Job hunt before or after new years

Just a quick question, is it worth sending out applications prior to new years? I'm wondering if all the ones prior to new years get trashed, new ones might show up first, etc.

Any suggestions, comments, thoughts?

I'm in the same predicament. I want to believe that hiring managers and such start over in the year, looking for those that want a new start themselves.

Hey man they toss all the resumes from 2011.  You minus well wait....

laugh.gif
 you can't be serious.

I talked to a temp agency that told me that this is the time where they get the most amount of calls because they are looking for people to help them out while they prepare for their audits and whatnot. I would try there and just continue to be on your regular applying grind before and after the new year

Originally Posted by MonStar1

laugh.gif
 you can't be serious.

Eh... I don't know...seems like something that companies could just randomly do...They come up with all sorts of methods to their madness and ways to eliminate applicants
I've been interested in learning the answer to this myself. 
Hopefully those that are in charge of employing others may know... 

I filled out an application online for a job opening 3 days ago. They called me back within 2 days, and granted me an interview.

Originally Posted by MonStar1

laugh.gif
 you can't be serious.
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
 You can't be serious. 
laugh.gif

OP, it doesn't hurt to just keep trying regardless what time of the year it is. Good Luck bro. 

Im awaiting word on 2 jobs now, Guessing will be after xmas now when I hear word

You are about to over-think yourself out of an opportunity... Apply as soon as possible. You might not get word back until after the holidays but you still need to get your app in

And if you are that worried, apply again in 2012

A lot of people are using their vacation time being that its the end of the year. They pretty much stop working around this time and are just bodies in an office

is this guy serious

ppl are going on vacation.

I would toss your resume if you turned it in to me now. Anyone submitting resumes during this time lacks the common sense to work in my industry.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

is this guy serious

ppl are going on vacation.

I would toss your resume if you turned it in to me now. Anyone submitting resumes during this time lacks the common sense to work in my industry.
You are thinking in a small box there, sir - I'm sure in your industry, hiring is limited. However, the OP never mentioned what industry. For many companies it makes sense to start the hiring process before the start of the new year, so that the onboarding can be effective close to Jan. 2nd.

real life...

but then after the new years, i bet there are a ton of applications based of of new years resolutions....

get your self in a temp agency. they do all the work for you and call u when they got an interview for you. i got a call last night and have an interview today

I would wait until after the New Year. As mentioned above offices are pretty quiet around the holidays.

Originally Posted by a55a5in11

get your self in a temp agency. they do all the work for you and call u when they got an interview for you. i got a call last night and have an interview today

I said this already but I feel its worth repeating, temp agencies are a great option at this time of year

Marketing field. Just graduated and looking at ad agencies.
Temp agencies is short term. I think im just gonna keep applying

Interesting. Couple years ago I was looking for employment around this time of year. Never got a single reply prior to new years or for resumes sent before new years. Ended up with a job in February from the batch of resumes sent in January.

I'm not sure. Could be a coincidence. Maybe some expirementing is needed?

I would expect there to be more applications and resumes after the new year.

Seems like yours would have a greater chance of getting "lost" if you submit it after new years'.

Back
Top Bottom