyone likes them? seriously a childs movie made these crazy hyped? come on man grow up and do some homework before you comment

Alot of people dont realize this and you can ask Tinker about it.. but Mike hated the X.. (people know this)

But Tinker basically took design cues from the X and added the Shroud/Sheath of the Patent Leather and made it what it is..

As far as OverHype .... EVERY Jordan I - XVII is overhyped because people (younger folks) live on memories.. not actual first hand knowledge of what MJ was and what he did.

The XI specifically stands out as everyone has said because it was sooo forward....BUT again... when they released the first time.. there was no rush to get them.. they say a LONG time on shelves....

Around our way only the dudes who stood on the corners and rich kids could afford them.... but they next to the IIs are my fav Jay of all time.

Back
Top Bottom