.::Job Hunting Vol. Internet Applications vs. In Person Applications::.

Hey, NT... I was recently reluctantly let go of my supervisor position and now I'm looking for a new job. So far I filled out quite a few applications online and none in person because, honestly, I hate the whole "job hunting" experience. My mom asked me if I got a job yet (I was JUST let go Sunday the 24th), I tell her no and she says, "see, you need to go in person and fill out applications" lol.

In my opinion, it doesn't make any difference whether I apply in person or online but what do you folks think?

Originally Posted by treewing

Hey, NT... I was recently reluctantly let go of my supervisor position and now I'm looking for a new job. So far I filled out quite a few applications online and none in person because, honestly, I hate the whole "job hunting" experience. My mom asked me if I got a job yet (I was JUST let go Sunday the 24th), I tell her no and she says, "see, you need to go in person and fill out applications" lol.

In my opinion, it doesn't make any difference whether I apply in person or online but what do you folks think?

do companies even have paper applications anymore? most of the time they tell you to fill it out online and they'll contact youobviously, face to face would be the best way

Where are you looking? What resources are you using and what type of job are you looking for?

How's your resume?

But why do a face to face application drop off unless you're going to do an "on the spot" interview?

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

Where are you looking? What resources are you using and what type of job are you looking for?

How's your resume?
My background is in guest service management so I've been looking into retail positions. As far as resources are concerned I've used Monster to help me look for openings and friends who come across leads.

Most places only have on-line apps.
So its best if u fill those out, and try
to find out if u can get any inside help
if u kno people from the inside.

Originally Posted by QueenCitySneakerQueen

I've had better luck with applications I filled out online as oppose to paper applications. Did you check Craigslist?
I am extremely skeptical about Craigslist. I feel like I would call one of those phone numbers asking about a job position and it ends up being some fat, smelly, hairy dude who eats cheese puffs looking for a rub and tug, lol... A bit far fetched but I'm just skeptical...

But why do a face to face application drop off unless you're going to do an "on the spot" interview?
See that depends on the job. I can understand at a Target or any other large, impersonal organization that an online app would be more efficient while yielding the same results, but if you're looking for an office type job and something a little bit more serious, that extra effort and incentive to show up face to face and inquire about a position goes a long way. Not to mention, if you show up with a legitimate, top notch resume printed on weighted quality paper, you better believe your chances of an interview are a lot higher. Having that physical resume in front of you, on your desk is a lot better than an email that can be easily overlooked.

I've had better luck with applications I filled out online as oppose to paper applications. Did you check Craigslist?
I am extremely skeptical about Craigslist. I feel like I would call one of those phone numbers asking about a job position and it ends up being some fat, smelly, hairy dude who eats cheese puffs looking for a rub and tug, lol... A bit far fetched but I'm just skeptical...

I landed two jobs off of Craigslist 1. Bon Ton 2. Dash Market.  I only applied to well known retail places directly through their websites.  Of course there are skeptical listings but there are a lot of opportunities.

you said retail, so online is the best way. knock out 10 a day you will have an interview within a month.

Be careful with craigslist. I know several people who have replied to ads on the website only for the jobs to turn out to be complete scams. I'd say one or two out of the twenty ads are legit.

From experience, most of the time you hear "We don't have paper applications, go apply online" is because they don't like you off the spot. That's how it was when I worked.

See that depends on the job. I can understand at a Target or any other large, impersonal organization that an online app would be more efficient while yielding the same results, but if you're looking for an office type job and something a little bit more serious, that extra effort and incentive to show up face to face and inquire about a position goes a long way. Not to mention, if you show up with a legitimate, top notch resume printed on weighted quality paper, you better believe your chances of an interview are a lot higher. Having that physical resume in front of you, on your desk is a lot better than an email that can be easily overlooked.
Ok, I definitely understand your point. Showing up to present my application/resume in a more professional environment would be the best thing I could do.

QueenCity, I'll definitely give Craigslist a shot but if I end up in some creepy old man's basement I will find you... lol.

Thanks for the advice guys:smile:

How's your resume?
My background is in guest service management so I've been looking into retail positions. As far as resources are concerned I've used Monster to help me look for openings and friends who come across leads.
Ahhh okay. I see what you're looking for now. Definitely spend 5-6 hours A DAY scouring the internet. THIS is your job now. Sites like Monster.com are a great start. Don't underestimate Craigslist. There's a lot of trash to sift through, but there are a lot of gems there as well. If you're serious about finding a job ASAP then you can't afford to not look at Craigslist.

I

Did you check out Toys R Us, I know they've been looking for supervisors for a while now .. also check Baby's R Us too .. btw stores that accept in store applications usually don't do online applications and vice versa

Also you should go to those stores and speak with either the manager or HR person after you've put in an online application

When you go speak to the Manager or HR after submitting on online application what should you say to them? Also should you go in dress clothes when you speak to them or when you're job hunting in general?

If you go to places like best buy around summer they did a lot of face to face convos and interviews to feel people out. If they wanted you to apply they'd say go online still tho

Most companies use the online application process.
HR screens the applications, and then I screen who they have filtered in.  This insures that I only spend my time interviewing the best job seekers.

The best thing for you to do is submit as many online applications/electronic resumes as you can.  For the jobs that you are most interested in, go by
"suited and booted" and ask to speak with the hiring manager.  Introduce yourself and state that you have already submitted and electronic application.
Also let him/her know your interest and what you can do for the company, and hand him/her a hardcopy of your resume alone with a small thankyou note for his/her time.

This leaves a great impression and puts a person at the top of the hundreds of the faceless e-applicants.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom